Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I seem to be among some others that think the xB reminds them of an "old" truck/vehicle, namely something from the 1930s-early 1960s.

So, what interior modifications do ya'll think enhance that look?

(My intent in this thread is to collect all the interior "retro-mods" into one location. Of particular personal interest is the "real thing," trucks and cars from the 30s-early 60s, and what WAS done, as well as the "mythic and legendary" mods that coulda-shoulda been done "back in the day.")

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Divco milk truck.
http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Divco/
Note:
VERY spartan interior. There is little except the gauges, one seat and a shift knob.
Also, the interior is painted white or a light gray, no trim at all.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh,

Here is the same site's link to the Dodge Airflow, the car the PT Cruiser "apes:"
http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Airflow/

(Just thought it would be interesting as to how it WAS done on a "Streamline"/Modern nice car in the 1930s.)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I think a retro interior would be killer. However there is a difference between retro interior and retro delivery truck. As you said those trucks were sparse. I don't think the xB would look good like that unless you did some shee metal work inside. If you did that and made eveything flat and smooth like a delivery truck, that would be super cool.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eviljack said:
I think a retro interior would be killer. However there is a difference between retro interior and retro delivery truck. As you said those trucks were sparse. I don't think the xB would look good like that unless you did some shee metal work inside. If you did that and made eveything flat and smooth like a delivery truck, that would be super cool.
The idea for this thread is not just for me, but to get people thinking and to collect all the ideas. I've seen several really cool retro ideas on other threads, but have NO idea where . . .

For a while, I'll just keep stock with minor stuff. It seems pretty "retro" as it comes.
I need to keep mine as a multi-seater with all the safety stuff still there and all the storage and "stash-bins" in place.

(It might also be helpful in your Gangster car to see what WAS done in the 1930s, esp. in the custom and "show" cars at the tail end of the 1930s. At that period, the "Streamline" movement within the Modern design (sometimes called "Streamline Moderne") was in full swing. I'd also suggest looking into the Streamliner trains, as they were designed by some of the name guys, namely Raymond Loewy, Henry Dreyfuss, Buckminster Fuller, Otto Kuhler, and Norman Bel Geddes, among others.)

It is also interesting, to me, that what people "remember" as retro is often quite different that was actually done. But that is neither here nor there . . .

Anyone with ideas?
(For themselves or someone else)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I love the two-tone paints on the DIVCO trucks - maybe have some two tone leather along with exterior and it'd look really cute!

I have a gigantic vintage clothing collection and dance a variety of vintage dances, so this thread is straight up my alley! I checked to see if Missouri had variations of "vintage" taken for special license plates, but the only one not taken is "vntage" ..... I don't want people thinking it spells "vontage" or "vantage".... geh. :yucky:

So I'll probably get "LNDY HP" for Lindy Hop - swing dancers will immediately "get" it, although the majority of the public will scratch their heads.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.