Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I've posted before . . .
My B is getting a "rally" flair. I've added an RS 7 nose, a wing, various details, and am now looking into other stuff to get the rally "look."

Part of what I'm adding are these:

Mine are the 5" version.

That is part of what is expected of a rally car, even if newer WRC cars don't actually extra lighting much (if at all).
Yet, "rally" show cars include them, such as this Fiat 500:

It is even on this, my favorite xB illustration:

Now, how to I wire in the lights?
Where do I run the wires through the firewall to operate the switch (which I plan to put in the blank next to the shifter, if it fits)?

The original plan was to add threaded shafts/bolts to the tie-down holes/slots. Then, put an L-beam accross the nose and bolt the lights to that bar. BUT, I've been completely unable to get bolts or threaded shafts to match the tie-down eye-bolts.

New PLAN . . .
Use L-brackets to attach the lights to the screws/bolts holding down the lower part of my grill. I'll have to see if the grill works as a grounded element for the wiring.
The issue would be if the grill of bumper move too much at speed to hold the lights. I don't want to screw up the grill in the process . . .

Any other recommendations?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Historically, the look is rooted more in:

More modern version:

In the older days of rally, such were standard. But, as high-speed/sprint special stages more and more supplanted the long day-and-night stages, the need for the lights on the cars severely diminished. Now, it's even hard to FIND shots of modern (post-2000) WRC Cars with lights installed.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well . . .
Just after typing the above, the lights themselves showed up here, several days/a week BEFORE expected.
The mounting worked its way out. The base pivots and is wide enough to mount directly to the grill WITHOUT damage or permanently altering anything or adding ANY holes.

Now . . .
Any recommendations as to how to wire it up through the firewall?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.
If it's the one with the BIG rubber grommet for the main wiring harness, I see it. It is directly above the gas pedal, which is entirely electric by the way (never looked before, but it is).

This install is going to be MUCH easier than I had expected.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked closely at the rubber grommet around the factory wiring harness. The grommet is quite large and extends way up the harness. So, the original plan to thread the light wires through the grommet center didn't happen. I have tried running it around the lower, driver side outside edge of the grommet/hole. I am hoping the grommet is soft enough to still seal around the 2 wires I added.

The lights are now attached/clamps to the grill itself. It all works GREAT! Tonight, I'll aim them correctly and tighten up all the bolts so it won't move around.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shots of what I did:

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like fogs?

I may install the "Long Distance" version too, but I will need to set up a second loop. KC says that one loop will support ONLY one pair. But, I'll need to get more funds first.
The priority will be the OEM fogs, next.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope mine don't get jacked . . .
Sadly, the like damage to the grill and bumper would be more than a new set of lamps.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll post picts of the wiring, after I get shots, for whoever is interested.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
looks good but.... you need more! lol
You know . . .
After looking at it and thinking about it, a couple 6" driving lights flanked by those 5" would look pretty good. The wiring is easy enough, now I can just run them in parallel to the others. The only issue is where do I put the other switch . . . the one for the 5s is on the blank next to the shifter-> for easy access to turn them off/on when using and passing another car.
The 4 lights, plus fogs, would actually be pretty functional where I live too (though, ridiculously stupid and useless where my parents live-> near-town suburbs of ATL). 2 for fog (happens enough to actually be needed), 2 brighter brights, 2 mid brights, and the factory brights. Three levels of "brights" will work well, esp. on mountain roads and looking for wildlife on the highway. Heck, enough trucks around here have that (and run them ALL the time too . . . inc. fogs and all brights on at once- even in daytime . . . )

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got em.
They are off for the summer, but will go back on shortly- now that daylight savings time is over and it gets DARK here early now.
I'll get the shots up.

The outer ones are 5" and the inside are 6" and both sets are KC driving lamps.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
those lights look awesome tartanjack. interesting choice of where your going with the xb. I love it

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Go for it!
I have WAY too many ideas and only one B and limited finances..
If you like what I've done, let me "work w/ you" by PM.
What I'd LOVE to see made:

WRC-style xB
Classic Rally 1950s/60s (full on)
Old Skool Hot Rod
ShoeBox custom Hot Rod
Woody done RIGHT (vintage, style)
Full-on panel truck/van
F-style train (1950s streamline diesel)- Santa Fe Warbonnet or Southern
Medium Bomber-> both US and Japanese
Air America cargo plane (as in 1960s/70s airline in Laos/Cambodia/Thailand)-MUCH be silver base
Joker stole Arkham Asylum van
Joker Ice-Cream Van
Giant Yoda! (best w/ Army rock base color)
Moonshine Runner (actual style)
Moonshine Runner (legend/mythical style)
Pirate sloop (w/ erectable rigging)
Herse (derivative of VIP look on a BLACK xB)
Zamboni
Actual Toaster . . .

More.

For EACH of these, I have a full-on concept in my head that could be made in a week or 2 w/ the budget and access to a vehicle.

Seriously. If interested in actually doing ANY of these, LET ME KNOW!

For example, the "Toaster" is:
Silver base color xB (others could work, but takes some extra to "sell" the concept)
Black hood w/ blackened nose and "PUSH" across the front hood lip (the trigger button)
2 7' x 1' satin black bars on roof- aligned to the 2 "bumps" up there
2 foam-based "toast"/bread tops 6' x 10"-> attached onto bars my magnets
Interior-> MASSIVE orange lighting, w/ some red and yellow to add some variety.
Wire (large & fabric wrapped) hung from either an exhaust plug or from the rear tow hook point, leading to a weighted "plug" set up to the parking lot in a random spot (as if there is a large socket there)
Toaster co. logo on back window w/ "Made In Japan" on there somewhere
Some controls and indicators magnetically mounted on c-pillar

Simple, but making the xB into, literally, a Toaster on wheels . . .

Could be done EASY and look cool, but I won't ever actually do it myself, so I'm throwing it out there.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.