Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just got an '08 Naut. blue xb, that I overall love, except the ride isn't great. I had driven a new one but decided to go with a used to save some $$. But after driving for a few days I'm finding the ride pretty harsh over bumps, and I'm kind of hating it! Upon closer look underneath I realized it has some Hotchkis sport sway bars and/or suspension, which I didn't realize were on there when I bought it from the Toyota/Scion dealer.

Maybe this will sound crazy to everyone, but I'd much rather go back to the stock suspension if it would make a big difference in the ride quality. Any thoughts, would doing something like this help, and would it be expensive? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you are going to hear from a whole bunch of people about your ride quality. From what I've read, lowering the car and adding sway bars improves the ride. the answers you get should be interesting.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have the stock suspension and I think that the ride is harsh, but it's a small car. Have you checked your air pressure? How many miles on the car? If the tires are wearing down that leaves little rubber to cushion the blows of the road. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. My XB has less than 7k miles, so it's practically new. Checked the air pressure and it's set at what the manual advises, and tires are in good shape. I have to figure out exactly what after market I have going on under the car, not sure if it's a whole sport suspension kit, or just sway bars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You say the tire pressure matches what the "manual"calls for.
Being that the vehicle is a used car at this point, I would not refer to the manual for specs- check the actual tires at this point.
You don't know weather or not these are the factory tires so they could possibly call for a different tire pressure.
I had a friend's daughter bring her car over to me to do a brake job on it, as she was picking the car up I was checking the T.P. because they looked terribly low.
They were...about 20 pounds low in every tire.
I asked her about it and she told me her boyfriend did that- he works at tires plus(for whatever that's worth) and said that was where they were supposed to be because he checked the tag on the door...Knucklehead! The aftermarket tires and wheels are nowhere near what the OEM tires were at.
I'm just sayin'...

G

·
Nice to see another NBM 08 XB like myself and eric drive (among others).

Welcome to NSXB!

When you drove the new one was the ride better compared to your used one? From experience when I ride in lower cars they are a little more bouncy and responsive compared to a stock car but thats just me. I cant speak from experience with the xb though. And if your looking to sell your Hotchkis stuff let me know :D.

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
Sway bars alone shouldn't make the ride harsh, but performance springs/shocks can. I'd like the back end of my xB to be lower, but don't want to ruin the ride, so I hesitate to mess with the suspension.

I'd take your xB back to the dealer and have them put it up on a lift and tell you exactly what you have. I find the stock ride to be quite comfortable...but my other ride is a 13 year-old truck. If you're used to a Lexus, the ride may be harsh by comparison.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The salesman told me that the lowering springs would make the ride rougher (even thoufg is supposed to sale you eveything in the book). That is why I didn't buy them and have them installed when I bought the car. There are still a lot of mixed reviews on that subject. I would like to bring my back end down a some, but I like the ride as is. Compared to my old Explorer the ride is great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm setting up an appointment with the dealer to tell me exactly what I've got. As far as I can tell it's only a rear Hotchkis sway bar that's been added, not front & rear, and not a full suspension set as it looks like stock toyota parts. But I'm no expert so I'll wait to hear what dealer says. From my research it sounds like it's not the best idea to add JUST a rear sway bar, unless it's TRD, better to add as a set. Could that be why this ride seems so harsh?

As for the tires, not sure what the stock tires are, but it came with 16" Goodyear Eagle RSA's, with a max recommended pressure of 44psi. I'm running them at manual spec right now which is about 35 front / 32 rear. The ride did seemed less harsh when i test drove the stock new xb, but maybe i didn't hit the right bumps. Mine has a sort of a clunky, bottoming out feeling, but only on certain bumps. Otherwise it's pretty smooth. I bought it as a 'certified' Scion, for what that is worth, so it's supposed to have passed all inspections for problems. ;)

will keep you posted on what i find out..thanks for all the help again.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If it comes down to it, I have my stock springs and front sway bars! I'm down for some trading!!! ;)

Wait... I already have the Hotchkis setup. I don't think it rides harsh at all. But then again, my last vehicle was a 91 S-10 with heated and collapsed front coils and 2 out of the 3 leafs in the rear... I call it my "econo-drop". :rofl:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Good luck in getting to the root of the problem.

I had full stock suspension for about a month, while waiting for my TRD goodies. The ride was fine and not harsh at all. I could feel the body roll a little when cornering harder, but that was about it.

Now that I have full TRD suspension (struts, springs, anti-sway, brace, etc.), the car is great. I would not say the ride is harsh at all (but the roads where I live are pretty decent). Once in awhile, I'll take a hard hitting pothole or something similar, but the ride is great. My senior citizen parents have zero complaints and have expressed interest in buying an xB of their own someday. They had no idea that the car was lowered or that the ride was anything other than stock. ;)

Got a picture of your car? Like a side profile shot? It would be pretty obvious to most folks on this forum if you car was indeed lowered than stock.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hey Quack. I love the bike. What is it? I scoot around on a CBR929rr.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks Gr8, it's a 2002 Honda RC51. I feel very fortunate to have a nicely done up xB and a hard charging RC51. Keep it shiny side up!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've heard that the Hotchkis springs are a little more rough than the TRD springs because the TRD springs are progressive rate. So when your just driving around normally you don't get the rough ride of other suspension setups but once you really get into it the springs stiffen right up. I have TRD Strut Brace, TRD Springs, and Hotchkis Front/Rear sway set and my ride is not bad at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.