1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Northwest Connecticut to Maricopa, Arizona via Nashville and Memphis
3075 miles/nine days
Typical Speed: 70+/80+ mph
Average Speed: 52 mph (includes local cruising)
Max Speed: 92.4 mph
Average MPG: 28.6 mpg (averaged over 30 mpg in Eastern states at 60-70 mph which dropped in Western states at 80+ mph)
Problems: None
Accidents: None
Accidents Witnessed: 2
Best Part of Trip: Route 441, Great Smokey Mountains National Park
Worst Part of Trip: Pigeon Forge, TN (Dollywood), plus snow off and on until after Dallas
Cheapest Gas: $2.38/gallon- Tennessee
Most Expensive Gas: $3.09/gallon- Texas (off I-10 in the boonies)

Winchester, VA

Great Smokey Mountains National Park (Route 441)
North Carolina/Tennessee

Nashville

Beale Street, Memphis

Van Horn, TX

·
Registered
75 Posts
Allright ! Trip sounds great. Didn't record data like you did, but my trip from Buffalo NY to Sarasota FL was pretty much in the same. MPG range 27-28 in the higher elevations, and 29-31 in the southern half. Some mpg loss for higher substained speeds of 75mph.
I was lucky at the end of January and got south of the snow by a day as it came across the Virginia's and Carolina's.
We were in Gatlinburg and went through the Great Smokies plus Tail of the Dragon in late Nov 09. Loved the Smokies, had a great late fall trip around area. But wife didn't like Piegon Forge,...too built up and changed hotel reservations to Gatlinburg. We had her Honda Accord on that trip.
92mph-! you be flying ;) bet a few people we surprized to see the sliver brick whizzen by :eek:
Had a few people tease me that I needed a bigger car, but I said I needed a bigger tank so I didn't have to stop as often. Proably just as well, drain one tank-fill the other
The strange little shelf in front of the steering wheel has worked out great for the GPS.
Got my first oil change set for this thurs. Hope they don't mess up my wheel balance doing the rotation, Ran straight and true on the way down, Heading home begining of March.
Enjoy your trip out west and have a safe trip home.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trip was lots of fun...but I love road trips. BBQ was good. 92 mph was from blasting past semis as quickly as possible to avoid the ice bombs flying off the top of them. Met two couples at the El Capitan Hotel in Van Horn who were bicycling across the U.S. I prefer the xB.

A stitched panorama from Route 441...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Blk Box said:
Allright ! Trip sounds great. Didn't record data like you did, but my trip from Buffalo NY to Sarasota FL...
are you from buffalo? cus im from rochester and we are pretty close. do you do any car shows?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Geezer said:
Trip was lots of fun...but I love road trips. BBQ was good. 92 mph was from blasting past semis as quickly as possible to avoid the ice bombs flying off the top of them. Met two couples at the El Capitan Hotel in Van Horn who were bicycling across the U.S. I prefer the xB.

A stitched panorama from Route 441...

Smart move -about the semi's- those ice sheets can be killers.
Great pic- wish I knew how to get pic's to post, I'z just arse backwards and get fustrated.
An epic adventure for the bicycle duo for sure, but I,am with you xB trumps 2 of a kind.

·
Registered
75 Posts
MenniFresh said:
Blk Box said:
Allright ! Trip sounds great. Didn't record data like you did, but my trip from Buffalo NY to Sarasota FL...
are you from buffalo? cus im from rochester and we are pretty close. do you do any car shows?
I'm from Clarence, just east of Buffalo airport. RIT gad now in early 60's ,What kinda of car shows, Scion meets or general car shows ? Do you mean in WNY or in Florida.
Would be neat to see what some people have done to their "B"- young or older.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I mean in WNY. I never see anyone with modded xB2's. i need to find a car show around here where i can find some xB's. im in college so i cant go very far right now to be in a car show.

·
Registered
75 Posts
MenniFresh said:
I mean in WNY. I never see anyone with modded xB2's. i need to find a car show around here where i can find some xB's. im in college so i cant go very far right now to be in a car show.
Well maybe you could be the WNY group moderator or track down other xB ers in our area through web sites, You "yutes" can run circles around many of us with limited computer savy. We can do a Timmy Ho's meet some time in March or April and maybe round up a few others. Many groups start small and grow, Might do some brain storming or others on this site can give us some clues. There maybe a group out there in WNY we don't know about. Dealer participation is a plus.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
MenniFresh said:
You could ask here: http://www.scikotics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=330
Scikotics has a chapter in NY, but I don't know if they have members w/ xB2s, or if they are more western NY or central NY . . .
NYC has its own chapter, so that isn't an issue.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Those are some good ideas guys. I will check out the site and see what i can find.

·
Registered
614 Posts
MenniFresh said:
Hey MenniFreash, I heard that you are looking for other people in WNY from TartanJack on the Scikotics Site. There are many car shows in the Rochester area and we should have a list out soon. I just joined the local Scikotics Club in Rochester, maybe that is something that might interest you? Send me a PM.

·
Registered
75 Posts
XBinRochester said:
MenniFresh said:
Hey MenniFreash, I heard that you are looking for other people in WNY from TartanJack on the Scikotics Site. There are many car shows in the Rochester area and we should have a list out soon. I just joined the local Scikotics Club in Rochester, maybe that is something that might interest you? Send me a PM.
Hey guys, just got back in WNY, 40 degrees and sunny-! better than Florida. If you can send me a list of xB shows in Rochester or Buffalo I'd appreciate it.. The wife and I were watching Boomer's special the other night and fell asleep before it was over :( so that will tell you we are more snooze-rs than rockers these days. I deal with Country Rode Vespa out in Fairport as a prime reason to be back in Rochester area these days. I saw a 1st gen B around the Yankee spring training stadium in Tampa/St Pete with the Scikotics decal covering most of his back window and gave him a toot at the light as we passed. Not sure what that moniker means and what the demographics or purpose is primarily.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Blk Box said:
I saw a 1st gen B around the Yankee spring training stadium in Tampa/St Pete with the Scikotics decal covering most of his back window and gave him a toot at the light as we passed. Not sure what that moniker means and what the demographics or purpose is primarily.
Scikotics is a Nationwide Scion Club. Check us out at:
http://www.scikotics.com/forums/index.php

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
There are many members of Scikotics on here . . .
If you look around on that site, you'll see many repeated names from here.

I'm a member too.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back home again...had a great time. Nine days going out and seven days coming back. Reconnected with family and old friends along the way, spent three weeks in Arizona with my son and toured Nashville and Memphis. The xB was great in all kinds of terrain and weather. Only one minor incident. Ran over a big chunk of tire tread in heavy traffic in San Antonio, TX and trashed the right front fender liner. Cut the front half off and duct taped what was left to the fender for the rest of the trip. No other damage and the xB tracks just fine.

Some final stats:

Total miles: 7097.1
Average mpg: 30.5
Average speed: 58 mph
Tickets:0
Close calls: 1
Most common road debris: Tire treads
Second most common road debris: Dead skunks. Evidently this species suffers from severe depression and is suicidal.

Interesting rock formations near Wilcox, AZ

Return trip through Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Pleased to see the snow gone.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
So . . .
What was the full route?

Sounds like you were not too far from my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TartanJack said:
So . . .What was the full route? Sounds like you were not too far from my neck of the woods.
Nortthwest CT > Winchester, VA > Lenoir, NC > Nashville, TN > Memphis, TN > Dallas, TX > Van Horn, TX > Maricopa, AZ

Maricopa, AZ > Van Horn, TX > Poteet, TX > Houston, TX > Lafayette, LA > Montgomery, AL > Atlanta, GA > Cleveland, TN > Lenoir, NC > Carlisle, PA > Northwest, CT

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.