Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I've been doing today (my day off):
Before:
W/ ALL covers:

W/O the cover/heat-shield:

Somethings missin . . .

In process:

The shape:

Note that they are an orange/red oxide color right now.  Yet, the can said "flat red" and had a very red top.  We'll see if the color changes once heated and cooled a few times (curing process). . .

More to come after install, then after cure.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Freshly installed:

Overall look:

After first curing heating cycle:

So far, so good . . .

Then . . .

After LAST heating cycle (drive for 30 minutes):

Something has gone wrong . . .

:(

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully it will just flake off and I'll have silver/gray headers. Longer term, we'll see if the cleaning I did on the tubes for the painting removed some anti-rusting coating from Toyota OR if the pipes are some form of stainless (pipes really weren't rusted before). If they rust now . . . I'll know why.
IF the white comes off and it doesn't rust. I can live w/ it as-is.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After reading A LOT after the fact . . .
What happened to me is VERY common thanks to a small part of the directions. If read normally, it LOOKS like "let dry 4 hours. Then install. Then use a 3-step curing process of heating/cooling." That is what A LOT of people do (and what I did).
What you are SUPPOSED to do is to let it DRY full (may take 1-3 DAYS between the initial drying period and the curing process) . . .
At least it made me feel a lot better. I wasn't a complete idiot.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So . . .
IF anyone has installed aftermarket headers and wants to sell me their old ones cheap (or free, plus shipping or meet-up in the Western Carolinas/N. Georgia/East Tenn area) let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.