Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen from several sources that the xb is 4th and the tc is second in the cars most likely to get tickets. They also listed the hummer. I have no idea where they get thier so called facts but thier is NO Way it can be true. How does a vehicle like the hummer that has limited production numbers get more tickets than a ford or chevy pickup that have ten times as many on the road. Actually the ratio should be much more.

People write crap on the internet then other people recite it and the next thing you know its a fact. Like the pop rocks blowing up in a kids stomach because he swallowed ten paks at once. Its just stupid.

As for the stats I have logic on my side as arguements go.

1 If all things were equal as in sales numbers it would be possible that an unusual looking vehicle might attract more attention like the box and the hummer.

2 I live in Houston and I see lots of Hummers but I have never seen one pulled over.

3 The idea that the Tc and Xb are kids cars. Well, The tc to me looks like several dozen other cars from a distance so it would be unusual to see more of them singled out. The XB as a kid car is a joke. Im 50 and I smile when I see another Xb on the road. WHen I pull up next to it I see mom and the kids or another old fart like me. I did meet a youngster at a gas station who was driving a box and his dad was with him.

4 I have yet to see an XB with the custom exhaust blowing by me on the freeway. I have 8K miles on mine in three months so im on the road alot and the facts dont fit with the press releases.

NOTE: I see the response below and they do not make it clear that it is by percentage. If you had one guy driving a strech Mini and he got lots of tickets then the stats would show that it is a high risk car. As for the driving I have cruised in mine and I know like any other car you can get into trouble. It runs quite well in the mid 80's but the fuel economy is poor. I will admit that Im an ex traffic cop and I have been known to have a heavy foot but mos tof the time Im a mellow fellow. I blame it on the long strech of I-10 from Baton Rouge to Lake Charles.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The studies refer to an average rate and not a total number of tickets throughout the United States, not just Houston. The articles also refer to moving violations, not just speeding tickets. Scions, for example, are probably more likely to be modified and as you know many modifications are not street legal in many states. The few number of vehicles produced per model may actually aid in the averages being swayed. As for the age factor, I'm sure the Scion models have an overall lower average age than the models listed on the list of vehicles to get the least tickets (i.e. Buick Park Avenue, Oldsmobile Silhouette minivan, Buick Lucerne, etc.)

Just because you don't fit in a certain demographic doesn't mean that that demographic doesn't affect a study, especially when you're looking at millions of vehicles. And, remember, logic, like in many things, may not apply... ;)

Here's a link to one article about this topic:
http://scionnews.net/2009/01/15/scion-tc-xb-2nd-3rd-for-tickets/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Please list at least ONE source.

Wasn't in a scion.. but he was shopping one at the time.
A friend of mine got pulled over for loud muffler, got 19 tickets. got 1 ticket for each window with tint on it... not 5 counts 5 separate pieces of paper. It was quite a site to see. When he complained, the cop put him in the back of the car for being belligerent.... the guy was a teddy bear.
Ticket for tires, wheels, and suspension, then a separate ticket for not having a recon sticker. A few others...
Probably that kind of thing the article was talking about if it was based on any reality at all.
I've been pulled over a few times in the last few years. Have 30k on the xb.. maybe 3 total on my other cars .. never got pulled over in the XB. BS.. Don't believe everything that you read.. etc. You're more at risk from smoking or changing CDs than you are from talking on the cell phone in your car.. but what do the idiots spend your tax money on?

Oh yea.. at the same time, my friends and I have a "rule" TC drivers drive like maniac kids. Weaving, tailgating, running lights, speeding.. you name it. i always point it out to my passengers.. "look a TC.. lets count the violations".

Eric said:
The studies refer to an average rate and not a total number of tickets throughout the United States, not just Houston. The articles also refer to moving violations, not just speeding tickets. Scions, for example, are probably more likely to be modified and as you know many modifications are not street legal in many states. The few number of vehicles produced per model may actually aid in the averages being swayed. As for the age factor, I'm sure the Scion models have an overall lower average age than the models listed on the list of vehicles to get the least tickets (i.e. Buick Park Avenue, Oldsmobile Silhouette minivan, Buick Lucerne, etc.)

Just because you don't fit in a certain demographic doesn't mean that that demographic doesn't affect a study, especially when you're looking at millions of vehicles. And, remember, logic, like in many things, may not apply... ;)

Here's a link to one article about this topic:
http://scionnews.net/2009/01/15/scion-tc-xb-2nd-3rd-for-tickets/

·
Registered
7 Posts
also...

Who cares. I don't even get looked at in my XBs. Insurance companies insure the driver and the COST of the car/repair, not the tendencies of how the car will be driven.
insurance companies also don't get charged for your tickets, but instead get to charge you, they don't care.

I still think the whole story stinks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually insurance companies play the numbers game. If your 26 then your in an age bracket. If you drive a sporty car then your in a sports car bracket. If your car is new then thats a bracket. Then the fun part starts. Most will not only look at tickets and accidents but they will check your finances. High credit ratings get a low rate and bad credt costs you more.

Its the old story of we dont know YOU but we know your type......

As a former traffic cop I can say that I never pulled over a red car. I pulled over numerous drivers who were operating a red car. I will admit that wide tires that lay down rubber at the light would get my attention not to mention loud exhaust. You could say that in most cases one went with the other. Not to many grannys driving a TC with a wing and loud exhaust and of course the windows shaking from the subs thumpin.

Perception can play into the fact that some people get stopped more than others. I watched a guy by himself cruising with a larger 12inch or so screen where his mirror should have been and a screen on each visor along with a second large screen between the seats and two more on the headrests in the back seat. I kept waiting for somene to NOTICE him driving down the freeway at 10 pm. Im sure he was impressing someone but I had a slightly different opinion.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Capt Richard said:
Not to many grannys driving a TC with a wing and loud exhaust and of course the windows shaking from the subs thumpin.
I would say that I plan on being that granny someday, but I'm not a tC type person. :p I'm looking forward to being old and behaving badly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.