Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here replaced the fuel door on an 08 xB?

Is it difficult? How is it done?

Seems like it would be easy but I haven't gotten a chance to go out and look at it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I damaged it (big scratch) and I thought it might be easier to just replace it rather than obsess with touch-up paint.

Actually, never mind. I just called the parts department and you can't buy one pre-painted, so... no soap.

Looks like touch-up time for me!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hey Ryeguy, you might want to touch base with a local body shop and see what they would charge to paint it, shouldn't be to much orrrrrrr you could always go carbon fiber. :yes:

·
Registered
476 Posts
You might just want to go with some sort of cool looking sticker to cover up the scratch. I just had an estimate done for a small (dime size) indentation on the rear bumper, the Black Sand Pearl needs a Special material in the paint, 8 bucks, paint/clearcoat $70.00 and don't forget the Hazardous Waste Disposal fee of $3.00. That is without the labor charge of $364.01. I know that the gas door is smaller, but I bet the price will be close to buying a carbon fiber door.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
eviljack said:
I have actually seen a full carbon fuel door on ebay.
I wonder if it was ACTUALLY carbon or just an overlay over metal . . .

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've been told that I'm Psychotic but never physic :rofl: I have to agree with Eviljack, I've seen them on ebay also but there aren't any listed now. Either way, let us know how you made out and most of all.... PICTURES :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kind of off-topic, maybe this should go under the thread "Things that disappointed you or wish were better", but I have been surprised and dismayed at how easily the paint scratches on the xB2.

The way the scratch on the fuel door happened, I was at a coin-operated DIY carwash... the whole reason I wash my car at one of these places is because I got a serious paint chip by going to an automatic car wash with brushes.

Anyway, at one point I turned and kind of fumbled with the spray gun, and the metal tip of it clunked against the car. Not real hard, but enough that I thought to myself, "Oh, that might leave a mark". And sure enough - a big scratch right down to the primer!

I did the touch-up job today and it looks better... not perfect, but probably I am the only one who would ever notice it.

Another time I got a pretty good series of scratches when the overhead-mounted hose from one of these car washes rubbed against the side of the car as I was maneuvering around it!

I've never really paid that close attention to paint durability in any of my other vehicles, but it seems like the paint / clearcoat on the xB2 is incredibly thin and easy to mar.

I'm to the point where, if I have my hands full when trying to get in the car and I am tempted to put something on the roof or on the hood while I get out my keys, I think twice about it. Feels like if I breathe on it too hard, it's going to scratch.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Interesting, I've said before that I haven't had any problems with the paint on mine. I still haven't gotten any stone chips on the hood and I have almost 9000 miles.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Dude What did you decide to do with your fuel door?????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.