Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone change their the oil on the XB2? Where is the oil filter? How hard is it to get to?

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Clay said:
Did anyone change their the oil on the XB2? Where is the oil filter? How hard is it to get to?
Interior mods?!?! hey Eric, can you move this to the correct area of the forum? DIY, maybe?

That's not going to be an issue for me until about Janurary or February of 2009.. Scion picks up the first 2 ( at 5 and 10k miles) and the dealer I bought mine from threw in number 3 at 15k.

On the other hand, would be nice to know when the time does come.

Anyone?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I changed mine at 1800 miles. It's a cakewalk. Vertical filter at the front right corner. Easy access to the drain plug too. If you have ramps, that will make life easy to get under there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Will all the oil drain properly if the front end is up on ramps? Or would it better to have the car sitting level? Just curious... I like to do my own oil changes but I won't have to worry about it for several months.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The drain plug is at the rear of the pan. By raising the front of the car on the ramps, that should only help in draining the oil fully.

I always button everything back up, add 4 quarts, check for leaks while up on the ramps, then drop it down. After that, I'll let it sit for a while on the level before checking and topping off the oil.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah I like the 2 free service that come with the car, very nice. Although since I want to use Synthetic oil in the car I am going to have to pay extra for that.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Vegas rocks. We go there a couple of times a year. My cousin lives there not far from the strip so we stay with him and it helps the cost. We are only 5 hours away.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Any additional input on using synthetic oil? Does using synthetic affect the warranty?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Thanks for the info on filter location.

I plan on changing my own after the 10,000 mile service/change/check.
Any known recommendations on oil/filter type or brand?
(In oil, certain brands have a consistency or additive that is either really good for a particular car or especially bad for it.)

In my Miata, I use regular Pennzoil 5w-30 (cold) or 10w-30 (warm) and Purolator Pure-One or Wix filters (Napa Gold is a Wix), based on recommendations by several well known Miata mechanics and shops. In a Miata, the natural olis in the Pennzoil (and in Valvoline) help lubricate the seals and certain parts. Using sythetics, you need to use special additives or you WILL have notable oil leaks. The same is true for the RX-8 rotary engines.
(That is for 89/90-200?-> NA and NB Miatas, the NC/New body style/tub is a bit different.)

I'm not sure what the recommendations for Scion xBs are . . .
Recommendations?

(Mods, if this strays to far off topic, feel free to break this post into its own thread.)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I ran Penzoil in all of the cars I ever owned except for my two VW's. Those I ran Valvoline because that is the oil used by the dealer. Probalby will run penzoil in this car as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm using the Toyota OEM filter and Toyota OEM synthetic 0W-20 oil. The prices for each are very reasonable. The filters are under $4, and the oil is about $4.50 per quart.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Maytag said:
I'm using the Toyota OEM filter and Toyota OEM synthetic 0W-20 oil. The prices for each are very reasonable. The filters are under $4, and the oil is about $4.50 per quart.
using Toyota OEM filters is the thing to do no matter which oil you use - they have some type of internal seal in the filter that keeps some of the oil in the top of the engine for better lubrication when starting engine.

·
Registered
635 Posts
yanges said:
using Toyota OEM filters is the thing to do no matter which oil you use - they have some type of internal seal in the filter that keeps some of the oil in the top of the engine for better lubrication when starting engine.
Thanks for posting that info yanges. I wonder if they will automatically use the Toyota OEM filter when I take it in or if it is something I will have to request. I am going to check on that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I changed my own oil at the 10k mark.

Used the toyota filter (bought a 10 pack from sparks) and used Mobil 1 0w-20 (Wal-Mart carries it.)

I thought lifting the car was a pain because I wanted to drive it up some ramps but the fender hangs way too low so I had to use a floor jack instead.

Unscrewing the filter was a little tough too because all my filter wrenches are sized for big truck oil filters, so I had to use some finesse to get the oil filter unscrewed.

Really, it's pretty easy though. I can't imagine why anyone would pay someone to do this, especially since you know a dealer is going to use the wrong oil (they all do) and a Jiffy lube is going to use both the wrong oil and the wrong filter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts