Scion XB Forum banner
41 - 60 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Eric said:
I finally broke the 20mpg barrier... got 21.61mpg on my last tank, not driving "efficiently" ...we did change day care providers & my commute got quite a bit longer, so that may have had something to do w/ it.
i think i am getting 20mpg around town as my mileage calculator says i am getting 21.9mpg and they are usually ~2 miles higher than actual mileage... [my Solara was ~1.9mpg high compared to actual mpg]

i am heading up to Cambria for Thanksgiving w/ my folks so i will be able to get some highway mileage on it and check the mpg on the highway too! :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
11 k here and close to 30 depending on how I drive it. if I drive it like I stole it around 25 or 26

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't know if anyone has asked this but, what type of gas are you putting into your xB and if you have used different types (10% ethanol, reg. unleaded or premium) and what mpg do you get with the different types? I am currently running 10% ethanol since SD is one of the biggest producers. It is also .10- .20 cheaper per gallon however, your gas mileage usually goes down 10% (at least it did on my SUV). With that said it was cheaper in the long run for me to use regular unleaded in my other vehicles. I am going to fill the xB with ethanol for Thanksgiving and see how it does on my 140 mile trip. Once I'm out I am going to run regular unleaded 87 octane for the next month to see if there is much of a difference.

I also have leads on people converting their vehicles new and older (not Scions) to e85 or 85% percent ethanol with no side effect other than increased hp and decreased mpg 10% but at 60 cents cheaper per gallon than regular unleaded I could live with the mpg loss. From some of the guys in my office that have done it all he had to do was by a code reader/writer and the software. The nice thing was if he had to take it into the dealership he could put the old code back on, drain his tank and refuel with approved fuel for warranty. :naughty:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got the xB for my wife, its replacing a Ford Windstar 11mpg!, so anything is better! I just made a round trip to Notre Dame (South Bend, IN) from Rochester, NY....1100 total miles. We filled up four times, and did 75-80 the entire way. I got a respectable 25MPG. This is a standard transmission on the highway, and the engine was not broken in yet. I noticed that at 75-80 the RPM's were about 3300, at 65 they were about 2500-2600. So figure "normal" driving I would get another 10% on the highway. It also seemed that the 14 gallon tank was actually 11ish. Each time we filled up we were close to having, or had the fuel light on, and it never took more than 11.2 gallons...just an observation.

Regardless, it's a nice "big" little vehicle, she loves it, and I got rid of that clunker gas guzzling minivan, so I am happy too. Would have liked to see 33MPG's like my Matrix but 25-28 works for me too....beats 11MPG!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
urbansix said:
Is the "AVG" mileage display based on the lifetime of the car, or is there a way to reset it so as to get average MPG per tank or per trip? Is it connected to the E/T elapsed time calculation?
hey urbansix

to reset most of the displays [mpg, elapsed driving time etc.] just hold in the display button while that function is displayed...

then you will start w/ a fresh calculation :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
yanges said:
i believe the low fuel light comes on with approximately 3 gallons left to give you warning to fuel up soon!! ;)
that cant be right, i've put in over 12.5 gallon with no light on. When they gave me an xD to drive before we took delivery they light came on with 22miles left on the range meter

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
i believe the range is an estimate to give you an idea of how far you can go - but if it was a reflection of using the full tank of gas, people would be trying to use all of the miles indicated and would be running out of fuel...

when i left for my trip this weekend to Cambria, my range was 254 - when i checked when filling up i had gone 274 miles and 1 mile was left on range [due to lots of highway driving]

i had traveled a total of 320 miles on the tank with ~45 miles of city driving and 275 miles highway driving. it took 12.78 gallons to fill [a little too close :D ] which gave me 25.03 mpg average. my driving speed was 75-80 mph most of the way :)

on way back with all freeway driving i got 25.42 mpg

this was my first extended highway trip and my xB really rode nicely and felt very stable, even at higher speeds and my xB is an automatic...

i saw 3 xB's on my trip, one "08 Super White w/ black painted scion hubcaps, a nice Camoflauge xB and another original Silver xB...

note: the mileage calulator indicated i was getting 27.1 mpg- which makes the mileage calculator in my xB 1.68 mpg less than actual which is similar to the calculations on my old Solara.

so from now on i will take 1.7 mpg off calculator to get my actual mpg...

·
Registered
35 Posts
The other day I drove the Range indicator down to 1 mile. It then filled up with 11.75 gallons. so the "Range" has a 2-gal buffer?

btw I got 275 miles in 11.75 gallons = 23.4 , about half city half highway driving. My previous car had a 325 mile range so it keeps sneaking up on me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
scion said:
I would like to know what kind of MPG I can expect from the 2008 xb before I purchase one. It is important to state where you live (city/state) and if the mileage is city/highway/combination, do you follow the speed limits or hot rod this vehicle.

Thanks!
I've had my automatic 08 xb for three months and 11,000 miles. I pretty much run at the posted speed limits and use cruise ctl whenever possible. Typically I average a combined 28-29 mpg. All town driving - 26. All Interstate (65-70) 31-32. Wind and grade affect this box a bit more than a typical sedan. When filling I manage to pump an additional 2 gallons of gas into the car after the first pump handle "click-off". I use 87 octane and change the oil every 5k.
I have a question. Is the nav system the same or just similiar to the lexus system?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
i just took a trip up north over Christmas - here are my averages for the trip w/ heavy wind both directions for a lot of the trip...

i got 24.9 mpg on the way up [200+ miles] and 26.2 mpg on the way back - i drive about 75-80 mph most of the time... my xb has ~3000k miles on it...

41 - 60 of 201 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.