Scion XB Forum banner

I wonder how the changes of the wheel size affects to the driving.

• 16" X 6.5J ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 17" 18" or up?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just registered today and I was really surprised actually about the fact that there are lots of people who love the Xb just like me :)
Well.. to begin with, I have my Xb 09' black one and I just got interested in modifying my ride as I like to.
And in most of part, I personally believe that custom wheel makes huge better look to vehicles.
And before I step into that level I want to hear from you guys who has more knowledge about the car.(I'm really toddler about car things)
So, bottom line is..I'm thinking of getting a 16" BLACK alloy wheel(to match the color to body) with RED pinstripe around as the pic shows below.
And the reason that I'm thinking 16" is
First, try to save some $$$. Cuz If i get same size of wheel as stock one I don't need to get a whole new set of tires. right? :)
Second, safetywise, I don't like to get any of affection to driving due to the bigger or wider wheels and tires.
So, my question is
1. If I get like 17" or 18" wheel , do I need to do something on my car? And How is the driving will be changed with bigger size of wheel? Is it OK to car healthwise?
(I read lots of posts here. so due to the bigger wheel, do I need to lower the whole body? Like TRD suspention?? as I said I'm not a car guy. I don't even know what TRD is...)
2. If I just get 16" wheel, as I believe, no affections to driving at all?
(And I was checking the size of current stock one, and it was 16" X 6.5J. <- What's "J" stand for? does it mean it's just 6.5 flat or what?)
3. What about the TPMS(Tire Pressure Monitoring System)? Would it be installed to new alloy wheel as well and works just like before?

I know there is lots of articles that concerns about this issue and I read it. But as I said I'm not that knowledgable person about car. It was too big words for me.
So, Please experts answer to my questions.
I can't wait to post new look of my box after I get good advices from you guys. :)
Thank you all~

· Registered
170 Posts
First the 16x6.5J iono what "J" is. Now 16s are nice since you want to save money but the gap between the wheel well and your tire will be big. I recently got 17s and the gap is still pretty huge. So I still gotta add some trd lowering springs to make my car look legit. Now 18s are sweet but if you really want to save money that's not the way to go. 18s are beautiful though and if I had 18s I wouldn't even lower my car. Hope to see pics of what rims you get...

By the way TRD: Toyota Racing Development

· Registered
44 Posts
If you are using the correct tire conversion the outside diameter WONT change. In other words you may be going to a larger diameter wheel and tire, but the sidewall will decrease respectively thus the "gap" that you speak of will not change.

· Registered
93 Posts
Octos is 100% right. Go to www.tirerack.com, it would have all the conversation info. there. Myself will also look into a summer set of rims and tires soon. But I probably go with 17" since 18" tires are more expensive. I got the TRD springs already, so it should work.

Good Luck.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
For changes . . .

Smaller sidewalls almost always mean a slight to somewhat rougher ride as their is a shorter and stiffer tire sidewall the larger rim you go. The sidewall acts as an additional suspension dampener, as they absorb some road roughness in their flexing.

For braking and acceleration . . .
Weight is EVERYTHING and lighter is much better. It takes more power and more brake work to start and stop a heavier spinning mass. The stock steelies are around 20-22 pounds (heard both and haven't actually weighed any).

For wider . . .
There is some debate as to whether slightly wider rims add more grip or just change the shape of the contact patch (which only makes a difference with significant horsepower-> where wider IS better -to a point.)
Between a 195 width and 225 (about as wide as one can go without some alteration or careful suspension design.wheel choice, there is 3cm of total difference and may not be huge either way.

That said, TIRE choice is PIVOTAL for traction/grip with the balance being between longevity, wet weather traction (moving water), and dry traction. The rubber compound and tread design are the key elements in this and are constantly changing as new designs are sold and old ones dropped and lines change, yet bear the same name. Research you choice CLOSE to the time you buy. Data from a year, 3 or 3 ago may be completely irrelevant due to running and continual/constant design changes by manufacturers.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Oh, and "J" has to do with the offset. The xB stock offset is 45mm, with down to 35 fitting great. Some use much lower, but that has its own pros and cons.

I'd prefer 40-45 if getting 6.5-7.5 inch wide rims, with 7-8 looking also at 35-30.
Much wider than 8 (only an issue with 18-20+ inch rims) may have fitment problems. I'll let the "Dub" fans discuss that one.

As for my OWN choice . . .
I am looking at 16x7 rims with 40-45 offsets with 17x7 or 17x7.5 being fully in the range of possibility if I fall for one 18 pounds or less in weight.

My present "infatuation" is with black Rota Slip Streams, which weigh just under 14 pounds per (16x7) and cost $550-600, shipped, depending on the source.
http://www.rotawheels.com/wheels.asp?wheelid=40

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you EVERYONE for your taking time and read and giving me a great advices!
Specially Jack!
You are the amazingly professional and knowledgable person! I admire you.
Most of my questions has been just got the right answers from you.
You really gave me a valuable informations.
For example, I was searching the weight of wheel base all over the web sites to compare the weight to the rim I want to get(Cuz I read the lighter one is better from this forum),
But I couldn't find numbers. I was just blaming my searching skill,..But you just got me the numbers.
And I was really surprised cuz I didn't even asked about it evenif I need it for the weight comparison.
THANK YOU!
And even your "link" to the rim page, That was so nice of you.
I actually kinda find very similar one to the rim what I like to get.
Check this out. and please tell me what do you think Jack.:)

Enkei Performance EDR9 black painted
Offset: +38mm
Backspacing: 5.47"
Bolt Pattern: 5-114
Rec. Tire Size: 205/55-16
Weight: 18.6lbs.

I'm still searching for the rims.
Welcome any recommendations.:)
Thank you all!!!!

· Registered
7 Posts
I know you didn't ask me, but I like those wheels pretty well myself.. And speaking of weight, my wheels weigh a ton :eek:hno:

I've got 19in. ASA JH9's. Here's the specs..... :confused:

Offset: 45mm
Backspacing: 6.29"
Bolt Pattern: 5-114
Rec. Tire Size:225/35-19
Weight: 29.5lbs.<<Wasn't aware of that when I bought the car>>

· Registered
2 Posts
Good Luck with your wheel choice Bennyin!
Those are sweet, but what color is your box?

I'm in the same boat with the selection process.

Looks like I'm going with the TRD lowering springs(from dealer)
and 18x7.5 5-100 144 40 Liquid Metal Venom rims
Wrapped with Falken 225/40 R18 tires.

I;ll post pics as soon as I own my baby!

Good luck to all newbie owners and those anxiously awaiting.
HMT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.