Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering should I eventually get a rear sway bar? Go TRD, or what others are recommended?

Also I've been eyeing a rear spoiler from eBay from I think trailerhitch2, they got good reviews and it comes color matched for $99. Anyone use them?

If it's eventually in my budget I would hope to also get the TRD cai and a cat back. Not sure what brand exhaust will sound best though.

Thx.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hotchkiss is what I have and it suppose to be the same manufacturer of trd. It's for sale on scion life classifieds for 120 . tsudo exhaust is nice which I also have.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
185 Posts
ill second the tsudo exhaust. I just put one on mine and I'm really happy with it especially for the price

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill second the tsudo exhaust. I just put one on mine and I'm really happy with it especially for the price
How does the tsudo sound? I came from a WRX and 2 American 5.0 liters so I like a nice sound not an early vaccuum buzzy Civic sound. Lol.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mines sound quiet, I still have my scuba. Change the scuba to glass pack to get the exhaust to sound loud. Or
Add more power or turbo if your wanting a deep or throaty sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you drive aggressive than the rear sway bar will benefit you. It will feel more planted. I found it to be annoying as it is my daily and seems to ride rougher.

The travel on the rear suspension is also shortened as well when I go over some steeper driveways the rear wheel will completely go off the ground.
I ended up selling my complete front and rear hotchkis set and much happier with just a TRD spring kit.

All exhausts sounds almost the same if you don't remove the scuba tank. Get the one you like the look. I've had both Tsudo and now sporting a krup exhaust.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you drive aggressive than the rear sway bar will benefit you. It will feel more planted. I found it to be annoying as it is my daily and seems to ride rougher.

The travel on the rear suspension is also shortened as well when I go over some steeper driveways the rear wheel will completely go off the ground.
I ended up selling my complete front and rear hotchkis set and much happier with just a TRD spring kit.

All exhausts sounds almost the same if you don't remove the scuba tank. Get the one you like the look. I've had both Tsudo and now sporting a krup exhaust.
Thanks for the input. This is my commute/daily/only lol car I wouldn't say I'm over aggressive the trd springs are an idea and will give it a better look.

I'm not going to change the cat or headers so if I get an exhaust it'll be for a more fun drive if that makes sense. Look wise imo the Borla has a classier look as opposed to the boy racer tsudo look. They are closely priced.

·
Registered
185 Posts
yea I left my scuba in too. My tsudo is just a cat back. Its louder and deeper than stock, but not much. Definitely not a weed wacker sound though lol

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea I left my scuba in too. My tsudo is just a cat back. Its louder and deeper than stock, but not much. Definitely not a weed wacker sound though lol
If I do get an exhaust it'll be a tough choice I like yours and the Borla. The Tsudo seems to be liked by a lot of people on here. The difference being a tsudo is a catback where the borla is an axle back and I guess the look of them. I suppose I can't go wrong with either one. I like that you said it's slightly louder and deeper not a weed wacker lol that's what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If I do get an exhaust it'll be a tough choice I like yours and the Borla. The Tsudo seems to be liked by a lot of people on here. The difference being a tsudo is a catback where the borla is an axle back and I guess the look of them. I suppose I can't go wrong with either one. I like that you said it's slightly louder and deeper not a weed wacker lol that's what I'm looking for.
yeah the main difference is definitely going to be look. The tsudo is a little "ricey" looking, I guess you could call it that. The actual muffler is kinda big. It was larger than I was expecting. But once mounted up and I actually heard it, I was pleased. I like the blue burnt tip and the exhaust has a nice angle and hugs the bumper nicely. The borla looks kind of stock to me which is why I didn't go that route. I'll try to post some more pics up tomorrow of mine if it'll help any.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah the main difference is definitely going to be look. The tsudo is a little "ricey" looking, I guess you could call it that. The actual muffler is kinda big. It was larger than I was expecting. But once mounted up and I actually heard it, I was pleased. I like the blue burnt tip and the exhaust has a nice angle and hugs the bumper nicely. The borla looks kind of stock to me which is why I didn't go that route. I'll try to post some more pics up tomorrow of mine if it'll help any.
Thanks. That'll be awesome. The blue "burnt" tip would probably look good with my color car.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i posted a few more exhaust pics for you on my other thread. its titled new mods, few pics. hopefully they help a little.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have a couple questions about sway bars - I see a lot of people have gone with Hotchkis and they have a front and rear sway bar kit, but on their site I see it only goes through 2009 - Hotchkis Sport Suspension
So what does that mean? They stopped making it? I doubt there is a difference 2010 and up.

However, I also see it is for sale at fastscions.com for 2008-2014 - Hotchkis Sway Bars: Scion xB 2008 - 2014 (xB2)
It's $320.

I see there is a TRD Rear Sway bar and read that several people have those (I see $223). Though it is red, hehe. I don't see any front sway bar though. Is there a TRD front sway bar?

Is there much difference between the rear sway bars? Tough to say probably. And does the front sway bar maybe not make as much difference as the rear would?

By the way NYxB, I'm getting the TRD CAI put in shortly. I don't think anybody else here has the newer one. It is pricey! But I figured for something on the front end of the powertrain and with 5+ years left on my warranty I'll play it safe here so it will be covered along with everything else.

·
Registered
979 Posts
There is no TRD front sway bar.

The Hotchkis front/rear are supposed to be stiffer than the TRD. I'm sure the suspension is the same and it would fit any gen 2 xB.

I have the TRD and it made a big difference in reducing body roll.

Which you need I supposed depends on how you're going to be driving your xB. TartanJack has said he loves the Hotchkis set up, but he is driving fast on twisty mountain roads.

Installing the TRD was a piece of cake and took about 15 minutes. I've heard that installing a front sway bar is much more involved, but haven't done it myself.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I agree with Zinger's comments. The Hotchkis setup is supposed to be stiffer than adding the TRD rear bar.

I have a couple questions about sway bars - I see a lot of people have gone with Hotchkis and they have a front and rear sway bar kit, but on their site I see it only goes through 2009 - Hotchkis Sport Suspension
So what does that mean? They stopped making it? I doubt there is a difference 2010 and up.
Correct, the 2008-present xB suspension is all the same.

I see there is a TRD Rear Sway bar and read that several people have those (I see $223). Though it is red, hehe. I don't see any front sway bar though. Is there a TRD front sway bar?
There is no TRD front sway bar. The rear TRD sway bar is designed to work with the OEM front sway bar.

Is there much difference between the rear sway bars? Tough to say probably. And does the front sway bar maybe not make as much difference as the rear would?
As I see it, the front bar makes the biggest difference, that's why they are standard equipment on almost all cars.

The difference between the two setups is cost/performance vs. comfort. The pair of Hotchkis bars will probably perform better than adding the TRD rear bar. However the stiffer the bar, the more the independent suspension behaves like a "live axle" because the stiffer bar will transfer more of the wheel movement from one side of the car to the other (after all that is what's it's designed to do). It's up to you how much ride compliance you are willing to give up for performance.

For myself, I did notice the ride worsened slightly compared to stock after adding the TRD rear bar, but the increased cornering performance was worth it to me. I've not experienced a Hotchkis setup so I can't compare the two. Have fun shopping!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've heard on here the hotchkis are good but the front is such a pain they don't even install it. Others have said they like just installing the trd springs instead of the rear sway and like the improved ride. Is it true that using lowering springs whether TRD or not compromise the overall life and performance of stock shocks? For now the ride is fine for me but I assume I'll eventually do one of those.

Willie thanks for the info and pics I actually just ordered the Borla single outlet I think that's more my type hopefully it's not a mistake.

Hikingmike the TRD cai seems so expensive I think I'm going with the K&N sri it's decently priced and seems well protected from water worries.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've had the full Hotchkis set-up and it did make quite a difference in the handling, much stiffer than normal but not anything too harsh. The rear is an easy bolt on while the front does require the sub-frame to at least be loosened up and partially dropped to get the old sway bar out and the new one in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think pretty much any lowering springs with shorten the life of stock struts and shocks. Or at least that's my experience with them. I've had a few lowered cars and it does seem to beat the suspension up a lot more.

·
Registered
185 Posts
and the front strut bars are a little bit more of a pain in our cars than most... The strut mounts are so close to the fire wall that you have to remove the whole wiper cowl assembly. remove wipers and wiper motors. in all you have to remove about 14 bolts and misc. pieces to get access to strut towers. but the install is still pretty darn simple. Everything just bolts out then right back in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.