Scion XB Forum banner

on-road greetings from other XBs?

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  gr8scape 
#1 · (Edited)
Do you give/get greetings from other drivers?

Hi everyone, just curious: I've had my xB for almost 5 months now. Durnng my first months of ownership I've made some obvious external mods (rear spoiler, alloy wheels, exhaust tip, front lip). Here in the SF bay area I see an average 1 or 2 other xBs a day.

Three times I've driven up next to another xB to try and acknowledge them. Here's what happened:
- Stingray xB, box stock with paper plates, driven by an older woman: ignored
- Teal xB with alloy wheels driven by a man in 30s or 40s: brief look but nothing more
- Black xB with rear spoiler, alloy wheels, exhaust, on air: he chased me onto the off ramp. While I was waiting at the light to turn left, he passed me on the right, slowed, did a quick Lower/Raise, then Varoomed off and turned right.

So my questions:
- What kind of reaction or greeting (if any) do you get from other drivers, especially other xB drivers?
- Do you feel their reaction or greeting is based on how stock/modded their own ride is in relation to your own, or that it doesn't matter?
- Any others have thoughts on this?

See less See more
#2 ·
I was wondering the same thing. Most of the people here that own them just ignore me. There is one black xB that is modded but he doesn't wave or anything. I think he's jealous or something cuz I am on air.

#5 ·
Most of the people that I see driving in my area are old people or over weight women. I have thought about this before though because its like a Scion family! I would wave.

#6 ·
theres a few around town most of them are older that own them but we have a few younger ones. I dont get any reaction from them. While on a road trip north i was greeted by a thumbs up by two younger guys in a beat up honda civic. I sually just nod in return or finger lift.

#7 ·
Well, I'm an older, over-weight woman and I get all kinds of greetings and I return them as well as give them. Recent road trip had people stopping by the car at many of our stops asking about it.

I'm in Scikotics, so I get greetings from other Scions from that club and others in the area because we are active at meets and events. I was beside a Classic Silver today who didn't see me because he was looking the other way for an address. I did notice how low my car is compared to stock springs.

Also, I think it has less to do with mods as personality. Occasionally, I get strange looks from "older" people. I think it's jealousy...wishing they were cool enough to drive a B.

#8 · (Edited)
I've a 2008 since Jan' 08 and I've yet to be acknowledged by any other Scion driver, though I've been seemingly challenged by Hondas and VWs. I've acknowledged both xB1's and Cube's, but I'm not clear either have acknowledged me. My impression is if you really care about other drivers responses, then chances are you won't be satisfied. My suggestion is love your car and don't expect others to do the same :)!

#11 ·
there is an older guy around where I live that drives an 08 stingray xb that gives me a thumbs up and waves, some xb owners watch me as they turn in front of me but most don't even look, one older couple that drive a 2012 stingray xb just look disgusted that a car would be a gold box.

#12 ·
Compared to all of the unique vehicles I've owned I must say the reaction to my xB has been luke warm at best. I especially feel some sort of bastardization from xB 1 owners. I'm not sure if they view us xB 2 people as lemmings or what but most definitely no love. Although a ladies in an O.G. box did acknowledge me in my in-law's neighborhood on Sunday. I say F'em. I love this ugly S.O.B. and if I wanted something more socially acceptable, I'd buy another Infiniti. Boxed for life.

#13 ·
I only get ways from other people with RS8's or people who have heavily mod'd their B's. Occasionally the approval nod or thumb's up from another tuned car. But ya, the 1st gen crowd are far more welcoming or appreciative (in my experience) than the second gen crowd of my xB. Most second gen drivers write it off as just another xB.

Toyota dealers love it.

#14 ·
If someone waves I wave back but I guess I'm getting old 'coz I usually just lay low driving around. :p

#15 ·
I have a new theory about this:

• the xB2 has been out since 2008 and is now pretty numerous, and some of the xB drivers with unmodified boxes don't realize they are in fact driving something special (even when stock). So they don't notice (and some don't care) when they see a modifed box. The exception for them is an xB that really stands out (unusual color, lowered, body kit, or similar). Then maybe, just maybe, they will acknowledge because (perhaps for the first time) they realize that their own car has similar beginnings.
  • the xB drivers who have moded their car are proud of (and actually know) their car, and so they recognize when another xB owner has modified something. Hence they are more likely to look at another xB and give acknowlegement, especially if they like the other person's mods.
  • Many non-xB drivers tend to dismiss xBs as "just another ugly boxy car" and pay no attention. A minority of non-xB drivers are somewhat intrigued but give only a passing look. Some will give acknowledgement but most won't.
Ah well. I like my car. 6 months later it still makes me smile.

#16 ·
I thought I would share my very first experience.

I drive 2012 xB. Couple of days ago, I was in Buffalo area when a xD passed by me. He looked at my xB too. I honked as I was excited to see another Scion (I dont care which model, I love all Scions :)), and guess what I got in return? a Middle Finger...lol... I could not stop laughing :biggrin::p

#17 ·
Really?? I could give a rats *** if another xB owner waved at me or not. I enjoy my car and I assume they enjoy theirs. Enough said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.