Scion XB Forum banner
21 - 40 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just got back from a 212.5 mile trip, 90% highway at 65 MPH cruise set. Required 6.363 gallons for refill, so I averaged 33.39 MPG. Certainly not a scientific study, but I'm impressed none the less, especially with only 700 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
3900 on odo, live in Stuart, Fl. Most of my driving is on US1, 30 miles each way to work, auto trans. 28.8, don't speed, don't jack rabbit start, drive with a/c all the time. Took trip to Tampa, across state, 30.2 mpg, did manual calc. comp to on board computer, it is almost spot on. Hope this helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
28.x is what the car said my average has been so far. Would be alot better except one tank was all city and dropped down to 24 mpg the other 8 tanks have been between 29-31 mpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have not gotten mine yet. I bought it last night and am waiting for all of the goodies to be put on it. I traded in a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid so I am in for a shock. The good thing is that I am known in the hybrid community as a "hyper miler" meaning my car (by 2006 EPA standards) was rated at 51 MPG and my lifetime average over 27000 miles was 57.8 MPG with a high of 62.5 MPG. This commute is from Tacoma, WA to Seattle, WA (40 miles) in minimal traffic with the cruise set to 60. That being said, I will see just how far I can get this thing to go. I am already pushing for 35 MPG+ tanks and will let you all know what my success or failure rate is. I have the lowered suspension and 19" wheels so it will be harder to accomplish. Wish me luck.

Has anyone else posted 35+MPG tanks?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have about 2,700 miles on my xB2. Some weeks I drive from SLO--->Santa Barbara  (92 miles one way.) I have gotten 30.6mpg after a two day commute at 66 mph with a little stop and go. I try not to do any heavy footed driving while accelerating. When the gas light comes on, I have only used about 11 gallons or less. This thing has a 14 gallon tank, and my gauge goes way below the empty line. I have yet to run out. ( nor do i want to find the limit of the tank.)  ;)

I get about 25-26 mpg around town.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife has the automatic,and uses the shift feature,sometimes. A little over 700 miles on the XB. First tank 23.7,second tank 24.6. No highway figures yet. She has a trip with sisters to the shore in a few weeks. Not sure it will yield a high figure,since she will be traveling with 3 other "beefy" sisters,and all their luggage. Most of her daily driving is stop & go residental, 35-45 mph speeds and little highway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have about 1,100 miles on my xB and my average MPG is a little over 24. :dontgetit: I live in OC, California and mostly do street driving. I think my average speed is 24. :p

Hey, still better than the MPG listed on the sticker for street driving! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, I took delivery of it Tuesday night and the next morning drove it from Tacoma, WA to Vancouver, BC. Round trip was 390 miles. With 3 adults in the car driving at speeds ranging from 60 to 75. I also had to sit in Vancouver rush hour traffic on the way home as well as a large construction project spanning 5 miles of gridlock. After all of this, I averaged 29.7. I still had just under 1/4 of a tank when I got home last night. It had 24 miles on it when I took delivery so the engine is obviously not broken in yet. I filled up this morning and at the end of my 40 mile commute, I had 37.6 MPG average. Now that I know it is capapble of 37+ MPG with me not trying all that hard, I am going to see if I can squeeze out a 40 MPG round trip commute and then see what I can get out of an entire tank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought one in June - have 9000 miles on it - drive it hard most of the time, except when I'm watching the instantaneous mileage readout. Averaging 25 miles per gallon in mixed metro driving (Dallas Fort Worth) Have gotten 30+ miles per gallon driving the speed limit on road trips, but usually live with 26-28 mpg driving 75-90 mph. I have installed a K&N air filter, which improves mileage if I drive carefully, and decreases mileage when I drive more enthusiastically.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Alright... I know I need to do some highway driving to really know if something is up, but I just gassed up last night, so I thought I'd share. After completely babying this last tank, watching the mpg reading almost constantly and seeing a lot of 40-60mpg cruising & 90mpg coasting, I came away w/ 19.43mpg. :(

Driving that way was painful to say the least. I spent every trip getting passed by everybody and their little old granny and feeling like I'm barely moving. It seemed like when the reading was anything over 32mpg I was actually slowing down unless I was going down hill, in which case I'd just coast.

I'm now past 1000mi & I'm just going to use up this tank like I want to drive, unlike how I spent the last few. It's hard to get any joy out of a car when you feel like you have to turn it off and push it to get decent mpgs :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I dunno Eric, seems like you may actually have an abnormal reading/problem. Did you take the number from the computer reading for actually calculated from distance/volume at fill up?

I'm at 1.6k mile and now getting about 24-25 MPG, mostly city driving. It seems that when I look for street parking, I waste the most gas going 10 mph street-from-street. Purely city driving I can still net a healthy 23.5 mpg.

·
Registered
67 Posts
1st fill up was 25.7 MPG I still had a half tank left which is crazy for me since I'm use to filling up 1 or 2 times a week.

85% Hwy (multiple clover leaf connections) 15% City
South Dakota which you would think is flat but it is very hilly.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I just filled up today, 2300 miles on the od and I got 28.7 mpg. My lowest was 25.7 mpg, highest 31.9 (freeway) . A lot of my trips are 6-8 miles total, city mostly with 7-8 stop signals along the way. My average speed (per the computer) is 25 mph. I believe that the sweet spot for my Scion is around 48 mph, any higher and the mileage goes down.

I drive easy from light to light since the lights are timed so that you hit all of them red.

21 - 40 of 201 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.