Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to paint the brake calipers on my Box, they sell the kits at O'Reilleys, but they only come in black, red or silver. The 2 questions I have are;

1: Can I use engine paint on the calipers? The engine paint color options are endless, it's made by the same company that makes the brake caliper paint, they both say good to 500 degrees, they both contain ceramic, but the kit has a can that you brush on, although they also sell spray cans of the 3 colors mentioned above. The engine paint all comes in spray cans.

2: The main reason I want to use engine paint instead is because I really feel like yellow calipers would go better with the stock color of my B, which is the Hypnotic Teal Mica, rather than the red or black. The problem is, my 13 year old daughter is telling me it would look too loud, and now she's gotten in my **** head that maybe she's right lol. Red just doesn't seem right for the green color of the car.

Opinions? I'll post a pic of my car with rims to help get an opinion :D

· Registered
335 Posts
Yellow! Yes do it

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the kit I got is made by VHT, as are the engine paints I was looking at. I've watched some Youtube vids on painting calipers, some were brushed on, some sprayed on. The yellow is tempting, but maybe I'll go with black. The VHT engine paints have a green thats an almost identical match to my body color, but part of me feels that might look weird having matching body and calipers lol.

· Premium Member
709 Posts
I painted 2 of my old vehicles calipers with vht, one I did red the other yellow. They do sell yellow vht caliper paint although the engine paint should work fine. Make sure you clean them up good!
You could also do most of it black with a piece or two yellow, depening on how much of the set up your painting. That would look sweet!

· Registered
979 Posts
When I did my calipers I used G2 Caliper Paint, which is a 2-part epoxy that you brush on. I found it easy to apply and because it is very thick, all of the brush marks level out before it cures for a smooth finish. At almost $50, it's a little more expensive than buying spray cans. When I was researching though it seems to last much longer than sprays. If you want to drop $100 they claim they will custom match any paint color - though I like your idea of yellow.

· Premium Member
848 Posts
Ive used the duplicolor kit and G2. G2 is far superior, shinier finish, harder coating resists chipping. with the duplicolor you will have to repaint annually. the G2 kit comes with enough paint to put 2 coats on all calipers and engine heat shield for a nice finish that really pops unders the hood and will not burn like other high heat paints.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.