Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to move the stock intake tube to face the front upper grill to create a ram air effect. Would this work? And how easy would it be for water to get in? Anywhere better to put it? Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
474 Posts
As long as the inlet is "high"....it should not result in ingesting water. The main thing is to shorten that long intake...but, whatever you do will not make for much improvement...or not near as much as a CAI.

Brewski

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know the reason why it won't make a greater improvement?

·
Registered
474 Posts
MenniFresh said:
Do you know the reason why it won't make a greater improvement?
CAI(s) are designed to maximise the cooler air flow to combustion chamber....relocating the stock input hose will not replicate a well designed CAI...but if you want to relocate the stock air box input hose...go for it....can't hurt anything.

Brewski

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How's the fujita intake you have? I have them on my car sponsor website and can get one for $140.

·
Registered
339 Posts
MenniFresh said:
How's the fujita intake you have? I have them on my car sponsor website and can get one for $140.
How do you like the car sponsorship thing? I thought it was a scam. Can you tell us anymore about it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not to thread jack or to take away from mennifresh, but i have the sponsorship through carsponsorship.com yea it does see like a scam because you have to pay. However even if you do the discounted parts it works out because its like 40 percent off most sites. So if you only buy three things you have pretty much gotten your money back in discounted prices. I was at a show today and had a lot of question about the website and this forum. I know i saw it somewhere but cant find it again the newscion xb referral cards if someone could help me with the link that would be great.... But as for the show i was doing great, i was in sport compact foreign. I had all the Subaru's beat and there was a BMW and a Nissan sentra that was pretty nice. Then of course there was a lancer evo with an exhaust and some carbon fiber here and there and it took the class. My car had a lot of compliments and a couple of people were on the fence about getting one i let the sit in it and see all the space which got me some votes. :lol:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven bought anything yet and Rochester doesn't have too many car shows to get free partts but I think that for 40% off with a chance for full reimbersement if you win first in an authorized car show is a good deal. You have to have a decal f the company on your car for a year though which I wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Brewski said:
As long as the inlet is "high"....it should not result in ingesting water. The main thing is to shorten that long intake...but, whatever you do will not make for much improvement...or not near as much as a CAI.

Brewski
If he wanted to, he could convert his stock intake into a CAI and the difference is considerable. However, if he's really concerned with water ingestion, CAI only increases the risk (unless he bypass valves it).

PS. For that matter, he could just yank the intake up to the OE airbox and leave it at that -- the difference would be very noticeable.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
TrevorS said:
Brewski said:

Brewski
If he wanted to, he could convert his stock intake into a CAI and the difference is considerable. However, if he's really concerned with water ingestion, CAI only increases the risk (unless he bypass valves it).

PS. For that matter, he could just yank the intake up to the OE airbox and leave it at that -- the difference would be very noticeable.
How would you convert the stock intake tube into a CAI? ??? And what damage would a little water do, if any?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Parkers09xB said:
TrevorS said:

How would you convert the stock intake tube into a CAI? ??? And what damage would a little water do, if any?
You don't convert the stock intake tube, you remove it (it just plugs into the stock airbox) and if you want, you can replace it with whatever configuration you choose. Either SR or CAI is fine, but CAI should have a bypass valve (in order to be safe), SR offers a very small reduction in max performance and doesn't need a valve.

What damage could a little water do when drawn into the engine? Well, think about it -- any ideas?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Here's your answer.

Water doesn't compress and when drawn inside the engine the piston will try to compress what's in the cylinder which will lead to piston/connecting rod/ or crankshaft damage. Water drawn into the engine can cause thermal shock to the valves also. None of this is good!

Bottom line is, when enough water gets inside a cylinder there isn't room for the piston and the water, so something will have to give. It's usually the engine parts.

If you must have a CAI, play it smart, use some sort of bypass valve so you don't ruin a nice engine for the small benefit you will gain with a CAI.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been driving Miatas for 12 Years and now have an xB in addition to the 06 Miata. The Scion forums to which I am registered (4) are meager compared to MIata.net. The question of adding CAI has been discussed, digested and spit out more times then anyone of us can count. CAI does nothing but add profits to the vendors pockets. The only benefit is to your ears. First of all any car can not go fast enough to add anywhere near 1 psi of pressure to the intake. The design of the intake tube from Scion is intended to influence the shape of the torque curve. By removing or shortening the tube you are moving :eek: the production of maximum torque to a higher RPM range where it is not helping with low end acceleration. I am sure you are going to say that it feels more powerful but your ears are deceiving you and your lighter wallet wants you to think you spent your money wisely. The only way to gain HP is to go with forced induction. I have a 2011 xB and love it for what is. Don't think Scion is trying to screw you with all that air hose. If they didn't think is was necessary don't you think they would keep cost down and save the hose.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Graywolf 06 said:
I have been driving Miatas for 12 Years and now have an xB in addition to the 06 Miata. The Scion forums to which I am registered (4) are meager compared to MIata.net. The question of adding CAI has been discussed, digested and spit out more times then anyone of us can count. CAI does nothing but add profits to the vendors pockets. The only benefit is to your ears. First of all any car can not go fast enough to add anywhere near 1 psi of pressure to the intake. The design of the intake tube from Scion is intended to influence the shape of the torque curve. By removing or shortening the tube you are moving :eek: the production of maximum torque to a higher RPM range where it is not helping with low end acceleration. I am sure you are going to say that it feels more powerful but your ears are deceiving you and your lighter wallet wants you to think you spent your money wisely. The only way to gain HP is to go with forced induction. I have a 2011 xB and love it for what is. Don't think Scion is trying to screw you with all that air hose. If they didn't think is was necessary don't you think they would keep cost down and save the hose.
Bull Crap....

Brewski

·
Registered
477 Posts
Cool Air Induction/CAI, how much cooler is the air temperature going into the engine? The CAI sucks air from the outside vs. the inside of the front of the car, but the plumbing still gets routed through the engine bay. Going down the road the air is going to blow the hotter engine air away towards the rear of the car, so what is the real temp. difference?

Maybe the plumbing is larger for the CAI system, so maybe that's what counts over the stock set up.

Just remove the air filter when running the 1/4 mile and put it back on when your done for the day! :D

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Brewski said:
Graywolf 06 said:
Bull Crap....

Brewski
Any more info to add backing that up?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks scion, 'preciate the water answer. I don't know much about whats under the hood, but I'm trying to learn!

This afternoon I removed the snorkel hose, and I can definitly hear a difference. I got confused though, do ya'll think removing the snorkel is just sound difference, or does it actually help performance (even the slightest bit).

·
Registered
477 Posts
Removing the snorkel hose is going to make a difference in sound since you are now getting closer to the intake manifold. As far as making any difference in power/MPG's, I believe that you will need a dynometer to measure any difference, and even then, will it make any difference you could notice? I don't think so.

You need to ram the air into the engine to get some results, supercharger or turbo is what is needed. Those systems are expensive, and for a car like the xB it's crazy to spend that kind of money.

I would rather have functional hood scoops pushing the air into the air box to achieve the "Ram Air" benefits that would amount to something.

It's you car, have fun! Why not just buy the CAI vent for a couple of buck and connect it to the air box with some PVC. Won't look as nice when you open the hood, but would be a lot cheaper.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.