Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live in oklahoma, the weather is different everyday this time of year, and i have found a problem with my parking brake and i was wondering if anyone has heard / experienced this. if i set my parking brake and overnight it gets cold, it wont release in the morning and will stay on the whole way to work, i actually work at a toyota dealership as a lube tech. the only reason i am miffed is because my 1993 ford tempo, 2000 ford focus and my girlfriends 2006 ford fusion have had no such problems through even worse weather, i set my parking brake all the time, and now when i finally buy a brand new car, i cant. by time the techs at work look at my car, the weather has warmed and its not locked up anymore, one tech noticed that the lever for the brake was loose, and tightened it. the shop manager said he is going to start throwing parts at it, parking brake cables, calipers, etc. but they havent come in yet, just wondering if anyone can relate!!!!!!!!!!!! and please dont be like my service advisors and tell me not to set it : ) its just a habit!

THANKS EVERYONE!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Cold weather, whether it is accompanied by snow or not, locks up my parking brake (specifically the left rear side).
Have taken it to the dealership (On a flatbed) twice. First time, error code indicated a problem with the rear antilock sensor, dealer turned rotor and deglazed pads, rotor showed signs of overheating. Second time, cable was adjusted and lubed. Same problem you have, when i get it to the dealership, it has warmed up(outside temp) and the problem is gone. Problem occurs at 25F and below.
When it is warm, handbrake has tension on it from the moment you lift it. When cold, takes about 2 inches of pull to get any tension.
I am getting ready to take it in for the third time today. As I type this, it is locked up outside. I have been able to get some video of the rear left wheel locking and sliding on snow as the handbrake is fully down.
Overall though, I'm happy with the card, and this is the second xB I have owned (previous was a 2005..)
All the complicated stuff works just fine, funny that its almost the simplest system on the car that is giving us problems...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have not had this problem and my car sits outside every night in -15 degrees Celsius or colder... not sure what temp that is in Fahrenheit...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lubricate it (it meaning rear caliper hardward and cables) with something that displaces water (rust penetrant, teflon lube, etc.) I now live in Arizona and don't have to worry about that, but I grew up in Michigan and the mechanical lever on your rear brake
caliper is actually freezing in that position. I would start there, but hopefully your techs get it squared away.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just an update... it's -40 Celsius at my home now and my ebrake hasn't frozen... in any event, a -40 that's said to "feel like" -51 with the windchill is NOT fun...

·
Registered
1 Posts
:confused: I see that you are having trouble with your brakes too. I wouldbe interested in knowing if you got the problem fixed and what they did to fix your xb. I have had mine it to the dealer three times now. The first time they replaced the caliper and rotor on the left rear. the second time they did the same but on the right side. I am still having trouble with the right side. the third time i had it at the dealer they told me that they could not find anything wrong and it might have been a fluke. I think that they are just tired of me. Can any one help me out here. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
welllllllll, they ordered the 3 parking brake cables a week or so back, and they came in today, i hope/plan to get them on tomorrow, should be able to, i get there at 7, techs get there at 8, and i work til 4, but will stay later (much later! :sneaky:) to get it done tomorrow! also it was like 60 or 70 today and i think we are supposed to get snow tomorrow or wednesday :sick:, so hopefully i can put the new cables to the test! :D :p :naughty:

good luck everybody, keep trying at your dealers, i will most definitely drop any info i have!

there has to be a solution.......damnit

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they get my car in at 4:15 only to find out that 2 of the 3 parking brake cables made it in and it was ordered jan 21st. so they reordered and all 3 should be here in 2 days....... :yawn:

·
Registered
13 Posts
20 degrees F and my Right Rear is locked up. Drove up and down street for about 100 ft thinking I copuld "fix" nope still stuck. Mad as hell- need to get to work. The car was sitting for 4 days while I was away on a business trip. It was not driven and there was some rain and whatnot. Parking brake has alot of travel. Mad, Mad MAD.

:mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
it might break free if you back up a little bit. it did when my old crx would freeze up. but thous were drum breaks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Gota love SW Florida...almost as much as my xB! Frost line is about 20 miles north of my place...but, if I to chance a trip in to the cold country I will consider changing my habit of always setting the parking brake...I'll park it in gear and carry a brick to place behind the wheel...

Sorry about your problems with the parking brake lines...

Brewski

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am just wondering if water gets splashed on the parking lever inside the rear of the wheel and the water freezes the lever in place when using the hand brake. When you release the parking brake the lever behind the rear wheel is frozen and won't release the brake. If that is the case, driving forward or backward might not have any effect on releasing the brake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The parking brake cable has been updated. If you are having this issue of the sticking parking brake in freezing weather ask your dealer to replace them with the updated cables. There is NO TSB on this concern, but they have been changed. You are getting water in the cable sheath, period.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
That's good to know!

The 09s should have the updated cable, but I'll keep that in mind should I have a problem . . .
THANKS!

·
Registered
13 Posts
deedubb said:
The parking brake cable has been updated. If you are having this issue of the sticking parking brake in freezing weather ask your dealer to replace them with the updated cables. There is NO TSB on this concern, but they have been changed. You are getting water in the cable sheath, period.
Do you have any other details on this issue? I am going to call my dealership tomorrow and request a fix. It happened again the other day and this is pretty silly. A brand new car with a parking brake that freezes up. It is a manual transmission and I have kids so not using it is seriously not an alternative.

** Update- Dealer replaced both cables with "newer" cables. No problems noted post change. All good and no lock ups since.
:D :D :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts