Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this wasn't a real quick mod so I decided to post it here. Plus it is a DIY. This is a very easy mod, just very time consuming.

For those that want to see the photos without reading this whole thing, scroll to the bottom.

First you need to jack up the xB and set it on (4) jack stands. I used (2) jack stands and (2) cinder blocks. Not the best way to do it but I worked with what I had.

Next remove all four wheels. The rear wheels you can get off once lifted with the e-brake in place. The front you will need to loosen before you lift them off the ground

Now this next step is my preference. The instructions say you don't have to take the brakes apart, but I prefer to do this so I can get in the small areas and make sure I don't get paint on places I don't want it on. So I unbolted the two bolts that hold each caliper on and removed the brake pads.

Next its prep time. If your brakes are really dusty and dirty use the brake cleaner that comes with the kit. DO NOT use any other brake cleaner. The enclosed cleaner is designed not to leave any residue that might effect the paint.

After you clean the calipers mask off areas you don't want paint on. Mosly the rubber sections, brake bleeder, and the section of the rotors that will be where you want to paint.

Also I used (2) small s-hooks to hold up the front calipers. I hooked one end in the bolt hole, and one end on the lip of the strut. This is important not only for brake line, but to make sure you don't smear your paint or get it all over you car. For the rear brakes I used (2) bungee cords to hold them back.

The whole process from jack to prep took me about (2)hrs. You wanna get this all done first as the paint has a limited time of use. Once you mix it you have (4-6)hrs to apply before the paint starts to harden.

Next you mix the paint and the hardening agent. Of course this is if you use a two step paint like I did. Not all brands require this. You wait (5)mins after you mix. Then you re-stir and start to apply.

Apply the paint in thin coats. If you get a thick coat, just keep brushing over that area till it thins out. You can always go back over it. The instructions say wait (15)mins before doing a second coat. I didn't even need a second coat, it came out nice.

It took me about (2)hrs to paint all four calipers and caliper brackets. The instructions said you have to wait (2)hrs before re-mounting your wheels, and (24)hrs before driving your car to make sure everything cures up. I finished up at 10pm with the painting so I decided to wait untill morning to put them back together.

Here are some photos of the brakes back together, I will post up photos of them with wheels in a little bit.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh sorry I ment to add that. I used a brand called G2. It cost me $41 something after tax. Its made in the USA. They have 11 different colors. Heat Resistant up to 950 degrees F. Also has a warrenty. I believe lifetime I have to check. If the paint ever chips off you show them proof of purchase, and proof of paint chipping off and they will refund your money. Website is:

www.g2usa.com

·
Registered
162 Posts
looks good!

i was planning on painting my calipers this week.

now i know i need quite at bit of time to complete the whole thing.

thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
beautiful!

this is the second thing i do as soon as i get alloys :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you find this kit to be necessary? I mean, I've painted calipers on a Mustang Cobra, Chevy truck (and drums), Honda Civic and Nissan Z with nothing more than a can of brush-on Rustoleum. Some I did red, others I did black Haven't had any problems yet.

I'm just wondering 'cuz I'm getting ready to paint my calipers this weekend.

Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did the kit because its a two step paint designed to take the hi heat from calipers. I have had one small area come off. I place a decal on the caliper and pulled it off to relocate it and a bit of paint came off. Nothing bad though. probably an area that didn't get as clean as it should. So far everything else is awsome. When they get dirty I just wipe them down and the paint is still super shiney. So I highly recomend this kit. Just make sure you clean very well. I will take photos with the lettering soon.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I used G2 as well. I Painteed mine black. One word of advise, if your in AZ, do it in a well cooled area, in the winter or at a shop. I did mine in my garage and by the time I was in the passenger side, My painted started to get goo-y, so I did a half *** job because I had to rush!!!! Dammit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts