Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post

Guys. Just bought my 2012 XB over the weekend.

Just purchased a DashMat (not received yet) & was curious where the deployment door is located for the passenger air bag
Seems like it would be the bottom arrow location where there seems to be a trap door. Cant see it bursting out of the seamless dash area

Thanks, Joe / So Cal

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^Thanks, Are you sure:(. Does the bag blow right through the dash?

Still curious

· Registered
104 Posts
Was wondering that myself this weekend while working on a project. It might be creased on the underside that we don't see.

Also, just a suggestion Minus, introduce yourself in the introductions forum http://www.newscionxb.com/126-introductions/ and if you can post some pictures, that way you can get a proper welcome to the Land of xB

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^Thanks for the welcome. My TB is just my DD but adding & deleting just a few small items.
1. Removed the stock hub caps. Running the black steelies:p
2. Pulled off that silly rear exhaust tip
3. Adding a DashMat, hence the passenger side air bag question
4. Adding a tow hitch (Curt) so I can hang my bike rack
5. Adding a black vinyl decal as a front widow visor

Anyway, I still would like to confirm how that passenger bag deploys. I still see that panel below as a hinged trapped door as the location. Why would they have it deploy out of the dash & the expense of replacing the whole dash piece. Anyway, been wrong before

More comments welcomed

Joe

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
For an airbag to blow, there is enough damage that the dash price isn't as much. Also, the dash is in several pieces, so all that would be replaced is the top part.
And, yes, it blows out of the top surface, through the plastic.
The dash cover will just be blown up and onto the windscreen when the airbag went, so it isn't a problem (unless someone glues it down with a rather strong glue-> NOT recommended).

I've seen illustrations showing the bag mounted horizontally for vertical "pop", but can't put my finger on them at the moment. Also, there are shots showing the "pop" outline on the underside of the top dash piece.

I had never noticed any door above the glove-box cubby, but will have to look closer.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^Thank you Sir. My curiosity is satisfied

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.