What I just did . . .

Took Part off
7 hours of sanding . . .

Then:

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess the sanding wasn't enough . . .
The paint picked up every, single imperfection and amplified it!

After it dries, I'll take it back off, sand some more, and paint again.

It isn't done, just the base. There are ALL sorts of possibilities.

· Registered
2,209 Posts
Yo jack one thing I should let you know. It might not be the sanding. Silver is a very very hard color to paint. It has to be PERFECT to not show changes in shade. I once spray painted my camaro hood in a color patteren to see if I would like the color scheme. It was red, blue and silver. I used more silver paint then any other color, but it was the smallest section. And it still didn't look right.

Also try primer.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's just rougher than my usual painting.
There are lines from the sanding that the prep didn't show.
It felt totally smooth and seemed that way.

I think that part is using auto paint, rather than "normal" enamel (what I am used to).
Another light sanding should get it all.
Metallics are tricky, as the direction of the spray changes how the metal flakes lay down, which changes how the lights hit it and how it reflects.
Besides, I am planning to add a far amount of blue to it, of the same that WILL (eventually) go on my roof.
I just need to figure out vinyl or paint and a painter that can do a good job without being insanely expensive.
(I'm cheap. But somethings are worth doing right-> cheaper in the long run.)
Besides, my wife thinks it looks great, as do a few others who have seen it.
I'm just a bit of a perfectionist.
What a combo . . . a cheapskate perfectionist . . .

(When Marshalls and TJ Maxx are "expensive" you have moved from "frugal" to "cheapskate" . . . )

More to why I posted it:
So, what do you/ya'll think of the idea.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VERY!

Just pull on it.
I started on the passenger side and worked along the top. Then, the bottom clips.

I pulled it off, then it came off and on as I switched between using the car and sanding on it.

· Registered
613 Posts
well from my screen it looks pretty damn good! have to for sure give you A+ for the effort!

· Registered
339 Posts
Looks great TJ, Now I gotta do mine!

· Registered
47 Posts
Very impressive! It really ties the silver trim together nicely.

It seems like it would be a pain to sand because of all the curves and angles.
Maybe it's better that a perfectionist not touch something like that. lol.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
doku said:
Very impressive! It really ties the silver trim together nicely.

It seems like it would be a pain to sand because of all the curves and angles.
Maybe it's better that a perfectionist not touch something like that. lol.
It worked fine, just A LOT of work.
A bit more and it'll look GREAT!
(Oh, and the silver is NOT the final version.)

These are great little boxes and a BLAST to drive. They are also fun to "mess with" . . .
Also, it is fun to create altered "plug and play" parts. Part of customizing is using the available parts as STARTING points suitable for further alteration and customization.

90% of people would be perfectly happy with it "as is," esp. if they altered it themselves . . .

I still plan to "alter" the other fibered areas, I just need to figure out exactly how . . .

Oh, and the passenger side airbag blows out the TOP of the dash, not the front. So, the front (textured area) can be covered with a cloth/vinyl!

· Registered
528 Posts
I'm not sure if you've redone this yet or not, but use a filler primer before the paint. Hit it with a filler primer, or high build primer, then sand, then hit again, sand, then hit it with paint. Should get rid of all the imperfections.

I'd use a guide coat, too. :D

· Registered
50 Posts
WOW THATS A GOOD IDEA.. I LOVE THE STOCK LOOK.. I LOVE HOW YOU PAINTED IT TO MACH THE STOCK SILVER INTERIOR PARTS. I WOULD RATHER BRING IT TO A PAINT SHOP AND LET THEM SHOOT IT WITH CAR PAINT AND SOME CLEAR.. IT WILL PROBABLY TURN OUT BETTER AND THEY CAN PROBABLY MAKE IT LOOK LIKE THE CAR CAME LIKE THAT.. ITS UP TO YOU BUT THATS A GREAT IDEA I THINK THAT I AM GOING TO DO THAT..KEEP IT LOOKING STOCK BUT ADDS FLAVOR.. LOVE IT!!

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll put it this way . . .
I haven't "fixed" it yet.

I am just LOVING it and using my box.
Eventually, I'll finish it and add the other "trim" painting to it. It'll be done before some of the upcoming shows, esp. Exposed in Sarasota.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally resanded it and it got REAL smooth, REAL fast.
I used the same sandpaper grit as the last sanding before (320) and it looked just as smooth. I got some "wet/dry" sandpaper and even wet sanded.
I'll repaint tomorrow morning.
As so much of the silver is still there, so I am planning to paint the silver, let it dry 45 minutes or so, mask for the blue and hit that too before the "1 hour" spray time is over.

It will be DONE before I head to Atlanta on Thursday and ya'll who are at the Atlanta show will see what I am doing with it!

I hope the paint goes on smoother this time than last. I hope the paint "filled in" whatever gaps where there and the sanding took off the raised bits . . .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.