Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the engine bay was looking a little dull so I thought I'd remove the cover to expose the headers. However, the stock headers aren't exactly pretty. I'm not interested in installing aftermarket headers so I thought I would throw some high temp paint on the header cover. I went with black to keep it simple, red might look a little cheese-ball.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
On mine, yes it is.

Doesn't it look a bit like a heart when in red?

·
Registered
342 Posts
thats really cool. how much was the paint?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Engine paint, whichever is at the local parts store.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ok thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's a thought- has anyone tried painting the header with that high temperature paint? That "clamshell" cover is just plain ugly compared to a header no matter what color it is. I anticipated the factory header to look a lot worse than it does. I guess there's not much to lose in trying it as worse case, you just end up putting the cover back on.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
That is what I was planning to paint, but mine is VERY rusty, already.

Edit: I've been thinking of painting them flat black or charcoal/graphite, anyways,

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
For the header cover (technically a heat shield), just make sure that the engine has been OFF for a while.  Otherwise it will be very, very hot (and could cause a nice burn).

·
Registered
166 Posts
just to ask has anyone looked at there cover after driving for awile? it the hightemp paint fading at all? fyi even if u paint the header with hitemp paint it will burn off. and even if you use the really high temp paint. tried this on my honda crx once.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you only put one coat on it burns off. I painted mine white and it's starting to look dull and brownish

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.