Scion XB Forum banner
141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Roof racks are often installed for purely cosmetic reason, same as many who install the plastic vent things around the windows.

As I don't really ski or snowboard, I don't have any shots of that. But, I do use mine for a cargo box, one of a couple cargo baskets, bikes, bellyboards/boogie boards, wood, furniture, Christmas trees, and actually more than I expected I would use it for.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yup. Snowboards are a natural thing to put up on the rack. I'm going to put my longboards up there if I ever get that carrier. Because if I want to stack up all my toys, I should be allowed to. :p

Roof rack is awesome for aesthetics and for practicality. The practicality matches the box and it gives it a little more utility. It also gives you something to grab onto if you want to hoist yourself into the door frame to get above the car for any reason. It's STURDY. You could probably pick the car up by the rack, except the bolt would eventually snap. I don't know. Something would snap.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am starting to consider getting a roof rack, strictly for bike use. With me the wife and the kids all owning bikes soon, I would like to be able to take all of them. Right now I only need three on top, my son only has the small toddler bike which would fit in the back. I am just not sure how much I wanna spend or willing to spend to get one.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 · (Edited)
When on vaca to the beach (FIVE people in the B) this summer
Brought 1 clothing bag, plus one "play" bag, per person, beach bag w/ blanket, towels, goggles, floaty-stuff, etc) stroller, 3 boogie boards, 4 bikes, and a decent amount of food.
Carried inside the B (people, food, and some personal bags),
cargo box (rest of bags, beach bag, etc.)
Hitch-mounted bike carrier (3 bikes, one with attached child-carrier
On rack, exposed- 3 boards, 1 bike
All my accessory-cargo stuff was put-to-use. If I wanted, I probably could have mounted the basket (w/ overhang) and carried more, but trying to limit the inherent drag.

With all that, I got 23-24 MPG at 75-ish MPH, when travelling. Not bad!

I even got a few "cool cars" and a "holy crap! All that fit in & on that little car!"

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Yup. Snowboards are a natural thing to put up on the rack. I'm going to put my longboards up there if I ever get that carrier. Because if I want to stack up all my toys, I should be allowed to. :p

Roof rack is awesome for aesthetics and for practicality. The practicality matches the box and it gives it a little more utility. It also gives you something to grab onto if you want to hoist yourself into the door frame to get above the car for any reason. It's STURDY. You could probably pick the car up by the rack, except the bolt would eventually snap. I don't know. Something would snap.
I actually carried a 68 vintage Hobie longboard and a 1974 Hansen "short board (still over 7') to/at the 2013 Sanitarium show. They rode along just fine (and I managed to bag 3 trophies, inc. Dealer's Choice) for a beat-up and well used B, & a cheap car seat, with a skunk sitting in it, included)!
Idiot me didn't think to take any good shots of the display . . .

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 · (Edited)
Here's me getting ready for Sanitarium (& showing some of the bellyboards I have). The Longboard is on the B, while the Hansen is sitting on the Miata.

The old boards belong to my neighbor, who is one of the "old school" surfers from "back-in-the-day" when there were only a handful in the Carolinas (and they all knew each other). The small ones are mine. I am, slowly, making some paipo board, myself, out of pine.

·
Registered
661 Posts
When on vaca to the beach (FIVE people in the B) this summer
Brought 1 clothing bag, plus one "play" bag, per person, beach bag w/ blanket, towels, goggles, floaty-stuff, etc) stroller, 3 boogie boards, 4 bikes, and a decent amount of food.
Carried inside the B (people, food, and some personal bags),
cargo box (rest of bags, beach bag, etc.)
Hitch-mounted bike carrier (3 bikes, one with attached child-carrier
On rack, exposed- 3 boards, 1 bike
All my accessory-cargo stuff was put-to-use. If I wanted, I probably could have mounted the basket (w/ overhang) and carried more, but trying to limit the inherent drag.

With all that, I got 23-24 MPG at 75-ish MPH, when travelling. Not bad!

I even got a few "cool cars" and a "holy crap! All that fit in & on that little car!"
B8g reason I love this car right there. My do all too.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Here's me getting ready for Sanitarium (& showing some of the bellyboards I have). The Longboard is on the B, while the Hansen is sitting on the Miata.

The old boards belong to my neighbor, who is one of the "old school" surfers from "back-in-the-day" when there were only a handful in the Carolinas (and they all knew each other). The small ones are mine. I am, slowly, making some paipo board, myself, out of pine.
Paipo board -- nice. I used to do a lot of wood working, I loved it. A board (or precut) would be a good project for me but I'm relatively new to board sports. I've snowboarded once. Longboarding is my favorite but it is a very painful hobby. :)

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 · (Edited)
An older shot, I've made SOME progress since then, esp. on the 4' tapered one and the 6' one.
From my research, many originals were made from "exotic" (to Hawaii at least) white pine, which was both strong, flexible, and bouyant. It just needs to be VERY well sealed. None/very few have survived as they were worn to nothing, then used as firewood. One source I read said the paipo and alaiah (sp? right now) were primarily pine, with only some redwood and other woods reserved for formal boards and olo. The implication was that "everyday" pine boards were the preferred. That shocked me (esp. as pine is, by FAR, the easiest wood for me to get where I am-as it grows everywhere-> I basically live in a pine forest). I will need to varnish the heck out of them. The originals used spar varnish.
If I recall correctly, the Hawaiian pine came from ship cast offs (masts, spars, and hull parts), as pine isn't native to the islands.

My long-term goal is to carry a couple paipo I have made at shows, plus use them for bellyboarding on the Carolina coast (Carolina boards, made of Carolina pine, used on Carolina beaches).
This reminds me . . . GET TO WORK! Now, where did I put my hand-planner?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Hahahahah

As we drive "Made in Japan" Utility Sports Boxes . . .

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 · (Edited)
As mentioned above, here are the shots from our vacation this summer to Hilton Head:
4 bike, 3 bodyboards, 5 people, all their luggage, for a WEEK vacation

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking at picking up a roof rack in the near future. I'll be buying a Rhino-Rack I get a fairly nice discount on their products. With the baskets aside from too big for the roof is going as large as affordable the preferred method or is there a preferred size?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Anyone know how much mpg you lose from having the rack with the fairing without gear loaded on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

141 - 160 of 172 Posts