Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering... any of you have the overhead console installed? Have pix? What is it good for.. as in, what can you put in the compartments?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I will probably get one if I get this new job. I really like the console. I don't like the idea of cutting the headliner, but I have a college buddy that does all the tuner stuff & I will have him help me do the project.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got one and think it's pretty cool. I don't know that I'll use it too much but you can fit a decent amount in there.

the front compartment is large enough for a few cd's in orig cases and the rear is large enough for a few CD's in the upper half and something a little smaller in the lower half. The rear compartment also has a place for a photograph that you see when it's closed.

It makes the interior seem a little bit smaller but the fit is excellent. If I use it or not, I'm still glad I have the the option.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Yeah I saw one at the dealer today. Its kinda neat but not something I would probably go get. Plus I won't be able to with the sunroof anyways.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did get the job, just need to pass physical $ drug test now. I will get the overhead console soon. the company offered me a $3000.00 relocation allowance "in the first paycheck" so that will pay my property taxes & still leave a little for a minor mod ha ha. HATEnFATE where did you get your console? did you buy it on the web or at the dealership? If it was a dealer install what was the install fee?

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HATEnFATE said:
I work at a Toyota Dealership in the parts department so I bought it from myself and then installed it myself :)
Can you post a pic and some info on how the install was done?

·
Registered
204 Posts
It looked better in the picture, i think its a total waste of space. Im gonna uninstall mine soon and probably sell it here lol. Probably opt for a 32" fold down monitor.. instead

·
Registered
739 Posts
It is really easy to do. Just make sure you have the template aligned correctly and you should not have a problem. Hardest part is getting over cutting the headliner. Just take your time with the cutting.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
I thought we had a thread on this previously, with much discussion and many picts . . .
But, I can't put my fingers on it . . .

Here are picts of mine:

As I have 2 young kids, I find it VERY useful to hold the various loose stuff you need as a parent (wipes, tissues, napkins, hand cleaning supplies (sanitizer), and the like).

2 of the three slots are sized for CDs and the third is sized for a sunglass case.
I hold much more variety.
I can fit pens and 2 pairs of sunglasses in soft cases in the small one.
For the 2 larger ones . . . One has cards, paper pads, and a hat. The other hold napkins, tissues, sanitizer, and post-it-note pads.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Oh, and a long shot, from the rear:

Look carefully and you get a REAL sense of how low it is. I don't really notice it AT ALL when driving.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had read somewhere, don't remember what forum, when I was researching it to see if I wanted to buy it that there is a problem with the contents getting extremely hot in the summer. I don't know if that is true or not. I had read that it got hot enough to melt things.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
That MAY be true on the ones with darker tops.
On a silver or a white, it isn't a problem.
My silver is fine in the Southern US summers.

As for ANYTHING that melts under 120 degrees (F) . . .
Not in my car, not in summer, not here..
-NO crayons, NO chocolate.

I could see WHY it could be . . .
The console mounts INSIDE the foam/roof lining (you cut a big rectangle in it for the console). It crosses between the insulation
I don't see HOW it could be reversible without a full roof liner foam replacement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That thing is much long than I expected (you can snicker here).

I was thinking of installing a rear monitor, but it seems the combo is out of the question.

btw TJ, nice pics. Very clean, especially for a kid hauler.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Thanks. Here to help.
I am a bit fanatical of "kids don't mess up daddy's car" . . .

-- Though, there are small scratches all over the interior and I also actually USE my box as a truck. I have a "floor board" insert to move furniture and a set of hand trucks bought specifically to fit.
Anyone coming to Sanitarium in Atlanta this weekend can see them-> I'll be the guy in the kilt on Sat and Sunday (if I make it). I'll be there on Friday, but probably just in a plaid shirt (as I'll be coming from work).

On monitors:
Scion puts them in the headrests of the front seats, if that is relevant).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I installed one these a month ago, it took about an hour to do. I went slow and followed the TRD instructions closely. You really only need a screwdriver, Sharpie, masking tape, and sharp knife (I used a Swiss army knife). The template lines up very easy with the map light, which keeps the whole thing straight and centered. The map light has clips on it that are on the front and back of the light so when you pry it off don’t pry from the sides, pry form the back or front (just makes easier to pop off). I used a plastic pry tool (which would be a tool I didn’t mention, I also used a hammer (another tool I didn’t mention) to ever so gently tap in back plastic anchors) a standard screwdriver would also do fine for popping off the map light, if you can’t find your plastic panel removal tool.
Very easy install.

I noticed there seems to be two different styles of these, one with two pockets and one with one pocket. I went with the one with two pockets. I’m very happy with it, I keep two pairs of sunglasses in their cases in the front bin and napkins and Kleenex in the back bin. I had heard someone state on some post that cd’s rattled around on bumps, I haven’t put any cd’s up there even though the bins seem to just the right size for them.

I would like to thank TartanJack and others who had previous post on this install. I had called a Toyota dealer about installing XM radio and had the overhead on the way from Franks (179.00 ebay). I asked salesman about installing the overhead bin and he said he didn’t know what to charge and had never sold one before. At that point I figured I was much better off on my own.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been debating on whether to attempt installing the overhead myself. From what I read here it sounds pretty easy. I think I'll go for it. If/when I do, I'll try to capture step by step pics.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Rollaball mentioned cd's rattling around. I'm a total rattle-phobe; can anyone say if stuff stored in the OC rattles around up there? The way it looks in the pics is that it angles down towards the front, making me think that whatever you store in those pockets will slide forward and rattle around in the compartment(s).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts