Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so when i first got my xb in 2009 i felt like it was pretty fast when i test drove it. now a year later after doing some mods( lighter wheels, CAI, Cat-back exhaust) to name a few. After all of this i feel like my car is slower than when i first got it. :rofl: . Im thinking it might be the transmission because it lags when i shift it(Auto tranny sports shifter). from 1st to 2nd it shifts right when i shift but 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th takes about 2 seconds or maybe a little less to shift into gear from when i shift. There is no issue with downshifting from any gear though. Does anyone else have this problem or have an answer? Maybe i'm just so used to the xb now?

· Registered
477 Posts
I'm not sure about how much control you get over the shift points with this auto shift stuff. If you shift into 4th gear and leave it there, the transmission will down shift on its own when coming to a stop which I understand why. So with that being said, I believe that the computer is still in control, say when you are giving it full throttle and up shifting too soon.

Of course I could be wrong! :p

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i was thinking but it just doesnt seem to have the pep it used to have of the line anything else that could be a factor there?

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
One factor is that the VVT-i is "Intelligent" (the "i"). It learns how you drive and imitates that, optimizing what helps whether it is power or economy. So, if you have been puttering around, that is what it will do. Mine was initially sluggish, but will now squeel rubber and hit rev-limiter in full auto (done a BUNCH using shift-tronic so it "learned" that).
Also, the "gear" step-tronic (or whatever Toyota calls it) is really a gear limiter. What it does is tell your engine the MAX gear you want in the automatic transmission. It WILL use the gears lower than selected, it the ECU deems appropriate. That is why "default" when you move it over is "3" and not whatever it would be for your speed. They figured "3" is a good passing gear @ speed, w/o being "bad" for lower speeds. You must "pop" it down to force lower gears. Also, the ECU won't allow lower gears than minimal for your present speed, i.e. it won't LET you go to first when going 60 or second @ 80. Knowing that, it is easy to manipulate to perform like a stick.
(I can drive stick and still have my stick Miata, but got an auto so the wife can drive the xB and we have 2 she feels "comfortable" driving out of our 3. If the shifter option wasn't there, mine would have been a stick and I would have had a "less than pleased" wife . . . oh well. Compromises in life for those you love . . . . :lol: )

That might explain what's happening.
If not, then you should check filters and see if it needs to get looked at for a problem. After 40,000 miles+, my xB is still very, very peppy. Use it that way, and it will stay that way.

· Registered
477 Posts
I think that you got use to the pep and now it's just the norm. When we bought the new dishwasher we couldn't believe how quiet it seamed over the old one. Now we think the new dishwasher is loud, just think we got use to it as other people still comment on how quiet it is.

Not sure if I buy Toyota's explanation of the transmission learns how you drive. I believe that the computer decided what the engine will do depending on how much gas is applied. Past driving is just that, when you need to move it out the engine will get the idea from the throttle position.

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drive my car really hard so my computer should be maxed out for performance if that's what it really does if not then maybe it's time for me to implement what I have been learning in my Toyota auto technician classes.

· Registered
294 Posts
MenniFresh said:
I drive my car really hard so my computer should be maxed out for performance if that's what it really does if not then maybe it's time for me to implement what I have been learning in my Toyota auto technician classes.
Which is ?

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nothing in engine and transmissions yet lol. i have access to TIS which is toyotas information network so im going to see if i can find anything.

· Registered
294 Posts
I have 40k miles and I am thinking my plugs and o2 might need to be swapped out what with all this B.S. fuel we are forced to run.

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah you might want to do that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.