Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

I bought my SW in October of last year. When I brought it home it had some rust colored spots all over it. Small spots...about the side of the tip of a ballpoint...most of them were smaller. I assumed it was just rail dust and clay bared and waxed it.

The spots have now come back!!! With a vengeance!!! Do you think it may be something other than rail dust? Would my best bet be to buff it and then wax??

This is really pissing me off...I should have taken it back to the dealership but had a VERY BAD experience with them and will never step foot in the door of that place again!!

TIA!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just a question, do you live or work by a railroad? I would believe that the small rust colored spots are caused by the micro metal shavings floating in the air and sticking to the paint again. I know what you are saying when it comes to dealing with some dealerships as they can make a small problem, a big problem. I would try claying again, if they come back, take a deep breath and talk to the dealer.

I just washed my BSP and was very surprised how much stuff is sticking to the paint on the lower portion of the car. Since my Scion is BSP you can only feel the crud and not see it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not for nothing, I thought I was the only one with the "rust like" spots on the super white. I live in NYC and have no choice but to use a automatic car wash. Spoke to the car wash's owner and he suggested clay, but judging from your experience, that's not the answer. I REALLY like my super white but these spots have be wondering if this was the color to get. Any SW owners also experiencing this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I get spots on mine...but decided to just suck it up and clay bar. FYI - My xb is garaged at home and in a parking garage at work.

·
Registered
528 Posts
To my understanding, and what I've read, the red spots are from rail dust from out xB's being transported via rail. There's ways to neutralize the spots, but I've clay barred with decent results. It takes a while, but it's worth it.
There's products out that are made for this specific application.

·
Registered
240 Posts
TunerChick said:
Hey guys...

I bought my SW in October of last year. When I brought it home it had some rust colored spots all over it. Small spots...about the side of the tip of a ballpoint...most of them were smaller. I assumed it was just rail dust and clay bared and waxed it.

The spots have now come back!!! With a vengeance!!! Do you think it may be something other than rail dust? Would my best bet be to buff it and then wax??

This is really pissing me off...I should have taken it back to the dealership but had a VERY BAD experience with them and will never step foot in the door of that place again!!

TIA!
Do you have photos?

·
Registered
124 Posts
on my sw i get water marks near my door handles from where like rain runs down it. It sucks i am not a fan lol and i live in pa so the salt is bad enough :sick:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rail dust, metal from brakes, all of these things contribute. Clay bar, wax regularly, wash regularly.
One of the hazards of white cars (especially in the north)
Bob (many years in the car biz)

09 Silver Xb
Appleton, WI

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rail dust, just learn to live with it! It's common on a lot of cars, the white kinda magnifies it.
I get it regularly on my white suburban too.
Just keep up on the clay bar and wax.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My daughters SW has the same problem. We used Bug and Tar Remover and that did remove the marks. Time will tell if they come back!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Use clay bars to remove them and then apply a good coat of wax.That should eliminate those spots. Have fun

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same issue on my SW. Rail dust is the only thing I can think of. I have clay bar'ed it twice now and they still seem to hang around. Nothing like washing the car by hand, only to find rail dust and rock chips in the paint. :( Has anyone talked to the dealership about the rail dust issue?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had a white car in the past and I too would get Fall out it would spot like you guys are saying. Just had to rub it out (way before clay bars) and wax real good.

·
Registered
781 Posts
TunerChick said:
Hey guys...

TIA!
I also get "rust" colored spots on my SW, but it's clear they have nothing to do with rust. I don't know what causes them to appear, but it's clearly something to do with road or plant born garbage and I find they reliably succumb to Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover -- just takes some elbow grease. My experience is the paint is intact, you just need to remove the crap that's managed to attach itself to your car's finish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts