Scion XB Forum banner

21 - 40 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
going to pick up a roof rack, as well as a FAB back bumper and side skirts this weekend. pics soon! Are fairings pretty universal? it doesn't come with one, and I would really like one.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I am presently running either naked or w/ the Yakima bars, the "basketcase" offset to the drivers side happens to center EXACTLY on my black stripe), and the fairing(s).
I got both the new-style 50" and the "old-style" box shape. I randomly put BOTH on together. Looks interesting . . .
Been on there a couple weeks.

W/ the rack on, the fuel economy isn't as good, to I try to remember to remove it for long trips I don't plan to use it.
W/ it on, though, the carrying capacity is significantly expanded. Last week, my fam traveled to Myrtle Beach (about 3.5-4 hours for us). My wife actually pushed to take Firefly over her Dodge Caravan. We have 3 kids, one of which is in a car seat and the other 2 are under 10. Everything fit fine for a week. The main thing on the roof was only an inflatable mattress and the baby's portable crib. All else for a family was inside. So much came with us in the B that we maxed-out one of those hotel carts.

My wife loved it so much that she kept "stealing" Firefly all week, taking it on FOUR trips in the week since- to Clemson, Atlanta, and the North Carolina mountains twice.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I picked up this Inno roof rack, for $175. Getting a Thule fairing thursday for about 50!

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The Yakima new-design fairing has four clips/supports that tie the firing to the bar. Those sit on the roof (at the bottom of the fairing brackets) on the roof.
For all Yakima stuff, the instructions are downloadable from their sight. The fairing is here:
Yakima Shop Rack Systems Accessories 50" Fairing
You want a 50" on an xB and the instructions are the last red tab on the right. Click on it to see a link to a download. Those are pretty detailed.

Phobic's lower fairing is the one stickerbombed. The basket has it's own fairing on its front. So, his rack has 2 fairings.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Tartan, what basket do you have on your rack? I'm looking at getting a basket for my rack.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I've got the "cheap" Basketcase one, set between the bars. It is lighter, but less versatile than the LoadWarrior or MegaWarrior.
Still, they are all three rated at the exact same max-weight, 165 pounds total (basket itself, plus content).
The major deficit of the Basketcase is that its sides are "weaker" than the others, so you can't put the heavy stuff (like bikes, boards, boats, and the like) on the basket edges above the bars. The other 2 CAN hold them just as the bars themselves can. The 2 bigger ones are big bar frames in 2 different sizes, while the Basketcase is a coated "wire" basket (uses smaller metal framework).

I chose this one b/c it will sit low and out-of-the-wind, for "normal" empty operation.
Baskets-> Yakima Shop Cargo Gear Baskets
(Also, I just noticed that the prices went up in the last few months. The Basketcase is now listed at $10 more now.)

·
Registered
783 Posts
how it sits low, and under the fairing, is what attracted me to it. if you ever want to sell yours. let me know :)

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
They are easy to find. Look on ebay or your local surf, hiking, boating, biking, or other outdoor outfitters. Anywhere that carries Yakima can get one. Most are lost price, but some are a tad cheaper.
I, personally, got accessories from Half-Moon Outfitters (several storefronts in South Carolina) and Ebay. I saw stuff at many other sport-specific "outdoors" shops in both the mountains and on the coast.

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Good to hear! Inno makes a good one.

21 - 40 of 171 Posts