Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on changing my own oil soon after my second free service. I have a question though, can I get away with putting one quart of oil or do I need to fill up with the 5 quart one. I just want to know because it seems like buying the stuff I need for the oil change goes close to the price range of getting it down at the toyota dealer.

· Registered
63 Posts
Im not sure if I understand the question...

The oil circulates around the engine and washes away material along with keeping it lubricated. If you have metal to metal contact you can get a warning of things to come when you see slivers of metal in the oil. The oil also breaks down due to the heat and it gets acidic. The idea of changing the oil is to keep oil that is the right thickness ( not scorched from heat etc.) and to protect the engine. Change the filter and the oil and you keep the engine running strong. If you need to add oil between regular changes it would normally mean thier is a problem. A spot on the driveway tells you the same thing. If the engine has been run hard and is old it might have a few drops when you first park. A new car that is running right should not show any real oil use at all. IF you keep your engine clean you can see leaks and attend to them.

The two problems with oil is from age. If it sits alot you actually can have oil go bad and you still change it. Thats why they say x miles or x months in most cases. The oil can get overheated and burned in which case its no longer the right viscosity or thickness. The other is its full of soot and such. New oil is clean and really old oil looks black. Its better to change it before it shows. Why take the chance of having to replace an engine?
My 130,000 mile chevy pickup has done alot of road miles but not driven hard so the engine is still tight and does not need oil between the changes either.

· Registered
474 Posts
xsalvationx said:
I plan on changing my own oil soon after my second free service. I have a question though, can I get away with putting one quart of oil or do I need to fill up with the 5 quart one. I just want to know because it seems like buying the stuff I need for the oil change goes close to the price range of getting it down at the toyota dealer.
I too, am not sure that I understand the question. :dontgetit:

I check my oil, at least once a month and have not had to add any oil between changes at 5K miles. I don't know what oil you planned on using when you do it yourself, but unless you are going to a synthetic oil, you should be able to do an oil (and filter) change much cheaper than the dealer will charge. (For the record I purchased a service plan when I bought my xB2...and am happy with my dealer's service department.)

Brewski

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
If you change your oil . . .
Use 4.5 quarts, as that is what the engine needs. Don't use 1 quart (not near enough) OR 5 (too much).
Also, make sure that oil is 0w-20 or 5w-20, as that is the spec Toyota called for it to use.

· Registered
474 Posts
TartanJack said:
Use 4.5 quarts, as that is what the engine needs. Don't use 1 quart (not near enough) OR 5 (too much).
Also, make sure that oil is 0w-20 or 5w-20, as that is the spec Toyota called for it to use.
Hey TartanJack...filter change at the same time as oil change. :yes:

Brewski

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Brewski said:
TartanJack said:
Hey TartanJack...filter change at the same time as oil change. :yes:

Brewski
That would be assumed . . . I hope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.