Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having my windshield smashed, I'm starting to appreciate the safety of my Scion more. I bought a brand new 2011 xB two years ago and it has been a blank slate for some time. It's time to start planning on making my car appear as great as it has treated me. Phase 1 of a tuxedo style xB is all about affordable aesthetics, I'm thinking I can do this under $300, but would love some feedback. I tinkered around with the idea in photoshop...

First I started with a stock image of a 2011 xB

Then I reworked the image to reflect exactly what I have: a plain jain super white 2011 xB

Now to add my proposed exterior mods:

Spoiler, prepainted from ebay, currently running anywhere between $150-$200 installed myself. Never have installed an exterior mod, but the videos and instructionals I've seen on the spoiler seems pretty simple. I'm a problem solver and handy, so I don't think this would be a huge issues unless anybody else has experience with problems on a spoiler for this year.

EGR Hood Deflector, I've had issues with this are of my car from day one, bugs, stray gravel, and other crap that gets caked on from the highway. This mod is not only functional but I like the look.

Front Bumper Overlay, I really like this look. It's best pulled off on the 2008-2010 xBs because of the aligned grills and larger top grill, but after toying around with the image, I think I could pull this off with masking, some plasti dip and glossifier. From what I've read, some people do this with vinyl or get it straight painted, but I think it'd be possible with plasti dip. Thoughts?

Black Dipped Mirrors and Door Handles, I think this goes overall with the tux look. Black on white, simple, and heavy on contrast to turn head with subtlety. Again, going to go dip on this one.

White Wheel Covers, at this time new wheels aren't in the budget, so if I'm going to be dipping, I should just go for white wheel covers too. It might look dumb, but that's the beauty of dipping: I can remove it.

Eyelids, giving the front end a sleek look to complement black on white contrast of the aesthetics. Has anybody done this with plasti dip, or am I better off buying a set of eyelids?

Rear Bumper Cover (not shown), these things are stupid cheap on ebay. I'm going for it to complete the look. Black of course.

So those are the plans, would love to hear thoughts, ideas, am I under budget, over budget? Any advice for the evolution of my marshmallow is helpful.

..anybody curious Phase 2 (after funds reach that level)
-new wheels
-new intake
-interior lighting
-new springs (lower)
-new headlights
-fog lights

Attachments

·
Registered
976 Posts
I went with a vinyl bumper overlay on my 09. I thought about plastidip, but I wasn't sure if it would survive going to the local car wash. They hand wash, but scrubbing the front bumper to remove bugs might peel the dip.

I purchased a set of eyelids through TRDSparks. I love the look.

What kind of rear bumper protector are you looking at? Many are just vinyl. Some are thick rubber. I went with the thicker one and am a thankful every time I have to load/unload items from the cargo area.

You should go ahead and replace all of the interior lights with white leds. They are cheap and the whiter light would go with your black and white theme.

Overall I think your B will look great!

Are you planning to tint the windshield and front windows for a more black look?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I like the trend of blacking out part of the grill... I almost wish my car wasn't black so I could do something like that. looks great... make sure you post pics, I'm looking for some eye lids too. I had the rear bumper cover but I taped it on and wanted to re-do it, so took it off and think I damaged it too badly in the process. I may buy another one, they were about $50-60

·
Registered
845 Posts
I like the trend of blacking out part of the grill... I almost wish my car wasn't black so I could do something like that. looks great... make sure you post pics, I'm looking for some eye lids too. I had the rear bumper cover but I taped it on and wanted to re-do it, so took it off and think I damaged it too badly in the process. I may buy another one, they were about $50-60

You can still do it. Contrasting finishes between the gloss and matte looks nice.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
457 Posts
I like it, only change I would suggest is with the eyelids. I would do the inner portion, under the bug shield, black to continue the line down to the seperator between the low and high beam sections fo the headlight. The outer portion could stay white to flow with the rest of the car.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just plasti-dipped the front of my silver 2012 xb. But I also did the lower portion as well under the bottom grill. I have some pics posted on a thread titled... New mods few pics. Check it out! And plasti dip is great! It goes on easy. Just make sure u watch some videos on how to tape off with plasti dip. The dip sticks to tape so you have to peel it off instantly with the dip still wet. If you wait til it dries the tape will pull the dip off too!

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
sounds great!
I did my front with plastidip just recently and worked good following others i have read on here.
youll be cutting it close to 300$ though

I have seen a few painted spoilers for 120$ so check around and see if you can get a cheaper one (cheaper not always necessarily better)

a plasti dip rear bumper cover would be interesting. If you did the front with platidip you could try the back with any left over dip before buying the cover, would be curious to see how it would go.

Id say you are looking at somewhere around $200 (or maybe more) with spoiler and plastidip alone (if you do the wheel covers and also get the glossifier) so hopefully you can find a deal on the bug deflector and eyelids unless you dip those as well!

I agree with zinger, tint goes a long way too! (can try it yourself for cheap too)
Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of rear bumper protector are you looking at? Many are just vinyl. Some are thick rubber. I went with the thicker one and am a thankful every time I have to load/unload items from the cargo area.

Are you planning to tint the windshield and front windows for a more black look?
First, thanks for all the input! After reading some of the suggestions I just wanted to respond to a few, the quotes above...

The rear bumper protector- Looking at the OEM with Scion logo, they go for 40-50 bucks on ebay.

Tint- No tint, with a lot travel I never want to have my tint called into legal question with where I go, so I'm going to leave it stock.

Damaged said:
...hopefully you can find a deal on the bug deflector and eyelids unless you dip those as well!
Plastidip Eyelids and Deflector- this is actually a good idea that I had not considered! This would cut down on costs for both of those items if I'm already buying the dip. Do you know anybody that has successfully pulled this off?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Plastidip Eyelids and Deflector- this is actually a good idea that I had not considered! This would cut down on costs for both of those items if I'm already buying the dip.
Plus, assuming you later get funds to buy eyelids and a hood deflector, you can just peel the dip off your hood and headlights.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you're interested in developing some kind of stencil etc for plastidip eyelids, I'm definitely on board. I'd be willing to pay shipping costs etc if we find something that works and couldn't easily replicate it. I thought about dipping over the orange turn indicators on the sides of the headlights especially.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you're interested in developing some kind of stencil etc for plastidip eyelids, I'm definitely on board. I'd be willing to pay shipping costs etc if we find something that works and couldn't easily replicate it. I thought about dipping over the orange turn indicators on the sides of the headlights especially.
I don't think you would need a stencil. Just tape it off, spray, take tape off. I did my front bumper really easily. So doing a small section like that will be a breeze. Plasti dip is really easy to work with. And its removable! So if it gets places it shouldn't or you don't like it, just peel it off! Bug and tar remover will easily remove any over spray too! I was nervous at first to just spray away on my 2012 as its the newest car I've ever owned but PD is great stuff. I've also done my rear emblem and I just ordered teal plasti dip and im going to do my 18s with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think you would need a stencil. Just tape it off, spray, take tape off. I did my front bumper really easily. So doing a small section like that will be a breeze. Plasti dip is really easy to work with. And its removable! So if it gets places it shouldn't or you don't like it, just peel it off! Bug and tar remover will easily remove any over spray too! I was nervous at first to just spray away on my 2012 as its the newest car I've ever owned but PD is great stuff. I've also done my rear emblem and I just ordered teal plasti dip and im going to do my 18s with it.
That's what I was thinking, no stencil required, just going to make sure to tape off both headlights evenly so that they look uniform.

Since it sounds like you have some experience with Plasti, in your opinion how many aero cans would I need to do a front bumper overlay, eyelids, and mirrors on an '11 xB? The plan is to also go over it with glossifier. Gallons are out of the question, California law.

·
Registered
185 Posts
5zero4 nailed it. Just 2! I used 1 can on my bumper over lay. So 2 would be plenty

·
Registered
185 Posts
Since it sounds like you have some experience with Plasti, in your opinion how many aero cans would I need to do a front bumper overlay, eyelids, and mirrors on an '11 xB? The plan is to also go over it with glossifier. Gallons are out of the question, California law.
just make sure if you are taping stuff off just watch some plasti dip videos on YouTube on how to remove the tape. You have to remove the tape while the plasti dip is wet or the dip will stick to the tape and it'll pull up with the tape. That's the only hard part.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.