Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I don't have any pictures yet. I will take some. Here is the deal. I decided to repalce the rear speakers with some componets I had laying around. I took the door panel off, only to find that the speakers are mounted in a funky *** shaped housing. Has anyone else replaced these yet? Is there an adapter for fitting aftermarket speakers? Cause this really sucks. What should have been an easy unbolt, rebolt, and rewire, is now a question of how the hell I pull this off.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've replaced my front speakers with some JL Audio XR650-CSi's and added an older Eclipse 2 channel amp. I'm not giving them all the power I can from the amp. Yet. ;)

But what I did is drill out the rivets, unplug the speaker, then I made MDF rings in that triangle shape. I just used some posterboard to trace the shape (I actually cut the hole for the OEM speaker I removed, THEN traced the outer piece). I cut out the triangular piece after I router'd out the hole for my new 6.5" midrange speaker.

There are parts on eBay and Elemental Designs, if I recall correctly. If you have some wood working tools, or know someone whom does, you can just pick up a little piece of MDF or particle board from your local lumber yard.

I made mine out of 3/4" MDF. And this is for the front, but I'm pretty sure you'll be golden for the rear, too!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to state first, I did do searches. I searched this site, scikotics, and the web in general and found nothing informative to tell me.

Ok so your basically telling me you made your own adapters for fit the speakers? I can probably do that. However I am not sure the MDF is. Can you clue me in? Also I see you used 3/4" thick. I am guessing thats enought so you don't have issues with your power windows. Someone told me I might have to watch out for the clearance.

EDIT: I just checked ebay cause you mentioned it. There is a guy selling them made out of MDF, so I know what that is now. Total price with shipping is $22. I would rather pay that then try and make them my self. Just don't have the time for scratch built right now.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I know exactly how not having time to build is!!!

Power windows don't even come close to touching the speakers! :lol: Period. There's so much clearance back there. I've been thinking about installing Digital Designs 1008 8" subwoofers in my front doors for midbass duties. But I'm not sure if they'll get the midrange frequencies...

The rear should be fine. I've only pulled off one of my door panels back there. But I highly doubt that the window will ever come close to the speaker. The windows are about half the size of the door... :lol:

Hope this helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.