Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some pics of my 2010 xB aka Purple Thunder

Yup I'm an Autotech, this was the morning after I bought it

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this one.. we couldnt fit it in the moving truck so to get it back to my grandpa's house we stuck it in the back of the xB and used tie downs to keep the hatch shut. it was a sight to see.

So far I've installed the f700bt indash w/ipod, viper 5901, meng motorsport 5k HIDs, grillcraft upper grill, debadged the xB, painted the scion logo black and added the "bumper protector" which does not offer much protection but has saved it from my dogs nails a few times (2 german shepards and a cattle dog/pitbull mix)

A stop on our move, xB in the back, our Corolla S being towed by the moving truck and our pups while we stopped for a break through Shasta

Future plans for the xB include TRD CAI, foglights w/yellow hid, amp/sub (already have them just havent got my box plans finalized), oem spoiler, tint and wheels/tires. All this stuff will have to wait until after my little girl is born though (due june 17th)

· Premium Member
2011 Scion xB Release Series 8.0 SoundWave
747 Posts
looks like the same cai as mine. works great and now I can use the money I saved to by Edead and fiberglassing resin for my future. want some ideas for boxes? go to my site and look up the boxes in "Autosound by River"
RiverMacomber

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to glass a box in but I want to do a different sub setup than what i have now, so until i can afford the equipment I want I'm going to use what I have and just build a box, 1.6cu ft @ 32hz for my Alpine Type-R 12"

· Premium Member
747 Posts
is that ported? ported this will be fine. I typically build ported boxes using a slot vent style as the have reduced port noise and sound great. I have specs on a ported isobaric or Isobaric Single reflex bandpass enclosure. It is often referred to as a 5th order but it is not.

if its sealed thats not gonna give you any punchy bass, just boomy bass. this is because that is alot of air space for that driver. I hope you have alot of experience building ported enclosures. I started fiberglassing 17 years ago and as you can imagine I have built many boxes over the years. This is something you gotta get right the first time.

· Registered
979 Posts
...if its sealed thats not gonna give you any punchy bass, just boomy bass. this is because that is alot of air space for that driver.
I was looking at a Polk 10". Polk's manual recommends 1.66 cu ft. Shouldn't Red's 12" need that much (or more) space? Just asking... I only know what I read in the manual. It sounds like you have a lot of personal experience.

· Premium Member
747 Posts
thats for a 10" Polk driver. heres the deal, take your average 10" woofer. recommended space for sealed is .75cu.ft. ported about 1.10cu.ft. when you see recommended space that is the ideal for the drivers best output. built this way you get some of the punchy bass and some of the boomy bass, but the boomy is controlled better. when you build it smaller, you get more punchy, tight bass. too small and you loss. Same for the other, build it a lil bigger (this is always within woofer specs) and you get the boomy stuff and loose the punchy stuff. So for sound quality you typically build it on the recommended to smaller size. Tight accurate even notes of sound. You scarifice deeper boomy bass for a better sound. Now if you want bass coming out you ears for others to hear you will build it on the slightly bigger side and get that BOOOOOOM!!!! however the trade off is you no longer have a tighter accurate sound. go here for sealed vs. ported
Ported Vs. Sealed Subwoofer Boxes for Bass | eHow.com

· Registered
979 Posts
Sorry, I meant .66 cu ft. I didn't go back and check before I typed and put in an extra 1. Thanks for the information too. I would much prefer accurate sound over boom. I was already planning a sealed enclusure and I'll try to keep towards the min. spec. I was thinking of something along the lines of this: Elemental Designs: Car Stereo, Home Speakers, Electronics

I'll definitely take some time to check out that web resource.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It will be a slotted port, yes. I've been an installer for 5 years professionally and have dabbled in car audio for 10. I've built many many boxes. I generally prefer to have a sealed box that I build slightly oversized to allow for some slightly boomy bass. I'll probably be building it in the next few weeks. Ill post up pics once its complete.

Love the intake, especially the price!

· Premium Member
747 Posts
It will be a slotted port, yes. I've been an installer for 5 years professionally and have dabbled in car audio for 10. I've built many many boxes. I generally prefer to have a sealed box that I build slightly oversized to allow for some slightly boomy bass. I'll probably be building it in the next few weeks. Ill post up pics once its complete.

Love the intake, especially the price!
good, good, I like to hear there are other mobile e guys here. What shop you at? Chances are I know the name. I am with Ego Handsfree USA now. My real name is River Macomber.

· Premium Member
747 Posts
Sorry, I meant .66 cu ft. I didn't go back and check before I typed and put in an extra 1. Thanks for the information too. I would much prefer accurate sound over boom. I was already planning a sealed enclusure and I'll try to keep towards the min. spec. I was thinking of something along the lines of this: Elemental Designs: Car Stereo, Home Speakers, Electronics

I'll definitely take some time to check out that web resource.
E D is a great choice. I bought my edead from them. I considered there box as a temp, but I have plenty of boxes already.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I worked at a few small shops at first but ended up at best buy installing for the last 5 years. im moving on to other things now car audio is just a hobby/extra money maker.

I messed up somewhere along the designs its a little larger/boomier than I wanted it to be but its ok Ill do some tweaking on it in a few weeks. The low notes are really good. I havent built a standard box in years its usually fiberglass for friends and family. Anyways heres some pics

The amp wasnt able to fit sideways like I wanted because of the abs yaw device but I made it work, was even able to squeeze my cap in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.