Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on a retro-modern industrial xB.
Here is where I've been:

Inside: Carolina Tartan

Well . . .
This came in the mail:

That takes my xB in a completely different direction. It's now shifting into an "Industrial Rally Box" . . .
My new plans are a silver and red "rally box" rooted in a mix of 1970s and modern WRC cars and a cargo truck. Kinda like "what if Tonka made a rally car?"
The color pallet is a silver ground with black and red trim/accents.
(The pirate-element WILL be part of the rally-box . . . but less literally than I was thinking. It's too much part of me to walk-away from it.)

The name will revert to either:
Flying BRICK
or
Flying PIG

The Brick name is a reference to several famous race and rally cars including the original Mini, several VERY famous BMW sedans and coupes, and a series of small hatches in the 70s and 80s WRC (esp. the "Group B" supercar ones).
Plus the xB looks like a brick, but flies. I like the name and the graphic possibilities are NICE, esp. in how BRICK can replace SCION easily . . .

The pig is rooted in an event where an RSX driver was bragging on Hondas/Acuras and trashing Scions as slow. He said "Scions will be fast when pigs fly." I proceeded to blow by him a few minutes later on mountain twisties. At a later pull-off, I was standing beside my B as he pulled up. He was dumbstruck :eek: and tried to recover from his previous comments bumbling around and saying something to the effect that:
"I guess pigs do fly . . . Still, it looks like a pig [unlike my sleek RSX]. It's a flying pig, hahaha"
Still, I smoked his butt on the curves . . . :biggrin:
:cheers:

This will be a "work in progress" thread . . .
The black "bars" are already gone. The nose will be painted silver sooner than later. Then, it will be installed.

I need to add a rear wing/spoiler, in either red or silver.

Inside, I am about to change the quickly fading cotton Carolina tartan to:

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and the "Box from Boston" was big enough for TWO bodies!

Or, three kids:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Where'd ya get the bumper? Kinda want to replace my stock bumper because I don't like those fake vents on the side. Looking for one that is smooth all the way around.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This one is off the 2010 RS7 xB (the purple one).
I got it off Phobic. Nopi, Fast Scion, and several other vendors carry bumpers. But, most not only have the vents, but they are even bigger. There is/was one that had two large rectangular lights and no vents. It was the xB2 version of the FAB bumper.

It looks like this:

I'm not sure of a vendor I trust who sells quality and has that one- at least not that I've noticed on their site. (Oh, and I only trust a small number of vendors, so there probably ARE good ones that carry it.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
After seeing the prices of those kits think i'm going to the local body shop and have them just fibergless the vents closed and the paint over it. I'm really looking for a overall smooth front bumper.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
just put in some lights, thats what I did and I love it.

I want to smooth my rear bumper and get some 2011+ tails with the reverse lights in them already, prob won't, but Id like to haha.

and TJ, I really like that new tartan you're going with.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I need to decide VERY shortly which color spoiler to get.
I'm either getting silver or red. Part of me REALLY wants red, but that may just be drawing too much attention to itself. Silver would be a tad more subtle. The front bumper WILL be silver and maybe some red vinyl added after the paint dries and cures fully (as in, next spring).
If silver, I will red-vinyl the outer parts, much like the 1998/1999 WRC Toyota Corolla did:

I've even debated making a red/black on silver variant of those markings, but probably won't.

Suggestions on the spoiler color?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the wing/spoiler, now waiting for a warm, not rainy day when home to install.
The nose is sitting around, still awaiting paint.

Here is a hint as to plans:

Common element?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The body mods got done:

The grills I added to the holes Phobic hollowed out previously-at the worst possible angle showing what's behind:

I still need to add some red trim to it, but waiting to let the paint on the nose and spoiler to cure fully first.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to, eventually make it adapt to several different "rally" looks, quickly and cleanly:
1. Clean- typical, modern WRC
2. Front lights on bar (have design in my head, but not the lights yet-> need to pay off the bumper first) (ALA a night-rally, as is sometimes seen)
3. Fogs and roof rack (more of a "classic" look, sometimes seen today/more recently too)

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finally got the nose driving lights to where I intended them to be:

The big-n-little (to borrow a hot rod term referring to wheels) light look was found on rally cars both in the 60s/70s era and in the modern WRC era.
I like em, esp. w/ the roof rack installed.
Oh, and the non-factory lighting are KC 5" and 6" driving lights.

That means, I now have 6 lights (inc. fogs), plus the main headlamp set.

The main reason I wanted that combo is that it gives me a number of lighting options:
Regular low beam driving
Fog lighting, for actual fog
3 levels of brights, if only used one-at-a-time, or:
Standard and 5"
Standard and 6"
Only 5" and 6"
Standard, 5" and 6"
Low beams, fogs, 5" and 6"

I do plan to leave the fogs wired as factory (turn off when standard high-beams are switched on).

I am mostly proud of how I managed to integrate the KC switches into the interior in standard blank switch plates:
The 5"- for easy, quick access on country roads

The 6"- for easy access, but will mostly use in more remote areas where traffic is barely existent

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now . . .
Who needs HIDs . . . ?

Hahahahaha

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good point. That is def. a future option!

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ultimately, both added driving lights and the fogs aren't for show, but from "need more light" on remote roads. Where I live, we have a LOTTA deer and various wild animals (have I said, I like in a small town in the country, on the edge of a national forest). Plus, I love to drive on remote mountain roads w/ a tree canopy and zero ambient lighting.
I HAVE used the 5" already . . .
It is function, first.

I once tried to get shots of the lighting difference on several light combos, but the camera fails to capture it well- due to not adjusting correctly for night-shots of bright light.

·
Registered
783 Posts

This look seems to be a bit more popular than I thought. This is from our local Scikotics meet.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
People copying me again . . .

That's fine by me!

(Hehehehehehehe)

I'm not sure about the 4 on the bottom. It looks more tacked-on than planned.

Aside:
As for driving lights- a lot depends on context, location, and use. I use them on country roads and remote mountain roads, where they are actually useful. I hope EVERYONE ELSE who has them uses their brain when running them. There ain't NUTHIN worse than some idiot w/ them on when completely inappropriate.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I finally got the nose driving lights to where I intended them to be:

The big-n-little (to borrow a hot rod term referring to wheels) light look was found on rally cars both in the 60s/70s era and in the modern WRC era.
I like em, esp. w/ the roof rack installed.
Oh, and the non-factory lighting are KC 5" and 6" driving lights.

That means, I now have 6 lights (inc. fogs), plus the main headlamp set.

The main reason I wanted that combo is that it gives me a number of lighting options:
Regular low beam driving
Fog lighting, for actual fog
3 levels of brights, if only used one-at-a-time, or:
Standard and 5"
Standard and 6"
Only 5" and 6"
Standard, 5" and 6"
Low beams, fogs, 5" and 6"

I do plan to leave the fogs wired as factory (turn off when standard high-beams are switched on).

I am mostly proud of how I managed to integrate the KC switches into the interior in standard blank switch plates:
The 5"- for easy, quick access on country roads

The 6"- for easy access, but will mostly use in more remote areas where traffic is barely existent
The switches look great.Did they come w/ the lites,or did you get them separately? If they are bought, where did you get them? I'd like to get some for future mod's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.