Scion XB Forum banner

Can spare tire be mounted under the xb? I need sub speaker space.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
741 Posts
Interesting idea. If it looks plausible, do a DIY. Others may want to do the same.

· Premium Member
811 Posts
Since mine is lowered, there's not enough room underneath for anything much. There was a soda can standing up in a drive I had to use, so I drive over it for fun. It fell over...guess my car is lowered a bit...one of those things that makes you go hummmmmm.

· Registered
19 Posts
How big of a sub do you need?

The 10" Elemental Designs SQ10 ($70 shipped) only needs a 0.35 cF sealed enclosure. If you simply turn the spare over, you could easily make a simple cylindrical enclosure of the required volume. This is my fallback plan.

Plan A is a 12" Pioneer TS-SW301 I purchased on eBay ($79.00 shipped). This one requires a 0.65 cF sealed enclosure. So, I plan to flip the spare and try to build an enclose that's a shallow box combined with a deeper cylinder to get the required volume. I think it will work, but won't know for sure until I take some more accurate measurements and start building things. The Pioneer subwoofer is in the way and should be here next week. If it doesn't work, I'll revert to Plan B.

PDX_xB

· Registered
19 Posts
Phobic said:
I would kill to have the money for the jbl stealth box!
In addition to the high cost, I have another problem with the JL Audio Stealthbox - it's not compatible with the cargo cover. It's too tall. The cargo cover came with my RS6.0 and I like that it keeps the contents of the cargo area hidden from prying eyes.

The OEM subwoofer that's made by Bazooka has the same problem. It mounts in the same spot, but is also too tall to be compatible with the cargo cover.

This probably isn't a deal breaker for most folks, but it is for me. That's why my subwoofer is going in the spare tire area. BTW, Elemental designs makes to custom enclosures for this area. One for a single 12" sub and the other for two 10" subs. They are priced at $175 each (not counting the speakers), but you lose the room for the spare tire.

The enclosure I plan to build will be similar to these, but will allow me to keep the flipped spare tire.

PDX_xB

· Registered
19 Posts
Dude. said:

or get this, and a can of Fix-a-Flat.
I'm not sure if that would fit. It's a full-size "spare". The diameter is 26" and the height is 13". I'd have to measure to be sure, but I don't think that product would fit in the same space as the standard compact spare tire.

PDX_xB

· Registered
19 Posts
Dude. said:
Dimensions: 25.5''H x 25.5''W x 13''D of the speaker spare.
Which means it's too big to fit in the spare tire compartment of the xB.

The diameter of the stock compact spare is 23". Even if the 25.5" diameter speaker spare would fit, the depth is a deal breaker. The maximum depth of the spare tire compartment of the xB is a little over 9". So, 13" doesn't come close. If you're going to give up your spare anyway, you'd be better off with one of the Elemental Designs custom fit boxes - or making one of your own of similar design.

PDX_xB

· Registered
474 Posts
kingburger said:
get some YAKIMA racks and throw it on top.
Or better yet, carry a can of "fix a flat" and/or use a roadside service like AAA....this would reduce the drag caused by the top mounted rack and the weight of the under chassis mounted spare...(I've been driving for over 50 years and the need for a spare tire is overrated....just keep good tread and as much as possible avoid sharp objects, curbs at speed, etc....) Come to think about it I had to change a flat tire maybe twice in 500,000 miles of driving.

Brewski (Or "what, me worry")

· Registered
474 Posts
Velvetchrist said:
:eek: DON'T use Fix-A-Flat!! :eek: Your car has TPMS sensors! If you shoot that gunk in there nine times outta ten you will damage your sensor. I want to say there was a company at SEMA that released a new version that is supposed to be much better.
You are correct on the Fix-A-Flat and the TPMS...but, even at that, there are plugs and compress air systems available....need for spare is still over-rated.

Brewski

· Registered
294 Posts
Come on back on topic please I am hating the fricken sub box I have now and am looking at something to replace it but I like to have my bass too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.