Scion XB Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
i like mine... i thought the overhead looked like it was missing something without it...i store cd's and sunglasses in it!

·
Registered
566 Posts
areid13 said:
I've been debating on whether to attempt installing the overhead myself. From what I read here it sounds pretty easy. I think I'll go for it. If/when I do, I'll try to capture step by step pics.
http://www.itsmyscion.com/Geezer/photo/4755/1

I don't notice any rattling, but the only thing I keep up there that might rattle is a pair of sunglasses. Everything else is "soft"...deck of cards, gas receipts, NSXB tags, pack of Kleenex, etc.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Ryeguy said:
Rollaball mentioned cd's rattling around. I'm a total rattle-phobe; can anyone say if stuff stored in the OC rattles around up there? The way it looks in the pics is that it angles down towards the front, making me think that whatever you store in those pockets will slide forward and rattle around in the compartment(s).
It is actually approximately flat.
It will angle forwards when nose is downhill and backwards when facing uphill.

I don't have much problem. Of course, I pretty much "lock-in" everything.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I like mine, but living in Phx, it gets really hot in the compartment during the summer, too hot. Same problem with the C-pillar storage things. I also don't like how the compartment for your glasses has nothing inside to prevent scratching. It is just hard plastic.

I'd gladly have a sunroof instead, but a quality sunroof, or at least the one I want, is $1k+

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Note: the above post is a BLACK one.  So, there is a black roof.
Mine is silver (silver roof)
As we (all?) know, black gets hotter than lighter colors due to ray/heat absorption. Silver, white, and light colors reflect the rays/heat, so it is cooler.
It seems that the color of the roof makes a notable difference in whether or not the console get "unacceptably" hot.

That makes since, as delivery trucks have been painting roofs white or silver for many, many years to lower internal temps.
The old Railway Express Agency trucks were solid green (with silver coming in when using the REA Express branding) and red/scarlet trim.  They found silver roofs were MUCH cooler on their trucks than the hunter (dark) green, so they made all their roofs silver.
UPS does the same with white roofs on dark brown trucks.
In both cases, the trucks have no air, but GREAT heaters.

See . . . history can inform the present . . .

·
Registered
167 Posts
TartanJack said:
Note: the above post is a BLACK one. So, there is a black roof.
Mine is silver (silver roof)
As we (all?) know, black gets hotter than lighter colors due to ray/heat absorption.
In Phoenix, AZ. and the surrounding desert area, it doesn't matter what color your car is, when it is 115 degrees outside, it is NOT going to make a difference. I've had White/Red/Black cars and they all smolder at the same temperature when sitting in the AZ. sun. Darker colors just get hotter, sooner. They WILL ALL be the same temperature if left out in the sun for more than an hour or so.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I posted on a different thread...But yes, it gets HOT.

I think it's because it goes through the headliner, into the cavitiy between it and the roof. I have a Blackberry Crush Metallic, but i'm pretty sure any color would still get hot.

CDs fit perfectly...don't slide or rattle. Sunglasses, however rattle w/ my subwoofer. I just take them out and put them back on a different side until the rattle stops.

Its great and big...i was worried it wouldn't be a lot of space for the $....not the case.

ok, so:

-Lots of Space
-Gets really hot

i recomend it.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Idea:

If you live in an area where it gets very hot, the console can be a "built in heater" for storage of food, like a hamburger . . .

·
Registered
566 Posts
TartanJack said:
Idea:

If you live in an area where it gets very hot, the console can be a "built in heater" for storage of food, like a hamburger . . .
How do you get the grill marks on the burger?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Laser vision . . .

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.