Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Despite past reports to the contrary, the xD and xB will live on says new Scion brand boss Doug Murtha.

Speaking with AutoGuide.com at the LA Auto Show last week, Murtha confirmed that comments that “we were sunsetting certain products,” were, “misinterpreted.”

With the usual caution that they won’t comment on future product, Murtha did remark that, “the xB will be around for a while,” and even went so far as to call it “iconic.”

As for the xD, Murtha’s predecessor Jack Hollis told AutoGuide that his hopes were for the xD to change entirely, raising the possibility that it could become an entirely different vehicle with a new badge. When asked if the new partnership between Toyota and Mazda wherein Toyota will sell a Mazda2 based car in North America could be the future of the xD, Murtha skirted the subject. It does, however, represent one possibility for the brand, which desperately needs to replace its underselling sub-compact that has already outlasted its life-cycle as it moves into its sixth year on sale.
Read the complete story and get the latest car news at AutoGuide.com

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
A Mazda-built Toyota would be interesting!
I, somehow, missed the news of Toyota and Mazda getting a relationship . . .

For those who don't know, Toyota is a VERY complex group, which a number of independent and semi-autonomous parts. Toyota Group is larger than Toyota Motor . . .
One part often makes vehicles for another. The Gen 1 xB was built by Capital Auto and the xB2 was built by Kanto Auto Works in their Iwate plant (I've been told that the newer ones are made by someone else). Recently, like in the last months, Kanto AW, Capital and a Toyota Motor Tohoku merged and became a full part of the Toyota Group, changing the name to Toyota Motor East Japan. http://www.toyota-ej.co.jp/english/company/history.html

Mazda was an independent-unto-itself entity, with a relationship with Ford, until it got itself into serious financial problems in the 1990s Japanese "Bubble Burst" and Ford stepped into buy enough to gain controlling interest in Mazda. Then, they used Mazda as practically their new-product-development arm, leading to the 6-based Fusion and 500/Taurus and 3-based Focus and a Volvo model (among others). In recent years, I've read reports of Ford offering to sell-off its interest in Mazda.
I'm now interested in looking-up how Mazda has changed.

Oh, and I LIKE the Mazda mentality. In many ways, it is the "don't tell us it can't be done" company and is always thinking outside-the-box. Even if Mazda is the smallest, by far, of the major Japanese manufacturers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Awesome industrial updates...
I also own a Mazda CX-7, boy I was disappointed to find Ford labeled parts all over it.
Specially in the engine.

Mazda should go back to build 100% Japanese built cars, like Subaru, Toyota with the Xb.
I loved it when I was buying my xB to see "100% Japanese" on the window sticker.

Thanks again, great work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very pleased to know that the xB will remain in the market. While it may not, IMHO, be genuinely iconic, it is nearly so. I absolutely love my '08 and every time I drive it I feel its attitude as I get behind the wheel.

I hope that Toyota/Scion does some soul-searching as to how to properly position the car. Yes, it is filled with attitude and the market position to younger buyers isn't bad, but the appeal to the more mature buyer is undeniable and it is foolish of them to ignore or undersell to that segment. A buyers age doesn't automatically correlate to disinterest in smart style. The utility and accessibility of the design is second to few if any, and that only enhances its appeal across the entire buying spectrum. KIA did a great job of ripping the soul of the xB into the Soul and marketing it more successfully. The Soul's appeal, aside from its overstated gas mileage, is to me, utility along with snappy box design, which the xB does better. The success of the Soul shows that Toyota has dropped the ball with the xB to this point. xB sales should have been ramping up rather than down.

The xB feature set is rich enough that any user can find comfort in the ownership experience without having to bear the burden of increased cost and more tech-drek offered in more "upscale" models. Not everyone wants to pay 33K for a RAV.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Having the 2012 xB's, I may go trade one of them on a 2013..... Just to have the latest version.... I'm kinda looking for the release model to see which happens. (I would love it to be the Pearl white they did on the xD last year!!!)

Stay tuned for more adventures.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, this is great news. Hopefully Scion will take the next step and give the XB that update it truly needs to stay competitive and relevant.

It needs the updated 6 speed tranny and 4 banger from the Camry.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, this is great news. Hopefully Scion will take the next step and give the XB that update it truly needs to stay competitive and relevant.

It needs the updated 6 speed tranny and 4 banger from the Camry.
If I'm not mistaken, the 2.4 liter engine is the 2000 Camry engine...... I could be wrong, but I do believe that's it. (Looks the same for sure, having traded in a 2000 Camry for our first xB..... popped both hoods and took a look,..... VERY NEARLY the same shape and size and all..... only a few things different, but mostly cosmetic and power steering stuff.

I do like the OD transmission idea though. Don't know if putting more engine in would change a thing...... unless you are looking for an xB GT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the 2.4 liter engine is the 2000 Camry engine...... I could be wrong, but I do believe that's it. (Looks the same for sure, having traded in a 2000 Camry for our first xB..... popped both hoods and took a look,..... VERY NEARLY the same shape and size and all..... only a few things different, but mostly cosmetic and power steering stuff.

I do like the OD transmission idea though. Don't know if putting more engine in would change a thing...... unless you are looking for an xB GT.

Yes, but you kinda answered my own question. The power plant is 12 years old, it needs an update.

The newer 2.5 (178 HP) and the 6 speed would be nice though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes, but you kinda answered my own question. The power plant is 12 years old, it needs an update.

The newer 2.5 (178 HP) and the 6 speed would be nice though.
The old Camry engine is a Mule, and it's very peppy. Even in the old camry it was GOLD..... I love the fact they're using something they consider "bulletproof".

Again.... What do you need more power for, in a Car with "BRICKLIKE AERODYNAMICS"? That is supposed to be a Great UTE,.... not a Sports car.(sorry for the caps.... it just happened that way...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.