Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, Yes, i'm still alive and still have my 08 xB.

In fact, drove it over 300 miles on Sunday carting kids around.

Anyway, I have been hearing this odd noise for the past few months.
It starts when I start the car, and remains constant the entire time the car is running. It sounds like a squeaky pump, and the only thing I can think of is the fuel pump. It sounds like it's coming from the general area of the rear of the car.

So far I have not experienced any drive-ability issues.

Should I be worried?

· Registered
164 Posts
I'm not sure where the fuel pump is on the xB, when you turn the key on but don't start it can you hear the pump kick on? Everything should prime, and if it's not affecting running I don't think it would be a fuel pump. The only ones I've experienced that go out pretty much just kill the car where it sits until it's fixed since no fuel = no spark.

Could you just have a busted bracket on your exhaust? Could be swinging around and scratching on something. Is it when the car is running and parked idle or when you actually start moving? Could be brakes locked on, squeaky bearing, anything really.

If it sounds like it's coming from the rear that's where I would start looking for any loose bolts or odd parts. Start the car and go back to try and track down an exact location, if it still sounds like it's coming from your fuel tank then it very well may be a pump problem.

· Registered
845 Posts
The fuel pump is in the tank. If the car is making the noise while it's not moving it is not brakes or wheel bearings. If you let your gas get low too often it will overheat and shorten the life of the fuel pump as it uses the gas to cool it.

Start it up and let it idle, go in the back and see if you can pinpoint the noise.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It begins when I start the car, and remains CONSTANT during idle and travel.

How low on the gas? I let the tank go to the idiot light almost every time before I refill it.

· Registered
164 Posts
In general waiting until the light comes on is considered bad. I usually go in about 1/8" of a tank or whenever I know i'll be around a gas station before my next work week starts. I ride motorcycles too though so I guess thats sort of where I got in the habit of not letting fuel get to reserve.

Get in the back seat, get under the car, however you wanna do it. It's obviously still functioning but that doesn't mean it will continue too. I would have a friend start the car a couple of times while I got behind it or next to a rear wheel to listen and pinpoint a more exact location.

Do you have any check engine lights on? The upside is most of the modern in-tank fuel pumps can be changed without dropping the tank. Again though I've not dealt with a scion fuel pump and this car has been consistently far more complicated than it needed to be every time I start to tinker on it.

Edit: I'm still not completely convinced it's a fuel pump if your not experiencing and performance issues.

· Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yesterday morning at 630am as I get ready to leave the parking lot at work I start the car and hear the whine. As I pull out, I stop and call over one of my coworkers who also happens to repair cars on the side to get him to give a listen. Open the window and say "Hey, Tim, come give a listen". And of course, no noise whatsoever.

Go figure.

Yeah, I ride, too, and try not to let it get down to reserve, but do go about as low as I can go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.