Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2008 XB has 111Kmiles and the rear wheel bearing are making noise :())
It looks easy to replace them .any good tricks out there?
Since I only get 19 mpg I m going to replace the sparks plug which look.bad anyway .

·
Registered
978 Posts
I did a write up several years ago when I changed mine. Unfortunately, the site I hosted the images on deleted them. The text may still be helpful though.

Reactions: 9.0 RS lava

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a write up several years ago when I changed mine. Unfortunately, the site I hosted the images on deleted them. The text may still be helpful though.
Ha ha ha funny that you replied because I saw your post before creating this post and was like "WTH ??? Pictures would be nice "..knowing that the pics had been deleted.

Btw already replaced the spark plugs $8.99 each
Wheel bearing is $150 each at autozone..
:())I going to wait a bit they are dying anyway so today or in 2 months should be the same

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 2008 XB has 111Kmiles and the rear wheel bearing are making noise :())
It looks easy to replace them .any good tricks out there?
Since I only get 19 mpg I m going to replace the sparks plug which look.bad anyway .
Super Easy swap if you’re mechanically inclined. With 111k Make sure you have some PB Blaster or WD-40 on hand. Good time to replace rear pads and/or rotors if needed….

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Super Easy swap if you’re mechanically inclined. With 111k Make sure you have some PB Blaster or WD-40 on hand. Good time to replace rear pads and/or rotors if needed….
Yes Im ..but wondering if there are other tricks than beating the c..p out of the old wheel bearing assembly to get it out ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Google ...park plug chart ..
In my case no chart needed lots of corrosion ....
Corrosion ? I assume you are speaking of that greenish crap found on metal when exposed to water and air.
What, do you live and live at the bottom of some seashore?;)
Seriously, please describe what you see around the spark plug electrode, I'd like to know what corrosion looks like. I may be needing an update on the colors of corrosive spark plugs...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Corrosion ? I assume you are speaking of that greenish crap found on metal when exposed to water and air.
What, do you live and live at the bottom of some seashore?;)
Seriously, please describe what you see around the spark plug electrode, I'd like to know what corrosion looks like. I may be needing an update on the colors of corrosive spark plugs...
Scion are known to have engine problem due to I think wrong size ring around piston..thats why they consume a bit more oil than other cars..
Not that kind of corosion..its like a white type of deposit. See picture attached

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yes Im ..but wondering if there are other tricks than beating the c..p out of the old wheel bearing assembly to get it out ?
The trick it to put pressure on both sides of the hub at the same time. What my post mentions is to put pressure on one side by wedging the socket behind on one side and beating the other side with a hammer - popped right off. Mine went bad because I had a brake caliper hanging up. The rubbing brake pad made heat and it cooked it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The trick it to put pressure on both sides of the hub at the same time. What my post mentions is to put pressure on one side by wedging the socket behind on one side and beating the other side with a hammer - popped right off. Mine went bad because I had a brake caliper hanging up. The rubbing brake pad made heat and it cooked it.
I see I havent decided when to do it but Ill keep this idea in mind ..thank.you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts