Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I was wondering what you recommend in considering a brand new xB vs a used xB. From some searching I have done, it seems that used ones arent much cheaper than a New one.

I know that with some cars a used certified gives you a longer warranty than the original one. I'm not sure how much that plays a role here.

Thanks.

· Registered
133 Posts
Cebo,
I bought a new 2012 for about $2000 more than I could buy a used 2011 with 7500 miles. But I had to have white & manual trans. Now that I have installed the TRD quick shifter there is no way I buy a auto.

The pure price stuff doesn't hold true. Some dealers will deal but they won't tell you up front and they have to get approval from Scion to discount all their stock.

Send me a PM I can tell you where I bought my 2012 at a discount.

AZ

· Premium Member
2,527 Posts
I bought a 2009 Scion xB, black, with about 25000 on it in 2010. I, stupidly, didnt do my research to learn that you are in fact correct. I could have gotten a new one for about 2K more! turns on my black box had an issue with water leaking into the fuse box, I got rid of that, ate about 4K on the deal too, maybe more, and got a brand new 2010 white xB with 4 miles on it.

My loan ended up being about 21K since I could only trade in the 2009 for about 12K and the new one was 18 and I had about 4-5 k left on the loan and I also put down about 3K.

that being said, I love used cars. this is the only time Ive had a bad experience with one and it's because I went somewhere that I didnt know. I was excited like a 5 year old on xmas cause I found an automatic black xB and I had to have it. I rushed it. Whatever you do, don't rush it. It's a huge purchase and you don't want to regret going used when you could have gotten new, plus free maintenance, plus other incentives when going new, for only a few thousand more.

just my experience dude. If I could go back, I woulda got new the first time. If Im buying another used car, its gonna be at least 7 or 8 years old and under 10K to make it worth my while.

· Registered
39 Posts
I bought my 2012 white xB in dec 2011 and the 2011's they had were about the exact same price as the 2012. Both new. I live in canada and caise scion is pretty new to canada there is very few used Up here unless they came from down there. Don't know how much that makes a diff. I seen the showroom model with the roof, spoiler and mirrors all carbon fiber vinyled and had to have it.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
First, figure out your EXACT ideal xB.
That includes features and details, like which nose/rear bumper you prefer. Then, look at used and see how many of those things you can find pre-installed. If you can find a perfect or near perfect example, it can save you thousands in future mod expenses.
A stock used and a stock new aren't that different in price, though a low miles 08 compared to a new 12 are different enough in price to make a difference to a tighter budget. But, if the used one has most of what you want to do to yours in the near future, you are most of the way there for less than a stock, plain new one.

· Registered
559 Posts
I bought mine used. it was certified and I worked at the dealer so I had my tech friends tell me the truth. it only had 19k and was a socal car so I know it was in good shape. I got the "employee" discount as well as he paid off my trade in which I was eager to get out from under. it was more of a financial decision that want but I really like the car. no issues and it renewed my thoughts on buying used. I got it for a sweet deal I thought at least. was 16k and put 4k down so I'm really happy.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First Off- BIg thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your experiences with me. I really appreciate that. The members on this site have been very friendly and helpful.

Cebo,
I bought a new 2012 for about $2000 more than I could buy a used 2011 with 7500 miles. But I had to have white & manual trans. Now that I have installed the TRD quick shifter there is no way I buy a auto.

The pure price stuff doesn't hold true. Some dealers will deal but they won't tell you up front and they have to get approval from Scion to discount all their stock.

Send me a PM I can tell you where I bought my 2012 at a discount.

AZ
cool. glad you love the manual. i would go that route , if it wasn't that my wife will need to drive the car on occasion, and she doesn't know how to drive one. (yeah go figure right) lol

I was wondering how firm they are on their "pure price". The 2012 i tested was automatic at around 18.5k.

I bought a 2009 Scion xB, black, with about 25000 on it in 2010. I, stupidly, didnt do my research to learn that you are in fact correct. I could have gotten a new one for about 2K more! turns on my black box had an issue with water leaking into the fuse box, I got rid of that, ate about 4K on the deal too, maybe more, and got a brand new 2010 white xB with 4 miles on it.

My loan ended up being about 21K since I could only trade in the 2009 for about 12K and the new one was 18 and I had about 4-5 k left on the loan and I also put down about 3K.

that being said, I love used cars. this is the only time Ive had a bad experience with one and it's because I went somewhere that I didnt know. I was excited like a 5 year old on xmas cause I found an automatic black xB and I had to have it. I rushed it. Whatever you do, don't rush it. It's a huge purchase and you don't want to regret going used when you could have gotten new, plus free maintenance, plus other incentives when going new, for only a few thousand more.

just my experience dude. If I could go back, I woulda got new the first time. If Im buying another used car, its gonna be at least 7 or 8 years old and under 10K to make it worth my while.
I hear ya phobic. ... I have bought and sold many cars in my young 31 years. and i usually do pretty good at getting a good quality car at a great deal, this helps not to get too upside down. but i have learned from a couple of bad moves over the years. I haven't bought new, but have bought 1 truck with 5k miles, and another car with 15k miles. so pretty new.

i agree with your advise. i don't want to rush my decision. i am not in a huge hurry. i have a vehicle that runs fine. and i only live 3 blocks from my job. ... this is actually my 2nd time being interested in the XB in the past 2 years. I looked into other cars, but something keeps bringing my back to the scion xb.

I bought my 2012 white xB in dec 2011 and the 2011's they had were about the exact same price as the 2012. Both new. I live in canada and caise scion is pretty new to canada there is very few used Up here unless they came from down there. Don't know how much that makes a diff. I seen the showroom model with the roof, spoiler and mirrors all carbon fiber vinyled and had to have it.
Impulsefusion, glad you found the car you wanted and went for it. gotta admit that exact setup sounds very cool. though i am not a big fan of white. but not totally against it. i have had a white car , a couple cars ago. stayed very clean looking.

First, figure out your EXACT ideal xB.
That includes features and details, like which nose/rear bumper you prefer. Then, look at used and see how many of those things you can find pre-installed. If you can find a perfect or near perfect example, it can save you thousands in future mod expenses.
A stock used and a stock new aren't that different in price, though a low miles 08 compared to a new 12 are different enough in price to make a difference to a tighter budget. But, if the used one has most of what you want to do to yours in the near future, you are most of the way there for less than a stock, plain new one.
Thanks for the advise TJ!
I think i want :
Auto Trans
color (1. silver, black, dark grey, blue, white) in that order
rear spoiler
i would like the TRD 18 or 19s (or a wheel similar)
---actually would like it to be like the one up in the sites avatar, but maybe not lowered to start.
thats really the main stuff, ofcourse i would look at mods later (intake, etc)
****But i do want telescoping tilt wheel. the 2012 i test drove had that. from what i have read 08-10 doesnt have that, so that might put those out of the running ???

I bought mine used. it was certified and I worked at the dealer so I had my tech friends tell me the truth. it only had 19k and was a socal car so I know it was in good shape. I got the "employee" discount as well as he paid off my trade in which I was eager to get out from under. it was more of a financial decision that want but I really like the car. no issues and it renewed my thoughts on buying used. I got it for a sweet deal I thought at least. was 16k and put 4k down so I'm really happy.
Thanks Sam. i like your cars setup, as i meantioned before probably. and sounds like you got a great deal. i have bought a car for a financial decision in a similar matter before. ... i am somewhat opened to the right used deal, but like having a few years of free maintenance , especially with the synthetic only oil.

But isn't certified scion xb's a good deal. don't you get like up to 100k miles or 7 years powertrain... included in the used price?

I am also considering leasing a new one. it seems like a great deal that way too. (i have never leased a vehicle, but always thought it was a good idea, considering i like to change cars every 2-3 years).

Thanks again everyone! :)

· Registered
846 Posts
Cebo,before you think about leasing,read the fine print. It usually limits mileage over the lease period and adds cents per mile over that (it can really add up). Also when it is time to end the lease, the condition of the car has to be almost prestine. Any dent,scar,stain,dimple will cost to repair. The definition of "normal wear" has to be defined. So, if you are comfortable with the agreement,go ahead and get it. Just say'in.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
****But i do want telescoping tilt wheel. the 2012 i test drove had that. from what i have read 08-10 doesnt have that, so that might put those out of the running ???
Correct. I have a 2011. The 2011-2012 models have telescope/tilt wheel, which the 2008-2010 models do not have. For some people it makes a huge difference. The lack of such a wheel was noted by a number of professional auto reviewers who moaned about it early on (maybe that's why Scion added it on as part of the 2011 refresh).

Another change made at the 2011 refresh is the updated nose and tail. The new nose has a smaller top grill and larger side "gills". The lower grill opening also changes. The bumper contours and headlights change slightly. All this means fewer choices for aftermarket grills and aftermarket body kits, although the choices are slowly improving with time. Some people don't like the larger side gills (I actually like them). In the rear, the single backup light was split into 2 and integrated into the tail lights. Twin reflectors mounted down low (they are seen sooner/better since they lower) instead of in the taillights. Amber turn signals replaced the red ones (they are amber bulbs hidden inside the white backup lens). I like the new rear better than the old. Looks clean, and the amber turn signals are more easily seen/noticed by other drivers.

Cosmetic changes inside: clock and outside temp display replaces the coolant gauge and instead, idiot lights denote Too Cold and Too Hot. (My biggest complaint, but I should mention that some 2008-2010 owners complain about having to push their multi-display button to cycle from MPG to clock.) Silver trim around the gauge cluster is reduced to silver rings around the gauge faces.

The seats have been recontoured and have new fabrics. The driver's-only armrest is replaced with a sliding armrest console cover wide enough for driver and passenger. The tray under the rear seat disappears and instead the area is covered only by carpet.

The radio changes from year to year. My 2011 has a subwoofer/external amp output. The 2012 model add Bluetooth and HD radio. Many (all?) of the radios have a USB input, that is a HUGE plus as I can carry a lot of tunes on a USB memory stick.

Have fun shopping!

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cebo,before you think about leasing,read the fine print. It usually limits mileage over the lease period and adds cents per mile over that (it can really add up). Also when it is time to end the lease, the condition of the car has to be almost prestine. Any dent,scar,stain,dimple will cost to repair. The definition of "normal wear" has to be defined. So, if you are comfortable with the agreement,go ahead and get it. Just say'in.
Good points Dale. well as far as the mileage goes, I don't drive very much. i work 3 blocks away from my apartment. I take one or two long trips a year. so my mileage is probably only around 3-5k miles per year. Hopefully I will drive more once i get my new car. ..... now as far as dents,dimples, stains, etc.; i do have concerns there. because sometimes i may get a door ding or something that i don't feel like is enough to envolve insurance . so allthough it pisses me off when nics , stracthes, etc happen, i just have to live with them to an extent. But when i return the car they me be more stringent. But hopefully i will love the car, and buy it when the lease is up.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correct. I have a 2011. The 2011-2012 models have telescope/tilt wheel, which the 2008-2010 models do not have. For some people it makes a huge difference. The lack of such a wheel was noted by a number of professional auto reviewers who moaned about it early on (maybe that's why Scion added it on as part of the 2011 refresh).

Another change made at the 2011 refresh is the updated nose and tail. The new nose has a smaller top grill and larger side "gills". The lower grill opening also changes. The bumper contours and headlights change slightly. All this means fewer choices for aftermarket grills and aftermarket body kits, although the choices are slowly improving with time. Some people don't like the larger side gills (I actually like them). In the rear, the single backup light was split into 2 and integrated into the tail lights. Twin reflectors mounted down low (they are seen sooner/better since they lower) instead of in the taillights. Amber turn signals replaced the red ones (they are amber bulbs hidden inside the white backup lens). I like the new rear better than the old. Looks clean, and the amber turn signals are more easily seen/noticed by other drivers.

Cosmetic changes inside: clock and outside temp display replaces the coolant gauge and instead, idiot lights denote Too Cold and Too Hot. (My biggest complaint, but I should mention that some 2008-2010 owners complain about having to push their multi-display button to cycle from MPG to clock.) Silver trim around the gauge cluster is reduced to silver rings around the gauge faces.

The seats have been recontoured and have new fabrics. The driver's-only armrest is replaced with a sliding armrest console cover wide enough for driver and passenger. The tray under the rear seat disappears and instead the area is covered only by carpet.

The radio changes from year to year. My 2011 has a subwoofer/external amp output. The 2012 model add Bluetooth and HD radio. Many (all?) of the radios have a USB input, that is a HUGE plus as I can carry a lot of tunes on a USB memory stick.

Have fun shopping!
Thanks alot BP. very helpful info.

I think the telescoping wheel would be important to me. During my test drive of the 2012, that was the first thing i messed with. Also I think the arm rest would be very important to me (though there probably is an aftermarket one that could be used?) .... ... I think i do like the suttle body changes and rear lights on the newer ones; but not a deal braker at all. I think i will need to test a used 08-2010 model to get a feel for the arm rest and non telescoping wheel.

Does anyone know if there is any options to overcome the lack of telescoping wheel?

And can someone tell me if the lack of the tele wheel effects them much? (especially for bigger drivers)

Thank you!

· Registered
846 Posts
Cebo, I'm glad you recognize the points about a lease. Now about the dents,etc., I just had a dent removed over the front wheel flair,done by a "dent doctor", paintless dent removal.
It took ~1hr.and cost ~$100. The guy did a great job-can't even see the bubu. I didn't even think of putting in a claim to the ins. co. Number one, my deduction is too high,#2,in the past,when a claim is submitted,my rates went up. So the fix I had done was best way to go.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cebo, I'm glad you recognize the points about a lease. Now about the dents,etc., I just had a dent removed over the front wheel flair,done by a "dent doctor", paintless dent removal.
It took ~1hr.and cost ~$100. The guy did a great job-can't even see the bubu. I didn't even think of putting in a claim to the ins. co. Number one, my deduction is too high,#2,in the past,when a claim is submitted,my rates went up. So the fix I had done was best way to go.
I saw that on your thread. very cool. i'm glad it worked out for you. I used a similar guy about 5 years ago on my 05 tacoma. the go only charged me like 70 bucks ,and the dent was pretty narly. afterward you couldnt even tell anything happend. that was back in oregon. ... I need to find a guy like that here. my wife is queen of dings, she has a couple right now on her altima that needs to be touched up.

· Registered
1 Posts
If you're on a tight budget, you will prefer to buy used car. If you're thinking about buying a used vehicle, be sure to have the car carefully inspected by your mechanic to make sure it is running properly. A car that is improperly tuned or that has a bad engine or transmission will run poorly and use energy inefficiently. In case you are looking for an automobile in Atlanta, I'd suggest you go to a dealership. The car dealerships are really pleasant and welcoming. They have the knowledge to help you narrow your search just a little bit and make sure you have the right car. I personally picked a Scion as the cars are exciting and stylish. I was really glad I that I went to a car dealership to watch for my car though. You can go to Atlanta GA Scion to find a dealership.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Anthony. Your right, I will need to be super careful if I end up buying used.

I am on the coast here in california. There are a couple near by scion dealers, so I will start there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.