Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple of times now I've sat down and gone to start the car, only to realize I hadn't put the keys in yet. While I know that probably says more about me than the car...it's an obvious question:

RFID-based push-button start: Is it possible, and is it possible without breaking the warranty? Help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As long as you wire it to your clutch safety switch (not the real name, but I can't think of it right now) then you still have to depress the clutch to start the car. Would make it the same as turning the key as far as safety.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking. Mechanically, all the parts should work. Remote start would mess things up, but push-button is just an ignition.

But 3x36? That much wiring? I have to imagine it would be a huge red flag for warranty.

Could a head-unit shop do something like this?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Push button, by a button on the dash, is simply activating the last connection on the key by hitting a button rather than twisting the key.
The simplest wiring would be to vampire-tap the correct wires (need a wiring diagram) and mount the button. That way, all the "normal" requirements (like key in ignition and clutch pushed in) are still there, so it is about the same but with a more "fun" step added.

Back when the S2000 came out with the "Big Red Button" starter, Miata owners liked it and copied. I have a version of it on mine I installed back then . . .
The above is how they mounted them on Miatae.
If using the above, BOTH the key and button work.
I remember those who JUST did the button (rerouted the ignition wires) found it irritating on a daily basis. The dual-ignition folks got the convenience of the key AND the fun of the button, whichever you want at the moment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're making things way too complicated. It's completely safe to do without messing anything up, just like installing a remote starter is. With some relays you can trigger the wires you need and use your cig lighter as the push button without using the key at all if you want. With a remote start would be much simpler, seeing as most of them have an activation input for turbo timer mode and such. The car has no immobilizer (unless yours was made in Canada) so there's really no need for a key at all. BTW, the car has more than one starter wire along with the second ignition that need to be wired (properly with relays and soldered, not done with t-taps or scotchlocks which will lose grip over time). I'd also wire in a way to do a secure take over with the key so that if, say, the clutch is depressed without the key in the ignition the engine shuts off. That way you needn't worry about someone stealing your precious by simply pressing the button, and it makes way more sense to have a push button start that actually is that... just a push of a button ie no key until you drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.