Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i changed my brakes less than 6 months ago. i go on vacation and BOOM the brakes start squeling. i check the brakes and the left side grinded down so much it messed up the rotor. the peoblem is, other than having to change the brakes AGAIN, the right side did not grind down at all. it looks almost new. i have no idea what it could be but im just a little afraid that its something far more serious than just changing the brakes.

thanks in advance

· Registered
846 Posts
When you did the brake pads,did you service the calipers? Sometimes they will stick and cause the pads to wear unevenly.

· Registered
65 Posts
Usually you an lube up the slider pins, etc...on the calipers or you may have got a pad cocked in the caliper, or the pad is catching on something causing it to drag a bit. I always check the mounting tabs for any imperfections that would cause it stick and sand/grind them off. There are other causes too. Also, if you C-Clamp the piston to get it go back in, make sure it moves freely, my truck pistons wouldn't go back in and were dragging. Had to get new calipers.....good luck.

· Registered
477 Posts
As mentioned in the above posts, you should always lub the caliper slide pins along with the brake pad where it contacts the caliper. You can use a C-clamp on the front brake caliper piston, but you can't push the rear brake caliper piston back with a C=clamp, you have to screw it in. They have a tool for the rear caliper or sometimes you can use a pair of needle nose pliers to turn the rear piston back in.

I went to AutoZone and borrowed the right tool and it didn't cost my anything.

· Registered
647 Posts
Sam - What do you think about the DFs? An awesome spring IMO. Any more day time pics?

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone for the replies. i just changed the pads and the rotors so ill make sure to check everything twice and do what you guys told me. what made me really upset is when i went back to autozone to get new pads they should of replaced them for free because it was less than six months, but instead they tell me that ive never bought pads for my car there and that alot of people 'claim' they bought something from them so they can get free parts.

· Registered
741 Posts
thanks everyone for the replies. i just changed the pads and the rotors so ill make sure to check everything twice and do what you guys told me. what made me really upset is when i went back to autozone to get new pads they should of replaced them for free because it was less than six months, but instead they tell me that ive never bought pads for my car there and that alot of people 'claim' they bought something from them so they can get free parts.
Start saving the receipts.

· Registered
477 Posts
The brakes could be making a noise because they need changed or for other reasons. How and where you drive will determine how often your brakes need replaced. You should inspect/look at the brake pads, inside and outside to see how much brake material you have.

I had a rear brake pad (inside pad next to the piston) that was stuck, kind of cocked, an it wore the pad almost down to the metal backing plate only on the edge. I only had 41k miles and if it wasn't for the pad getting stuck a little sideways the brakes should have gone another 10-15k.

I replaced the front/rear rotors and pads since I was doing it, didn't want to have to do the fronts in another 10k.

· Registered
846 Posts
In my experience store chains that offer "pads for life" use the cheapest ones to get ppl back so they can sell other stuff (shocks,rotors,etc.). In the past,one of the things some put on new pads before installation is "stop squeal" compound on the back of the pads that is suppose to stop the squealing. Another problem is that some over heat the brakes and cause the pads to become hard therefore squealing. If brakes are replaced with ceramic pads instead of organic ones, they tend to make noise and can wear the rotors instead of the pads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.