Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a step-by-step on how to remove the "squirrel finder" for our projector headlights? I have to get rid-off the glare spots on top of the cut-off.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
This may help (from a 4-Runner forum):
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/57289-what-squirrel-finder.html

On the xB's lights, it makes what looks like "eyes" on the wall looking back at you. Their purpose is to send light to signs and other light-reflecting stuff on the road (like signs, deer eyes, etc).

What I'm wondering is why ya'll want to remove them?
Do you live in a city, were headlights aren't really needed too much to see (but help others see you)?
(I live in a SMALL town in the countryside, so I actually USE brights/highs quite a bit and lowbeams in-town and when passing a car/truck head-on on a road. But, I was raised in Atlanta where high-beams are used practically never.)

· Registered
979 Posts
TartanJack - I was just reading the same post. You beat me to the punch lol. I did read on another thread that retrofitting HID bulbs in reflector housings scatters the light and causes lots of glare that you wouldn't get buying an entire HID housing. Does anyone have experience with this? I was thinking of buying the kit from ddm that others here have recommended. Would have to think twice if it is going to blind the oncoming cars.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Google is pretty cool, isn't it . . . :lol:

· Registered
89 Posts
HID's in the xb(low beams) should be perfectly fine..seeing as they already have projectors for the low beams. The "squirrel finders" just seem to cause hotspots..and these appear to be more of a nitpick than anything...removing them seems to fix it.

Now, putting HID bulbs in a car that uses plain reflectors and no projector housings(such as our high beams)...thats a no-no, and WILL blind people.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have had HIDs in my 08 since... the first week I bought it. No problems with blinding people. I actually like the beam pattern with the squirrel-finders. Signs are very visible, road visibility is great, and I am yet to be "flashed" by other drivers. For the record, I run 35 watt kits, not the 55 watts. I do have the 55 watt kit on my bike, and it is an overkill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.