Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what kind of MPG I can expect from the 2008 xb before I purchase one. It is important to state where you live (city/state) and if the mileage is city/highway/combination, do you follow the speed limits or hot rod this vehicle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
btw, I finally filled up last night, so I won't have my own #s until I fill up next time, but the Avg. MPG display was just under 20 :(
I've done mostly city driving (only on the freeway twice) and most of my trips in the xB are quick trips to the store, so that's why it's far from impressive. Oh well, at least it doesn't need premium gas like the Eclipse :p

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is important to tell where you live (city and state, city/highway driving) so people can make their own judgement on the MPG number. A person driving on a flat highway should get much more MPG than someone driving on hilly roads or stuck in city traffic. NYC traffic moves slower than the city traffic in Mentor, Oh where I am from.

One more thing if I may..... When calculating MPG it is best to do it by hand and not use the MPG indicator in the cars display since those number might not be correct. I drive a minivan right now and the MPG indicator is always off by 10%.

Thanks for all of you that post their results!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
The dealer still owes me a tank of gas :sneaky: I'll let you know as soon as it's back together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been averaging around 24mpg, all city driving, fairly hilly. I took my first freeway trip this last weekend (around 250 miles round trip) and ended up getting 28.7mpg :D
Kiiski

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have filled up twice since I have got the car (two weeks ago) and my results:

Tank #1 : 25mpg (40% freeway, 60% city)

Tank #2: 27mpg (60% freeway, 40% city)

- Note: The freeway was quite a hilly turnpike with long stretches both up hill and down.

Those averages are accurate, done with the basic gas input/mileage calculation. The cars computer seems to over-estimate the mpg by about 2mpg :p

Driving was done in Cleveland, where it has been around 70-80*.

·
Registered
83 Posts
WOW ! I am in maine driving an 08 xB 5 speed & my last three fill ups I got 31 MPG. I drive 150 per week highway, back and forth to tech school and probably 100 mixed miles just tooling around. I run my AC if it gets hot out, I always do the speed limit, 65 highway and 25 to 55 on rural roads. Are you guys driving automatics? When I had my 04 xB I got 34 and 35 mpg all the time. It was a standard also. If you are driving
California cars maybe they have emission control parts in it messing up your mileage. I always do the math on my cell phone calculator right down to the decimals. Not kidding guys I really had 31 MPG last 3 fill ups. I stopped checking it cause the gas mileage computer says I am averaging 31 - 32 mpg seems right to me.
<<<<<Update>>>> Over the Thanksgiving Holiday I fueled up w/ premium 93 octane gas because I had a lot of driving to do, I checked my mileage again & it was 29.5 ; I added a full tank of premium and I will run it down low to check it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unfortunatley, here running the A/C 9 months out of the year is a reality :eek: although the milage has improved to 29.5, this may be due to a new work schedule and haveing less stop-and-go traffic on the freeway

·
Registered
5 Posts
My computer always reads higher than what i actually get by about 2mpg.

But last 4 fills:

I do 95% highway mileage. 100 miles per day. So far I'm happy, with the exception of that 25. I just haven't tried yet to squeeze at least 300 miles out of the tank like I do w/ all my other cars. I know based on those numbers I can get at least 350 miles to at most 420.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I just filled up again & I'm not too happy... 16.86 mpg! :(
I live in Sacramento, CA, it's been in the 90s for most of the time & I do mostly city driving. My commute is 3.5mi to work & I have to go through several stop signs before I even leave our neighborhood. I have a lead foot, but I've been taking it easy because there are only 400+ miles on it so far. Oh, and it's an automatic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm not much better either: my first tank was a little bit under 21mpg

LA traffic and parking sucks, I probably spent most of my time just looking for parking...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, took my first trip from Cleveland, Oh. to Auburn Indiana. It was all 65/70 mph. speed limits. I didn't need the air conditioning going to Auburn and I got 31.9 mpg, coming back I had the air on and got 29.8 mpg. I only had 185 miles on the odometer and now I have 760 miles on it.

Wonderful car to drive, just set the cruise and relax.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts