Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havedone a lot of research and found that these products are good for the price and people seem to like them. The only thing is I have not seen anyone with a full set up. Does anyone have all of these on their car or does anyone have any opinions about doing this. I am looking to purchase both of these packages . http://www.semotors.com/tsudo-scion-xb-08-12-race-4-2-1-headers-hi-flow-catylatic-s-pipe/ http://www.semotors.com/tsudo-scion-xb-2011-13-n1-cat-back-w-scuba-tank-titanium-tip-exhaust/ thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
I wouldn't. The potential gains are very small and you're going to make your car uncomfortably loud. The sad reality of the xB is that nothing short of forced induction or extremely expensive internal engine modifications is going to make enough of a difference to be worth the expense.

I would highly recommend focusing on the suspension first - the car really comes to life with some cheap improvements. If you still want more power, it's time to look at forced induction.

·
Registered
845 Posts
It's really all or nothing; look into a turbo kit if you want a significant amount of power, otherwise I wouldn't waste a bunch of money on bolt-on modifications.

+1. If you really want to something, I'd do the header and an axle back for the deeper tone. If you believe the marketing hype, you could also get the weapon R intake manifold, but for all this you would be at about a grand. You could keep the intake manifold if you go turbo one day, but the header would be a resell. But if you do go turbo the intake would probably not add much to the performance that the turbo hasn't already.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What is your goal for your xB? For what it is, I think the xB has decent power. The xB will never be a sports car, yet it's still fun. After a year of driving it I honestly haven't missed my previous much more quicker/powerful car. If you want more speed, room & power I guess you'd have to go the mazdaspeed or wrx route. I'm not sure but for everyday more power in the xB I would assume a chip may work. A turbo seems like it would be too much work especially that you have an automatic. Also fully shutting off the TCS definitely gives the feeling of more power, but be careful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have that set up in my xB and it cost me about 800$, turbo cost about 5000$. Its depend on your goal and MONEY. I have a unichip coming. For the set up its very loud. You'll feel the difference for sure.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Time for an unpopular opinion:

1. These common modifications are a waste of money when it comes to performance:
    • All exhaust modifications (header, scuba, muffler, piping). These are going to change the sound of your vehicle, but not significantly improve performance. Many of them are actually going to hurt both performance and fuel economy.
    • Intakes of all kinds. The stock intake isn't very restrictive, and if you just want it to sound louder, you can remove the front pipe and resonator box. If you want slightly higher airflow at the cost of filtration, remove the charcoal filter and switch to a wet filter like K&N.
    • Standalone and piggyback management systems; unless you're going with a high horespower turbo setup, there's just no need at all.
    • Semi-management systems (aka unichip); expensive for extremely small gains, and there is virtually no support for tuning after purchase. There are plenty of discussions out there covering this in depth.
    • Aftermarket crank pulley. Your OEM pully is heavy for a reason; yes you might feel a touch quicker spooling, but it's not good for your engine at all.
    • Carbon fiber body panels (mainly hood and rear hatch). They don't dramatically decrease weight, and the cost is crazy.
    • Drilled and/or slotted rotors (front or back)

2. Performance modifications that are not a waste of money:
    • Rear sway bar. Relatively affordable (under $250) and has a dramatic effect on handling.
    • Lowering springs. Cheap for this vehicle (several quality sets under $200), helps handling a lot.

3. Finally, items that are in the middle (only worth it if the price is right)
    • Turbo. There are plenty of kits available, but spending $4k+ on a car that generally books in the 8-14k range is probably a poor investment. Following ScionFred's experiences, I think it's possible to do a decent turbo setup for under 2k (I started documenting my research here), but it will require doing a lot of homework and wrench work.
    • Front disc brake upgrade (TC2); Noticeable difference, but I wouldn't pay over $100 for the complete swap (mine was about $30 in the end)
    • Chassis bracing such as a strut bar, underbraces, etc.

That being said, there are a lot of worthwhile modifications out there for comfort, appearance, etc., but I'm only talking about performance right now.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The lighter crank pulley does nothing to even notice. You have power steering, alternator and air conditioning compressor attached via belts. The load on the crank from the pulley is nothing compared to these.

There are some great videos on YouTube by Mighty Car Mods, where they test out a bunch of common ways to make power and the results are more often than not just a way to get your $$$.

·
Registered
206 Posts
"Intakes of all kinds. The stock intake isn't very restrictive, and if you just want it to sound louder, you can remove the front pipe and resonator box. If you want slightly higher airflow at the cost of filtration, remove the charcoal filter and switch to a wet filter like K&N."

I actually just installed a K&N too new to see any difference if any in fuel economy, but as crazy as it sounds I can swear it actually gave a slight bump in performance, you mention it doesn't filter as good as stock, I thought it was designed to?

I also have a borla exhaust but as you mentioned I wasn't expecting a performance advantage by installing it, but I love the look and sound of it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
K&N filters are a trade; you get higher airflow but the filtration isn't as good. I run one in my xB, but mainly because I like how re-usable it is (I can just rewash it over and over forever). There are countless discussions online covering this in depth, but that's the summary.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I hear you. I got it because I found it for $40 and thought it was a good deal, as I said the xB seems to pull a little harder unless I'm imagining it so it's worth the money. Installed it at 16k miles, k&n claims a ridiculous amount of mileage between cleanings but I'll definitely check it periodically.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I clean mine every couple oil changes or so, but it can definitely go a good 30k+ between cleanings unless you're in a dirty area. The cleaning kit is pretty cheap and is good for a dozen or so uses, so it couldn't hurt to do it more often.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's why I got the afe dry pro s. You just blow it out with compressed air.
You did recommend the afe, yes dry seems better, but I went k&n mainly on price. Both filters seem good. I'll probably average 15-17k miles a year mostly in brutal NY traffic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well my xb is an automatic, I have a short ram intake, I have read the headers add some noticeable power gains. So what should I look into for power?
Don't listen to someone always talking about turbos and stuff like that- OUR cars aren't sports cars obviously- and intake headers and exhaust are fine - maybe pulleys too- when you have a automatic xB all hope shouldn't be lost- they are very snappy and quick off the line to most cars-- I've had Subaru STi's have to go full hard to pass me- you can do anything to it with the right amount of money 💰 but bolt ons are fine too. To each his own..

·
Registered
1 Posts
MiningMining NEWS

Order your miner today

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.