Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? I am wondering if there is a wiper stud cover out there that you can use if I decide to take off the hatch wiper. I never use the wiper and i think it looks like crap. I know that they make billet post covers for the front wipers for some models of mini-trucks but i am unable to find anything for a hatch wiper. I don't really want to leave it as a treaded stud. I definatly don't want to do body work to patch and paint a hole. Is there other opions?

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eric said:
If you search, you'll find that people have put cameras or keyholes in there. If I were to remove the wiper, I'd probably head over to OSH or Home Depot and look for a plastic or vinyl plug and paint it using touch up paint like I did for my front bumper license plate holes. :)
how would seal it so that water and stuff won't get behind the plug? I know there are weep holes at the bottom of the door but you still don't want a lot of water in there.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
I would also recommend looking at the metal plugs. They can be sanded and easily painted any color you want. As well as the body color, I'd also suggest you look into accent colors too.

As for a seal and a way to attach, what about a circle of RTV?
That makes it removable in the future and also should give a good watertight seal.

· Registered
613 Posts
this might sound like a dumb question, but here it goes...
lets say you remove the wiper arm, the post, and the motor (which i assume are attached)...
could you use the wiring and obviously the switch on the steering wheel to operate something else, for example...
LED's
BACK-UP CAMERA
AIR COMPRESSOR POWERED TRAIN HORN! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

· Premium Member
811 Posts
Good one, Joey.

I don't understand why you don't use that wiper. I have to have it, especially this time of year when there is a lot of condensation on that window. Do you towel if off every time you get in?

· Registered
528 Posts
JOEY G-xB said:
this might sound like a dumb question, but here it goes...
lets say you remove the wiper arm, the post, and the motor (which i assume are attached)...
could you use the wiring and obviously the switch on the steering wheel to operate something else, for example...
LED's
BACK-UP CAMERA
AIR COMPRESSOR POWERED TRAIN HORN! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
Yes. It's a switch, so I wouldn't see why not. You'd have to figure out which wire does what, but that's easily figured out. But a train horn would be better off with a large button by the driver's side. I had a buddy put a back up camera in the hole and it worked out really well. It needed aimed a little better, but that's it.

There's a company that sells specific plugs for this application. IIRC, the company is called Key Techniques. They're on ScionLife. I was going to get a plug, but I have bigger and better plans. :D

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
If you want to attach something . . .
And live in a city with BAD tailgating . . .

Mount a water gun and/or one that shoots oil.

While at it, what about a smoke dispenser or oil slick jet!
(Ala James Bond Aston.)

· Registered
63 Posts
Re: Rear Hatch wiper Post Cover

NO! NO! NO! dont squirt oil from the wiper hole. First it puts oil on the road and its an environmental nightmare. The second point is people see it and get mad and want to hurt you. The oil dispenser should be rigged on each side of the car under the back bumper. A misting tip would be best so that they just figure that its from the road and then they back off. Diesel works well since its a light oil and makes a slimy mess. You can also get special hydraulic fluid that is eco friendly... DO I sound like I have thought about this much to much...

As for the horn, I have a twin trumpet boat horn that is going under the hood in the fender or grill area when the front end comes off for the fog lights. The switch will be on the shift console so its easy to reach and you have to remember one thing. When you blow it look around in shock so they wonder what did it. I used the same trick years ago when I was a cop. I had an old unmarked car that I drove to my office. I would pop the siren when someone was passing me on the shoulder in morning traffic and the look around with everyone else. They never did see that cop but they sure got off the shoulder. For the few that didn't they got to see my front flashers and rear kojack light that was hidden under the mesh baseball cap. I still have a 200 watt siren with the electronic air horn but I would be too tempted to play with it. Then again 125 db will get thier attention.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here is an example of what i am looking for...
http://www.billetspecialties.com/item.asp?cid=6&scid=191&pid=681
I really don't want to remove the whole wiper assemble to install a camera or anything else. I think that it would look just as good and give a different look than what others have. it is just a thought.
I have seen someone out there that had something similar to this and it looked really clean. I really never use the wiper back there because when i do the road grim that gets trapped on the back of the car between washes starts to streek really bad on the White paint. :mad: Even after two days it is noticeable. I try to wash my car once a week and wax it every other wash but it still looks bad when i use that damn thing. That is why i never use it.

· Registered
528 Posts
That piece from Billet Specialties will slide over the threaded nub, and it has set screws to attach it.

A lot of people run those on their show vehicles/drivers when they go to shows. Cause who wants ugly wipers getting in the way of your nicely painted dash? :naughty:

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
xseveredveganx said:
That piece from Billet Specialties will slide over the threaded nub, and it has set screws to attach it.

A lot of people run those on their show vehicles/drivers when they go to shows. Cause who wants ugly wipers getting in the way of your nicely painted dash? :naughty:
I didn't know that it is held on my set screws... I would have gotten these a long time ago if that was the case.

· Registered
130 Posts
I'm not sure why you'd want to remove the rear wiper. I think anyone who lives in a snow-prone state will regret removing the rear wiper in winter. I speak from experience; I live in southwestern Ohio and they salt the roads like crazy when there's even the suggestion of snow. When driving on wet, salty roads, the rear window gets pretty much covered with and obscured by salt by virtue of the xB's flat rear; wet road salt gets kicked up pretty significantly all over the xB's rear. I use the rear wiper/washer several times throughout the day just to keep decent visibility out the back.

Remove the rear wiper if it really bothers you that much, but if you live in an area where they salt heavily in winter, you can pretty much count on being blind out the rear view unless you want to pull over to a gas station every so often to squeegee the rear window.

· Premium Member
1,052 Posts
They salt the bejeezus out of the roads here, too, but so far I've managed to get away with not using my rear wiper. I was going to take a picture of my car a few days ago before I washed it to show how encrusted it was, but my stinkin' camera decided to stop working and I got tired of lookng at a dirty car.

· Registered
613 Posts
well, i officially CAN'T get rid of mine! We got a crap-load of snow,ice,rain today...and i used the heck out of it combined with the rear defrost!

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I live in FL... it doesn't EVER snow here. I can see keeping it in those conditions that your talking about but i will never experience it in Tampa. not even a flurry. I want to keep the post so i can reinstall it if i ever move to a snow state. but just want to cover it while i am still down here and not using this ugly thing. I will look into using the ones from Billet specialties and just drill out the center to JB weld a nut to screw it to the post that exists. hopefully it works out like i plan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.