Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to know it is worth changing out the stock speakers with Pioneer 3way speakers while keeping the stock Pioneer head unit?? Will the stereo sound improve?? I'm not into loud Bass, and shaking the doors off my XB, just want to improve the quality of the sound.. Thanks..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Some say that the stock deck, rated at 160 watts total output, does fine with the stock speakers, but if you want to step up to aftermarket speakers, that require more power, that you should run an amplifier that can satisfy the RMS wattage of the speakers you plan on using.

If you can, find a stereo shop that has demos, like best buy, or a local one, and ask which speakers are running on ONLY a head unit.

IF you like those, then they will be fine in your XB. Remember to get the correct size for the xb though

Alternatively, you can pick up a 4 channel 100wt/channel amp for a reasonable price, and run a higher-end speaker in your doors, with much more clarity and definition in the sound.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I got a 4 channel 400 watt amp id get rid of haha

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
So I want to know it is worth changing out the stock speakers with Pioneer 3way speakers while keeping the stock Pioneer head unit?? Will the stereo sound improve?? I'm not into loud Bass, and shaking the doors off my XB, just want to improve the quality of the sound.. Thanks..
Yes. I've done it, there is a definite sound quality improvement. I would replace all four door speakers. You'll get crisper highs, warmer midrage, and distinct (not muddy) lows. Also, if you later replace the head unit, the aftermarket speakers will provide a solid foundation to build upon.

I would go with 2 pairs of Rockford Fosgate 6 1/2" Prime Component speakers and on the rear doors, mount the tweeters up high.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. I've done it, there is a definite sound quality improvement. I would replace all four door speakers. You'll get crisper highs, warmer midrage, and distinct (not muddy) lows. Also, if you later replace the head unit, the aftermarket speakers will provide a solid foundation to build upon.

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear.. I only want to replace the speakers and not mess with amps, or subs. Maybe one day change out head unit, but it works fine for what it is..

Just ordered some pioneer 6.5 inch 3ways. Ill post results in a couple weeks. Thanks..

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
fronts yes rears 5.25"
It's true the stock rear speakers are 5.25" however I strongly recommend that they be replaced with 6.5" speakers. The holes are easily big enough and 6.5" speakers will fit in the front and rear doors (I've done it).

Plus if you use the exact same speakers in all four doors, you will not have any problems with volume/frequency response differences.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I did the same thing as BrickPig. I got the adapter rings and connection harnesses from Parts Express along with the new speakers. They sound a lot better. Later, I got the Bazooka sub woofer to complete the upgrade.

·
Registered
457 Posts
A little late now but no you should not replace your speakers with Pioneer 3-ways. You already have seperates from the factory. If you want to replace them you should go with a new set of seperates, ie and 6 1/2" mid-woofer and tweeter combo. Thsi will be an improvement and keep the sounds stage up near the dash where it should be. You are going to notice a marked increase in the highs using the 3-ways because you will now have a tweeter up by the mirror and another one down in the lower door. You can try them and see how you like it but it's going to be bright and muddy the highs with the multiple tweeters in different locations.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
A little late now but no you should not replace your speakers with Pioneer 3-ways. You already have seperates from the factory. If you want to replace them you should go with a new set of seperates, ie and 6 1/2" mid-woofer and tweeter combo. Thsi will be an improvement and keep the sounds stage up near the dash where it should be. You are going to notice a marked increase in the highs using the 3-ways because you will now have a tweeter up by the mirror and another one down in the lower door. You can try them and see how you like it but it's going to be bright and muddy the highs with the multiple tweeters in different locations.
Totally agree. I continue to recommend component (separate) speakers for the front and rear doors. Mount the rear tweeters up high in the rear doors for best sound stage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's true the stock rear speakers are 5.25" however I strongly recommend that they be replaced with 6.5" speakers. The holes are easily big enough and 6.5" speakers will fit in the front and rear doors (I've done it).

Plus if you use the exact same speakers in all four doors, you will not have any problems with volume/frequency response differences.

^ cosign

the hole in the rear doors is large enough to accommodate 6.5, you cant go wrong with that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
. You are going to notice a marked increase in the highs using the 3-ways because you will now have a tweeter up by the mirror and another one down in the lower door. You can try them and see how you like it but it's going to be bright and muddy the highs with the multiple tweeters in different locations.[/QUOTE]

Can't you fix this by turning down the treble and turning up the bass?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Turning the highs down will decrease the brightness but you can't clear up the muddiness, it is due to having two tweeters playing the same music that are turned for different sound playing from different locations. It is also going to drag the sound stage down toward your feet.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You can always unplug the tweeter on the stock location.
Yes you can, but the stock location is actually a very good location sound imaging wise for the tweeter. Down at the bottom of the door firing staight into your leg is never a great location for your highs to be playing from.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Down at the bottom of the door firing staight into your leg is never a great location for your highs to be playing from.
Agree. Unlike low tones, high tones are very directional and easily blocked by people or upholstery. That's why on tower speakers for the home, the tweeters are place up as high as possible, to get them near ear level. Also why on almost all cars with separate tweeters, the tweeters are placed in the dash to reflect off the windshield, or inboard of the side view mirrors (like on our xBs).

For similar reasons that's why I recommend that the rear door speakers be separate components and that the tweeters be mounted up high in the rear doors. The sound stage is soooooo much better that way.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.