Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reviving an old idea and taking it further. As I've argued before (a year or 2 ago), I am convinced that the design of the xB2 is influenced by vintage British small 1/4 ton/5 cwt vans and estates (Brit term for a wagon). Particularly, I looked at 3 models:
1. Autin A30/A35 (the A35 was an advancement of the A30 w/ same body, but new engine, trim, and refinements)
2. Morris Minor
3. Hillman Husky/Commer Cob (private and commercial versions of SAME vehicle)

I'm going to use elements of these three on my xB, to make what is essentially an updated version of those. The name for the project comes from the relative Austin and Morris company terms for their station wagon/estate models (applied to EVERY estate they made, regardless of model type/name). Austin called theirs "Countryman" and Morris used the name "Traveller." So, I've combined them into "Country Traveller" (besides, I live in the country, LOVE to travel, and enjoy travelling to various parts of the US in my B. So, it works that way too-> an intentional double meaning.)

The specific "style" I am after is a mix of "retro"/1950s-60s British "modern" (those designs were very "moderne" when created) and the "Industrial Modern" designed into the xB already. Call it "Retro-Industrial Moderne."

After I get back my main computer, I will be uploading my own shots of the in-progress progression of the xB.

Oh, and I am thinking of renaming my B itself "Flying Brick," which actually was a term from that period for fast, boxy vehicles and applied to racing Austins, Morrises, and Minis (which initially used the Austin and Morris brands, inc. Countyman and Traveller ones for the longer estate version that inspired the modern Mini Clubman).
Plus, the xB is more "brick-like" than the new-Mini . . .
(And my graphic ideas will work well w/ the Scion logo and xB shape)

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Inspiration A:
Austin A30 and A35 Countryman-

Interior-

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The inspiration B:

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The inspiration C:
Hillman Husky/Commer Cob

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On all three, the seats do this:
(from a Cob/Husky brochure)

Look familiar?

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As is/was (already added some "retro" touches to the exterior):

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are the rims I'm using.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

· Registered
474 Posts
Yep, I've actually driven a Crosley wagon (w/o brakes & a stick) owned by a local collector/dealer from a show on the town square to his shop/garage down the street. That was a BLAST!!!!!

Oh, and it makes the xB look gigantic . . .
When I was in the USAF (Walker AFB, Roswell, NM) back in 1960 I had a 1960 English Ford station wagon...it had a handcrank to back up the electric starter...it was much like the Crosley...man that takes me back!

Brewski

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
On the interior . . .
I'm gonna remove the Wallace tartan headliner currently up there (didn't stick the way I wanted anyways), replacing it w/ a multi-tone gray and silver threaded tartan-ish tweed. The grays tie-in the gray plastic pieces in much better than the starker red/black Wallace plaid. It also looks similar (yet more "modern") to what was actually done on deluxe-trimmed older small estates (when not simply using a gray or tan vinyl/leather cloth).

For the seats, I'm thinking of using this tartan (have it in a heavyweight cotton, which can be machine washed w/ the covers). It is Carolina (state tartan of both North and South Carolina), and toned similar to this pict:

The hues of the tartan, the tweed, and the grays and silver of my xB coordinate VERY well.

· Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like a really great plan. That fabric should really tie it all together.

Looks like you will have to remove about 90% of your seat material to properly line up with your old English models though.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I spent today stitching the Carolina tartan (shown above) onto the rear seat seatcover I have had on there from Ebay (functional-> as small kids and I HATE cheeze-nips and other crumbly orange snacks . . . that can come off to clean). I did the full width in tartan.

The fronts will be redone tonight. On those, I'm just doing the inserts (full length-top-to-bottom of the covers), rather than the full face.

I still need to redo my boot, but am deciding between tartan (depending how much is left after the seats are done), gray wool, match the tweed of the headliner, or black or charcoal wool.

The headliner will be redone as soon as the pollen stops falling so heavy. I don't want it glued into the headliner.

I've also added chrome strips/piping around the grill/nose, headlamps, taillamps, and radio. I'm thinking of doing some on the doors (ALA Morris and Austin, plus Mk 1 Mini).

(Picts taken, but this computer is WAY too slow to load them up.)

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Small update:
The wide chrome grill surround isn't staying shaped around the hood/grill edge. So, I'm going to remove it and go back to the more narrow one.

Also, the xB was re-re-re-re-(etc)-re-renamed "FireFly" by my kids. As the 2 relevant ones are presently 6 and 8, the discussion was rather odd. The 8 year old REFUSED to call it a brick, b/c it wasn't red/brown . . . :eek: . . .

Anyways, it works and works well.
Also, that gives a good rationale for some green lighting on a predominantly silver/black/red xB. Here is a firefly:

Plus, it fits into my overall themeing idea and Carolina tartan color pallete (see above for the tartan).
I plan to light the **** out of the rear in green, but only the rear in green lights . . .
Mainly, "firefly green" under the rear bumper area, behind the rear tires. Any front-lighting will be red.

Now, to create a "Firefly" icon . . . Colors will be simple: grey/silver body, red wings, red accents, black legs, green abdomen/tail.

Call that: Project FireFly Green

Oh, and I found this looking for firefly stuff:

.::The Original Firefly ::.
Made in South Carolina, whose state flag the moon and tree come from. I have a palmetto tree and moon in that Carolina tartan on my back window (top right) . . .
Just interesting. Only semi-relevant, but interesting . . .

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SC state flag:

And in red (historically rooted):

I plan to make use of both at shows, esp. those outside the Carolinas.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I've been busy, but the camera died.

What I've changed:
-Stainless Gauge pod plate (and added gauge surrounds
-Ordered new gauge faces (not here yet)
-Chrome trimmed the headlamps, tail lamps, grill area
-Redid the headliner in a multi-gray toned tweed (w/ silver threads)
-Redid the tartan on the seats, now inc. a full tartan facade on the back seat
Plus-
-I'm planning a series of nose and tail emblems, using a mix of Austin, Morris, vintage Toyota, Scion, Carolina, and Firefly imagery. All will have a "retro modern industrial" feel.
- Removable "panel-van" covers for the rear side windows.

My daughter and I named the B "Firefly" and it stuck (FINALLY!)
Also, started Project: Firefly
W/ a cargo area green LED light
Trying to get my hands on specific underglow parts to do a specific plan (light up the under-butt of Firefly.
Subtle side graphics

Here is a comp (using found-images and a few minutes) of what I'm planning as a vehicle logo:

The tan should be black or silver, depending on application and the "tail" tip must be green.
The background firefly isn't right at all, but is the only one I found that is semi-close to what I am thinking. That said, the overall composition is correct.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.