Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's a tip from the ISUZU forum that i decided to try b/c they say it helps reduce oil consumption in Isuzu engines. :)
When the oil level is down slightly add 1/2 qt. of Shell Rotella oil to the crankcase and drive it a few days or weeks...... added to the old oil in the engine.

Afterward, either change the filter and add 1/2 qt of Rotella and repeat process, or replace oil and filter and see what results you get. :biggrin:

I did this using Rotella for a week or so prior to a oil and filter change (Mobil 1) a couple of weeks ago. I just got back from a 3100+ mile trip and little or no oil consumption!!! :) Quite frankly, i'm surprised at this result! :eek:

I kept checking the oil level at each gas fillup for the first 1000 miles, and then decided no need. I did check again after 2200 miles, and the oil level was right where it had been since the oil and filter change. Wow. Apparently the Rotella has more detergents in it than typical dino oil per the forum discussion. Good result whatever the reason.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Rotella oils have a high zinc and phosphorous content, they are very popular among hotrodders and bikers. they are commonly used for breaking in new or rebuilt engines in the hotrod community. designed for deisel engines but becuase of the high zinc and phosphorous, they are becoming more popular, Other oils have the same properties as Rotella like Mobil Delvac which is also a deisel engine oil and Chevron Delo, another product similar is royal purple, but is an additive. All have high Zinc and phosphorous contents which has shown to have better wear protection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.