Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
It depends on what sound you are looking for. I have an aftermarket radio with dual 12in'' subs in the back. I just love bass for the hip hop and metal I listen to, but when I listen to talk radio I turn the bass off. The amp I have is mono, which is mostly all bass power to the subs, so I don't think you want that. Again it all depends what you listen to I guess.

·
Registered
647 Posts
To be honest I really think that the stock speakers are really not bad quality. You would need to spend some $$$ to gain a serious difference. I put a Memphis amp on my stock speakers and they sounded very respectable.

A month ago I found an incredible deal on 2 sets of 6.5 Digital Designs components. I made the change and the comps do sound better on the same amp but you are talking about a $500+ upgrade.

I would suggest that you buy a quality 4 channel amp (75-100 rms x 4) and power the stockers for a while. Then save up the cash for high $$ components IF you feel that the stock speakers aren't good enough.

If you dont mind buying used, search craigslist for Audison or Hertz for high quality amps. I use Digital Designs which you can also find some really good deals at times.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Oh and when you are ready for the BOOM shoot me a PM. I may still have some of my stuff available. DD M1A (1200 rms mono block), New DD M1B (1500 rms mono block), 2 RE Audio SEX 12's (600 rms each). All in excellent condition!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your biggest issue is whatever component system you run in the front the tweeters sometimes can be very harsh and fatigue your ears. When I first bought mine the factory system made me want to cry. You're going to want to focus a better amount of your budget towards the front components. The rear door is the wash so I don't think you need to splurge there. I went with all jl audio components however I am still not satisfied and I find the high end still too harsh. So now I am hunting out for the perfect tweeter that will fit in the factory install spot.

·
Registered
159 Posts
it all depends on how you want your imaging and everything in the car. with separates you can mount the tweeters wherever you want and can make the voices come from wherever you want, with coaxials in the doors you cant. running just the door speakers, with or without components, a 4-ch would be fine. you're gonna get clearer sound and better sound using a 4-channel but you can use them off the head unit. when you decide to add subs later, get a sub amp. make sure the head unit you get has front rear and sub outputs, not all do.

·
Premium Member
2011 Scion xB Release Series 8.0 SoundWave
747 Posts
To be honest I really think that the stock speakers are really not bad quality. You would need to spend some $$$ to gain a serious difference. I put a Memphis amp on my stock speakers and they sounded very respectable.

A month ago I found an incredible deal on 2 sets of 6.5 Digital Designs components. I made the change and the comps do sound better on the same amp but you are talking about a $500+ upgrade.

I would suggest that you buy a quality 4 channel amp (75-100 rms x 4) and power the stockers for a while. Then save up the cash for high $$ components IF you feel that the stock speakers aren't good enough.

If you dont mind buying used, search craigslist for Audison or Hertz for high quality amps. I use Digital Designs which you can also find some really good deals at times.

I agree, they have a pretty even sound and alot of buddies in my industry (12volt) agree that they sound great; if you feed them good sound and cross them off above 40hz. Even full range they sound great.

As far as amps and speakers, like maninthebox we are audionuts and believe in equal money spent in front and back. I run a/d/s 6 channel as my primary music amp and a boston to the sub. I plan on replacing the tweeters with a aluminum or silk and adding a 4" or 3" mid to the door and bi amping the front channels. Components are the way to go if your budget will allow.

I sold car audio for 9 years and i always told my customers to buy what sounds good to them. If you see a brand pimpin big wattage numbers, RUN RUN, like its the irs and run... Brands I like:
Alpine, Pioneer Stage 4, Kenwood Excelon, Kef, a/d/s, dynaudio, Focal, HiVi, Peerless, Vifa, Sonus, Boston Acoustics, old MB Quart, JL Audio upper end.

Best advice from all of this, Grab a good listening cd, the kind of music you like but not metal, country or rap and go to your local best buy or similar and hit the home audio department and listen to some speakers and figure out what you like. Then forget you have a wallet and hit the car audio department, not Best buy, all there speakers were bought under contract or are entry level crap.

Insider advice, be careful we salespeople take training classes on how to get you to part with your money. When your ready to buy chances are one of us on here can help you not pay retail. Amped Performance sells stuff too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Insider advice, be careful we salespeople take training classes on how to get you to part with your money. When your ready to buy chances are one of us on here can help you not pay retail. Amped Performance sells stuff too.
That is too true. ive worked at all those big chains and we took what were called "elearning" classes. the most boring thing in the world! especially when you are an installer they are making take the courses so they can put you on the sales floor instead of hiring someone new. anyway, lol. They teach all kinds of things to make you think a certain way and before you know it you're broke with stuff thats mediocre at best, and they make a killing. thats one of the main reasons i went into business for myself. i didnt want to sell people things they didnt need and overcharge just to line someone elses pocket. unfortunately i cant carry people like audison, boston, mb quart, JL or arc audio, because they are VERY strict with thier retailers and since im primarily e-commerce i cant carry them. however the mainstream companies everyone knows, i can carry, and they all have top end separates, find what you like and lemme know, i can most likely do better than a retail store since i have no overhead.

·
Registered
846 Posts
One of the things that I used in the home was a graphic equalizer. It is used for tailering the components to the environment.Now recievers and surround sound amps's have this built in. A long time ago I installed an equalizer in one of my cars,and it helped shape the sound for me. I don't know if today's componants have this in them.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
One of the things that I used in the home was a graphic equalizer. It is used for tailering the components to the environment.Now recievers and surround sound amps's have this built in. A long time ago I installed an equalizer in one of my cars,and it helped shape the sound for me. I don't know if today's componants have this in them.
Eq's for cars? you have to be careful, home a/v is a simple platform, that is to say that the environment in a home has:
almost no reflective surfaces, except hard floors.
most walls absorb sound better
electricity is constant for the most part
its not moving!! unless your in missouri

Car environment is also held in different standards too of quality. Do I use eqs? yes, I do the digital kind with balanced inputs and line driver kinds. Analog ones with knobs and levers have a tendency to add noise.

Most upper end radios have an eq of some sort.

Back to the main topic, this guy needs to tell us his budget. ????

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
important note from earlier, your sound system is only as good as its weakest link. Amped mentioned your radio, make sure it has 3 preouts, if only 2 sets, this will work, if less you will need a AudioControl LC6i. this fix any shortcomings of your radio
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6359_AudioControl-LC6i-Gray-LC6.html
this is also a line driver which gives alot

·
Registered
159 Posts
ya, i havent installed a standalone EQ in a LOOONG time, lol. not to belittle you, it is a good idea, but the sound processing in todays radios is by far better than previous, making the standalone EQ's kinda obsolete. a separate digital eq or line driver is a help to the overall sound, but unless you're going to a SQ competition its kind of pointless, it doesnt seem like the OP is doing so (if he was he prolly wouldnt be needing to ask these questions) please understand im not trying to poke fun, im just saying. save up a little cash, you dont wanna pay twice for something you could have gotten once, do your research and spend your money wisely. get good sound processing equipment(amps) and a decent head unit with a graphic EQ and 3 preouts. then it comes to your speakers. those you have to really go and hear them in person to see what you like best. go to car audio shops that arent like best buy, meaning all they do is car audio. they will have brands that are better than the entry level stuff you find at best buy, since like evilcalvin said, they are all on contract and get the lowest end stuff they can. for a radio you have to balance the userability with the features. for ex, clarion units to me tend to have some better sound, but they are a pain to work. the only pioneer stuff i like to deal with is either the premier series stuff, i have a top end premier single din in my car and i love it. that or the avic series multimedia units (those are like $680+ tho) they are easier to use and have subwoofer tuning options, along with all kinds of eq and sound settings. the things you REALLY should focus your budget on to me at least is your speakers and amps. a lot of radios just kinda blend in with each other, so make sure you get the most bang for your buck, meaning you find one you like that has the most options and tuning. try to stay away from products like DUAL or soundstream,(those are just the two that come to mind) stuff that has EVERY option. think about it, something that has bluetooth, USB, HD radio, every single thing you can pack on a radio, the company had to cut costs somewhere, and guess where that is, sound processing. my radio retails at like $429 or so, i forget exactly, and i dont even have bluetooth, just USB. but it sounds amazing. like the others have said, be wary of what the sales people tell you, and look up your own info. see what you wanna get and post it up here.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
I have the 6xs for bi amping front channels and for line driving all. I have neve been a fan of adding more components to a sound system but this was necessary as my a/d/s 6 channel is a state of the art amp but does not have crossover control. I wanted 6 channels as i always do 3 way components in my rides. the fill in the gaps of sound that 2 ways cannot. unless you have experienced Martin Logan speakers, its hard to explain. I.D. makes 2 ways that do this but horns are hard to put in an xB

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the 6xs for bi amping front channels and for line driving all. I have neve been a fan of adding more components to a sound system but this was necessary as my a/d/s 6 channel is a state of the art amp but does not have crossover control. I wanted 6 channels as i always do 3 way components in my rides. the fill in the gaps of sound that 2 ways cannot. unless you have experienced Martin Logan speakers, its hard to explain. I.D. makes 2 ways that do this but horns are hard to put in an xB

The only issue I see against bi-amping unless its active bi-amping then I dont see a significant difference there. adding external Xovers and then maybe. The biggest thing I HATE about audio is that there is ALWAYS something you can do. I have gone as far and re-winding voice coils and piggybacking capacitors to speakers.. it can go on forever.. the bottom line is acoustics.. start there and find speakers that arent fatiguing. most people just want ghetto street bass and well thats all find and dandy, other times thing can go WAY to far... other than that. I am looking for 1 inch tweeters that I can install into the factory locations that arent going to make me roll off 10-12khz without cringing.. any suggestions?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Recently I had a hearing test, and the audiologyist showed me the results. She said that at my age my top range is typical, roll off @ 10k. When I was about 20,I could hear ~18k. I can hardly remember what 12k sounds like. Good luck with those tweeters.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Recently I had a hearing test, and the audiologyist showed me the results. She said that at my age my top range is typical, roll off @ 10k. When I was about 20,I could hear ~18k. I can hardly remember what 12k sounds like. Good luck with those tweeters.
I knew the day would come where I would regret sticking my head into bass bins while loaded on LSD at Rave parties in the 90's :eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.