Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to lower The Silver Brick slightly, but don't want to ruin the ride. The ride height in the front doesn't bother me, but the back end is so jacked up, it just looks weird.

From the spring comparison thread it appears that the kits generally lower the back end more and a 1" difference isn't unusual. Unfortunately, it looks like you have to buy a complete spring set, but what about just installing the rear springs? The Eibach Pro-Kit Spring set lowers the back just over an inch, which seems about right for both ride quality and appearance.. At about $200 the cost isn't out of the ballpark even for an old fart like me living on Social Security and eating cat food to survive. Installing the rear springs is also a lot simpler than installing the fronts...which is encouraging.

So what do you think? Comments? Suggestions? Advice?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have also wondered about his. Mine sits so high in the rear it look like it's looking for a mate. If I install springs just in the rear, will it sit level or be too low in the rear?

Anybody?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Geezer said:
So what do you think? Comments? Suggestions? Advice?
I bought a set of TRD springs off ebay and just installed the rears (yes, very simple install) and it leveled the car out perfectly (measured from the ground to tops of the wheel wells). It's fine when sitting still, but it does sit lower in the rear when you have people in the back. I think it has to do with the different spring rates. The stockers look like straight wound, and the TRD's are progressive. Because of this difference, the rears ride softer than the fronts, but that's not a big deal--most people can't notice the difference.

I was reluctant to lower the fonts because I scraped at the entry of my driveway stock. Lowering the rears only eliminated that problem. I won't be lowering the fronts until I get my new wheels and tires (which should add a bit of height back) or I might just keep it rears only. I'm going to wait and see how the new wheels do.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked with my friend who works at Toyota Corporate in Torrance, CA and the response after discussing it with his colleagues was to change the shocks as well if only changing the rear springs. Don't know the details. He just left on vacation, I'll try to find out more when he gets back.

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scion said:
Put 100# of cat litter/sand in the back, that should lower it and you can remove it if you don't like the way it rides.
I thought that was going to be the magic solution when I bought three 40 lb sacks of concrete from Home Depot. Didn't make much of a difference. Six sacks probably would have done the trick.

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talked to my buddy at Toyota last night. After discussing it with his tech people, there is no real reason NOT to change just the rear springs, but he confirmed the recommendation to change the shocks as well. It's much more critical if you're driving competitively vs. every day driving. If you're doing competitive driving, you're probably going all out anyhow with suspension mods.

It's kind of a trial and error as well as a $$$ thing. For every day driving, change just the springs and drive for a while with that setup. If it doesn't feel right, add the shock upgrade. Doing shocks and springs together will give you the best conditions for driving at the xB's limits as in an emergency avoidence maneuver.

He had no input on ride/performance after changing the rear shocks/springs and then piling some of my lard-assed friends and their gear in the back of the xB...but it can't be much different than an upgrade at all four corners.

He also mentioned that swapping wheels and ignoring the suspension has a more serious effect on the ride. Ideally, aftermarket wheels should be the same weight (or less) as the factory tires/wheels. Adding somrthing like dubs that weigh significantly more than stock adds a lot of unsprung weight to the suspension components. It may look cool, but it's not a good thing.

In conclusion, he recommended TRD Sparks for performance goodies. All of this is off the record. Toyota will deny any knowledge of this information.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've done a lot of racing and in all the cars I've driven, experience has told me that you don't just do one portion of a vehicle. Your altering spring rates and you need a spring rate that would match up with the front and the rear. Just doing the rear can get you into serious trouble because your front is going to be too loose comparted the the rear. Upgrading the shocks will not do anything when you have just the rear springs installed either. What you actually doing is putting more force on the rear wheels when your driving and steering is done in the front. This is why you have a difference in height between the front and back. I have the TRD springs installed and its almost level. The back is just a hair higher than the front but it makes up for it by being stiffer than the front by a tiny bit. If you only upgrade the rear with shocks and springs you'll end up with a bouncy front end that when you need it to handle in an emergency you'll risk increasing the chance of a roll. If you are worried about scraping the front of your ride then go in at an angle. I have the 5Axis kit on mine and dont ever scrape even on steep entrances, as long as I go in at an angle of course.

In short I'd strongly recommend NOT doing just the rears or just the fronts anytime. If that was a safe method then you'd see the kits being sold that way, there's a reason why they sell them in sets of four :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like it's a hung jury on this one. About 50% for, 50% against. I think I'm going to take the lead from "Bench".
I've gone ahead and ordered the TRD springs from TRD sparks ($240 shipped) and going to install the rears only to see what happens.
I figure if I don't like the look or the ride, it's easy enough to put the stock ones back on and sell the springs even if I take a bit of hit on cost.
Does anyone currently have photos of just the rear lowered?
If not, I'll be sure to post some once I get mine done and include my thoughts.
Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I installed just the rear springs on my 2010 xb because the guy that sold me the sway bar threw the two rear springs just to get rid of them. I did not like the way it looked. The rear did look lower than the front. Also, the ride did not feel right. It felt bouncy at the front.

Ok Bench and Emgraphix. If either of you don't use your front springs, I have dibs. :naughty:

·
Registered
58 Posts
:wallbash:

You NEVER want to just lower the springs in the rear. Honestly the springs I bought made my car better, the xB rides much smoother, cornering is fun, and on the highway, there is less wind resistance and harsh body movement. (When I drive down to Florida from Kentucky, going about 95 the car sat up high and would jerk with the wind) Ever since I installed the springs the car feels so much better since it sits closer to the ground. And since this is a xB2 forum your car is brand new, take good care of it, springs is something you do not want to cheap out on. But if you want to butcher your ride go for it.

If you want a slight to moderate drop go with Tanabe NF210's.
To be lower, go with the Tanabe DF210's.

Good luck, remember, when your shopping for springs, there are online coupons... Use them to your advantage..

·
Registered
23 Posts
ai17828 said:
I installed just the rear springs on my 2010 xb because the guy that sold me the sway bar threw the two rear springs just to get rid of them. I did not like the way it looked. The rear did look lower than the front. Also, the ride did not feel right. It felt bouncy at the front.

Ok Bench and Emgraphix. If either of you don't use your front springs, I have dibs. :naughty:
I should probably have mentioned that I'm on Hotchkis sways front and rear too. I don't notice the front being bouncy at all or the rears being too soft. And so far, no unintended handling issues. For me, the car handles the same as before lowering the rears, but it might be the anti sway bars responsible for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First gen rear springs will lower the rear of the second gen rear to be level. I know its not rated for that much weight all that crap. But it works and I used the stock rear shocks. No change to the ride that I noticed and I had no subs then added a big sub box. I had everything you can think of with this set up and it was fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been driving with just the rear TRD lowering springs installed for awhile after bottoming out with the fronts installed and having the whole black inside fender lining rip out while at high speed. After that happened I had the stock springs re-installed in the front of the car to get the proper suspension travel and not bottom out when i hit bumps on the interstates and highways.

Car looks totally level and very nice looking with just the rear lowering springs installed !!!

BUT HERES WHAT IVE BEEN EXPERIENCING.....

ever since i had the STOCK fronts put back in, my car feels unstable at high speeds. Almost like the front end is loose feeling. Im considering putting the rear stock springs back in and driving for awhile to see if it fixes the problem....

Any thoughts on that issue ???

I loved the way the car looked with all of the lowering springs installed and it drove awesome... but I could handle the whole bottoming out issue in the front end and the noise it made when the tire contacted the inner fender skirting....

(BTW I was able to pick up the black skirting that ripped out off of the highway and reinstall back in the passenger fender with some new black plastic pop connectors)

·
Registered
185 Posts
there's another thread on here where someone only changed the rear and now the front supposedly feels unstable... I also agree to do all 4. The spring types and spring rates are both different than stock so I wouldn't recommend it

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been looking things over myself and I'm going to pull the front struts. I'm having a feeling that either I have a loose top bolt on the passenger strut or a broken upper strut mount.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.