Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I tried posting this is in general questions for 2nd gen xB but so far no one has answered so i'll try this channel as well and see if it helps.)

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to this site and have been reading posts but i can't seem or haven't ran across any posts really about security systems w/ remote start.

Some things I'm looking for in a security system:
- slim design in the remote
- mid/long range arm/disarming
- LCD display alert display (if possible)
- remote start capable
- Price Range ($300-$600)

I just got my 09' xB about a week ago and I'm looking for a security system w/ remote start. I know Toyota has their own security system and remote start package available but there is few things that I'm not exactly clear on and perhaps any that has installed the Toyota or Aftermarket security system can shed some light on this for me.

So with the Toyota factory alarm w/ remote start, i was told by another scion xb owner that as soon as you unlock/open the doors the engine shuts off. This is seems kind of stupid to me and i was wondering if there is a mod that Toyota could do that doesn't make this happen. If no mod an alternative suggestion for an aftermarket alarm that will allow me to unlock and open my doors while the engine is still running. I've heard of alarms with remote start that will keep the engine running even if you open the doors but have a kill switch if the brake is pressed, ignition key isn't inserted when the gearbox is moved out of park or something along those lines.

Also, along with the security system i wanted to get an add-in that will allow me to automatically roll down and up all the front 2 windows and if possible all 4 windows. Also when the alarm is armed i want the add-on to be able to roll up all of the windows that are down. This is a feature like the one they have on the Acura TLs i believe that i know of.

So if anyone has any information i would really appreciate it as I'm looking to get this done within the next week or so. Also i ask that if you suggest anything please be sure to let me know the maker and model number please! Thanks a lot in advance!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the factory alarm/remote start kit on my 09 xB. There are good and bad things about it:

1. It is integrated into the factory key and you start the vehicle by pressing the lock button twice and then holding the lock button after a short pause until the vehicle beeps again. At that point you can release the button and the car will start after a second or so. The flashers are activated for 20 seconds after a remote start.

Note, that you have used the lock button to start the car which also locks all doors and sets the alarm. You must then disarm the vehicle/unlock the doors to enter and doing so does turn off the engine. I live in California and have enjoyed the cool factor of having a remote-start, but can't stand that it's not just get-in and go from there.

2. The range on the factory alarm and remote start is quite a bit better than expected and I can lock/unlock/start the car from quite a distance (100 ft plus). The only downside for me is that the chirp isn't loud, so if I can't see the car it's difficult to tell if I've activated the system.

3. I believe that the alarm was required for the remote start and the two together were pretty pricey (~$600) compared to other after-market systems that offer significantly more features (including the window control that you mentioned), but none of the after-market systems integrate into the key and I really appreciate not having another thing hanging off my key-chain. To that end that provides me a greater satisfaction then having more features.

4. Finally, on my automatic the alarm (security) light actually installs on the shift console. There's a little glass-break sensor (microphone) and red light with the word security printed below it. Frankly, this positioning seems a little odd to me, and with the front windows tinted having the blinking light doesn't make any sense at all.

Hope that helps and good luck with your decision.

Michael

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
mfielden said:
I have the factory alarm/remote start kit on my 09 xB. There are good and bad things about it:

1. It is integrated into the factory key and you start the vehicle by pressing the lock button twice and then holding the lock button after a short pause until the vehicle beeps again. At that point you can release the button and the car will start after a second or so. The flashers are activated for 20 seconds after a remote start.

Note, that you have used the lock button to start the car which also locks all doors and sets the alarm. You must then disarm the vehicle/unlock the doors to enter and doing so does turn off the engine. I live in California and have enjoyed the cool factor of having a remote-start, but can't stand that it's not just get-in and go from there.
that part there sucks!

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
mfielden said:
This sounds an awful lot like a programming error. It make no sense at all to have the car shut off after it's been started but before it's been driven. If you have not said anything to your dealer, you really should.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've talked with the dealer about it and they hold their hands up, because that's the way the system is set from Toyota. It's documented that way in the manual, too, so I don't think it's laziness on their part. I'm guessing that it has more to do with security - which I can understand - but wonder why some of the after-market products can do it and a company like Toyota can't.

Michael

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Wow.. talk about a(n) (in)convienence feature.

If that's the way it is, then that's the way it is.. doesn't have to make any sense, I suppose.

Although, if the car runs for a few minutes, it will get warm, and require less to restart.

I do have to wonder what they were thinking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am no expert at installing car alarms, but I would think that if you could find the wire that tells the alarm that the door is unlocked and switch it with the wire that sends a signal out when the brake is pressed, you could get rid of this problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.