Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several questions about changing the oil and oil filter on this forum and on others, so I thought I would do a write up as I did mine for the first time. Take not e that are one or two things that I did this time that I would not recommend or do again. :D

First thing I did was pick up my oil and filter. I used Penzoil 5w-20 and a Mobil-1 part no. M1-103.

I then jacked up the front of the car with a floor jack at the jack point under the front of the car. Because I did not feel comfortable crawling around under the car with it resting solely on the jack I placed jack stands at the jack points on each side of the front of the car. I used a block of wood on top of the jack stands because I was afraid the jack stand might damage the underside of the car. This is one of the point I probably wouldn't do again. I would use ramps if you have them or get some before you change your oil. If you do this make sure you have some solid wood. If there is any chance that wood or is rotten or is not a hard wood do not use it. Here is a pic of how mine:

You can see how close the body is to touching the wood. I watched to make sure as I lowered the car down to make sure it wasnt going to touch. DO NOT LET THE CAR DOWN FAST! I left the jack under the front just to give it some extra support. I may try to make something to go over the jack stand so that I would feel more comfortable about the jack points resting on the jack stand but will probably get ramps instead before I change the oil again.

Next I removed three pins that are holding the shield in place below the oil filter. This was simple. All you have to do is pry out the center of the pin just a bit and then pull the pin assembly out.

I then just pulled the shield down a bit. It looks as though it was made to bend down but I was careful not to get to carried away with trying to bend it.

I then attempted to get the filter off with one of the metal filter wrenches that wrap around the filter. It was a very tight fit and didn't really have the room to get in there and turn it. The filter was on very tight! So I went to the local O'reileys and picked up the filter wrench that attaches to a socket wrench. I highly recommend getting one of these. It only cost around $6 and is very worth it.

Did I say the filter was on very tight? I had to put a paper towel inside this filter wrench to keep the wrench from spinning around the filter it was on there so tight. I don't think I have ever seen a filter that was tightened that much.

continued.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The new Mobil 1 looked good it appears to have a check valve in it:

But once I compared it to the stock Toyota one I realzed it was a little shorter than the stock one.

I would use the genuine Toyota one, as I would prefer to have the little extra oil flow. It is probably minimal but if a Toyota dealer is handy i would pick one up.

Putting the filter back on was a snap and then I buttoned the shield back up. Just push the pins back in place making sure the center pin locks into the outer pin as you push them back in.

I went ahead and drained the oil with the car jacked up. It takes a 14mm wrench or socket and was easy to reach and remove.

I then refilled the car with 4 qts of oil. Took a quick spin and rechecked the oil level and it was right on the full mark.

Notes:

Ramps would make the change much simpler, but can be done without. However you must be careful not to damage anything!

The Toyota filter APPEARS to be the better filter. I have used Mobil 1's in the past and have not heard anything bad about them. I just liked the extra size of the stock one.

Get the socket style filter wrench much easier to work with.

Overall it wasn't that bad. I thought it would be a pain getting the cover off but once I got under there and looked at it, it was pretty easy. Did I say the filter was on tight? :D

It was easy enough that I don't think I would trust carrying to the local oil change place(I never carry any of my cars there anyways) to have them change it. I would be leary of them puillling the cover back and putting the pins back in.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Thanks for the wite-up, TJ198! Next year when I reach my 4th oil change (because 1& 2 are on Scion and 3 is on the dealer) I'll be looking here again.

From where did you drain the oil?

BTW, do you know if the filter is tight?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drained the oil from the oil pan. I would recommend loosening the oil cap on top of the engine before you do anything else. I have heard it helps the oil to drain better and I have also heard that people have had a hard time of getting it off after they drain the oil if you don't loosen it first. I have never had it happen to me but I guess it builds up pressure.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My hats off to you TJ198. I generally like to leave this to the mechanics. I know it is easy and I should save money buy doing it myself. I just hate having to recycle the oil and all the mess it creates. I guess if I didn't live in an apartment it would be much easier for me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
did my first oil change today-

same japanese strongman installed my filter also :flex:

i found out after i drained the pan-so i put in the new and drove to napa for a three prong oil filter thing that goes on a ratchet -worked like a charm-as it should have for 23 bucks :rofl:

·
Registered
2008 xB
566 Posts
DIY Oil Change Instructions

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, & filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.

2) Stop by 7/11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive home.

3) Open a beer and drink it.

4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.

5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.

6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.

7) Place drain pan under engine.

8 ) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.

9) Give up and use crescent wrench.

10) Unscrew drain plug.

11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss.

12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.

13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.

14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.

15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.

16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. You deserve another beer.

17) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.

18) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.

19) Remember drain plug from step 11.

20) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.

21) Drink another beer.

22) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.

23) Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill. Drink a beer.

24) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame.

25) Begin cussing it.

26) Throw stupid crescent wrench.

27) Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.

28) Beer.

29) Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow.

30) Beer.

31) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.

32) Beer.

33) Lower car from jack stands.

34) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during any missed steps.

35) Beer.

36) Test drive car.

37) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.

38) Car gets impounded.

39) Call loving wife, make bail.

40) Twelve hours later, get car from impound yard.

41) Job complete.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Geezer, I LOVE it. Still laughing. Bet you can't wait to do the anti freeze in a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I've been telling you guys that he's one of the funniest writers on this site. Most of the time the humor is so subtle that it hits you AFTER you read his posts.

·
Registered
2008 xB
566 Posts
Thank you, thank you. I try to be informative and entertaining, but I'm never really sure if I pull it off. It's not an original piece...I got it in an e-mail from a friend today. It reminded me of a similar scenario I've been part of on many occasions (except for the jail part), and is why I no longer do my own oil changes..

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hmmm, this assumes that this is a first time DIY oil change or maybe too much beer...and that the lower engine protection panel had been removed and/or modified to allow access to the oil filter on an earlier oil/filter change. Never the less it is still funny! :thumbsup:

Brewski

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
boostedegos said:
TJ198- Nice work. Don't forget that you need a new drain plug washer and to mention the drain plug socket size... I think it is a 14mm?
Thanks, I have changed the way I jack it up and put the jack stands in different places now. Makes it much easier. I need to update this. Maybe next time I change the oil I will try to take a few pictures.

p.s. that was pretty funny. :rofl:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nice Step-by-Step OC procedure. I am going to starting doing my own OC after the first two free services, about 9K. I'll be using Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and SuperTech Filter (I had good experience with this one, even though it's WALMART brand).

·
Registered
240 Posts
What's the size for the oil drain plug? Is it 14mm? Is it BOX or HEXAGON shaped socket?

·
Registered
783 Posts
not to be off subject any, but i didn't have that piece of plastic, i just drove up on some Rhino Ramps, and went to town.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.