Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil: Pennzoil Platinum 0W20
Oil Filter: OEM Toyota Filter
Air Filter: AFE Pro Dry S

Note: They accidently used the WRONG engine type for the universal averages (they used the old xB engine), but I did change to the proper values posted below. I did email them about this and they will probably fix it tomorrow for me with new information. However, that does change the comment section because my silicon will be only 2PPM over the average, compared to 5PPM before. Either way, VERY little wear. Excellent oil, oil filter, and air filter combo :)

Comments:
We are not sure how much silicon this oil starts out with, so we aren't sure whether the extra
silicon we found here is coming from the oil itself, or if it's from another harmless source, like leftover
sealers from when the engine was new. One thing we are sure of: it's not anything abrasive, because wear
looks terrific. The fuel is a common find in engines that see a lot of city driving and/or idling. We don't
consider fuel to be a problem until it reads above 2.0%. No antifreeze found. This Toyota engine is wearing
very well and should last you for years.

My Results / Average

ALUMINUM: ~~~~ 2 / 3
CHROMIUM: ~~~ 0 / 0
IRON: ~~~~~~~ 8 / 10
COPPER: ~~~~~ 1 / 2
LEAD: ~~~~~~~ 1 / 2
TIN: ~~~~~~~~~0 / 1
MOLYBDENUM:~ 55 / 90
NICKEL:~~~~~~ 0 / 0
MANGANESE:~~~ 0 / 0
SILVER: ~~~~~ 0 / 0
TITANIUM:~~~~ 0 / 0
POTASSIUM:~~ 0 / 1
BORON:~~~~~~~ 8 / 39
SILICON: ~~~~~19 / 17
SODIUM: ~~~~~4 / 14
CALCIUM: ~~~1993 / 2347
MAGNESIUM:~~ 10 / 121
PHOSPHORUS: 623 / 719
ZINC: ~~~~~~~~734 / 853
BARIUM: ~~~~~~ 1 / 0

Properties:

SUS Viscosity @ 210*F: ~~53.0 / 56-63
cSt Viscosity @ 100*C: ~~8.19 / 9.1-11.3
Flashpoint in *F: ~~~~~~~370 / >365
Fuel %:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 0.8 / <2.0
Antifreeze: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~0 / 0
Water %: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~0 / <0.1
Insolubles %:~~~~~~~~~~ 0.3 / <0.6

Overall, VERY happy with the performance of this oil. Wear numbers are lower then normal averages for this engine. Engine was ran quite hard during this period as well, redlining it quite a few times and battling extensive up-hill's in 2 and 3rd gear for minutes at a time on the trip I took prior to the drain. Engine was definitely put to the test! I'm not that easy on it!

· Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Interesting. Is this because of the oil used? Or becasue of the wieght of the oil? Do you have any idea what results other oil types/viscosities would produce? What about what Scion uses?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well different oils give you different results. The oil I used happened to do extremely well. We have the same engine as the Camry/Rav4, so any UOA from those engines will show you. Out of the ones I saw though, I had less wear then any of them. Our engine likes PP 0w20!

· Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Invertalon said:
Well different oils give you different results.
I realise that, but how different? I am guessing there may be some out there to avoid.

The oil I used happened to do extremely well. We have the same engine as the Camry/Rav4, so any UOA from those engines will show you. Out of the ones I saw though, I had less wear then any of them. Our engine likes PP 0w20!

· Registered
64 Posts
Bob, if you go to bobistheoilguy.com you'll see a lot of UOA results posted. Obviously there won't be too many xB UOA's, but you can probably get a decent amount of Toyota 2.4 engine results.

As far as oil, no mainstream, major brand oil should show vastly different results in our motor over a 5K interval, in the correct viscosity. If a UOA were to come back with serious wear issues, it won't be the oil, as long as a quality filter was used, as well as a reasonable interval.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, you won't see that big of differences at short intervals, but you will notice differences. For example, Mobil 1 is nororious for high iron readings. Pretty consistent among many engines compared to other oils.

However, how "bad" that is though is debatable.

I was just curious how my engine was doing so I did the test... For $26, it's fun to see :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.